Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Softball

Old 11-14-11, 04:26 PM
All Ohio

Softball Hitting Vs. Baseball Hitting

Here goes a loaded question.... Is there truly any significant difference between teaching a girl the proper softball swing vs. teaching a boy the proper baseball swing. I've talked to some pretty knowledgable people and I can't get a consistent answer. Is there any difference????
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-11, 06:59 PM
All Yappi

Send a message via AIM to MCGal
I don't think the differences lie in the swing itself as much as how you perceive the ball coming out of the pitcher's hand and what to look for to spot junk pitches that kind of thing. I think the fundamentals of the swing itself would be primarily the same. Keep your weight shifted back (wait and be quick), bring it forward through the swing as you 'throw your hands at the ball' and bring the bat through the zone, timing of the opening of the hips/uncorking of your core, etc.
Old 11-20-11, 07:50 PM
All Ohio

Baseball vs. Fastpitch

I like to joke that if Fastpitch was any easier they would call it baseball...

Not much difference in swing mechanics however, reaction timing for Fastpitch has to be quicker than baseball.
Old 12-05-11, 04:40 PM
All Yappi

If you're throwing your hands at the ball, they're going to end up inside of the ball? and you're right about the core/lower half being the basis/power of the swing.
Old 12-05-11, 11:07 PM
Colerain Booster

Send a message via AIM to Honor&Glory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne88 View Post
Here goes a loaded question.... Is there truly any significant difference between teaching a girl the proper softball swing vs. teaching a boy the proper baseball swing. I've talked to some pretty knowledgable people and I can't get a consistent answer. Is there any difference????
mechanically, no, virtually no difference. Weight transfer, balance, hips open before hands come through, slot position, power v, extension, follow through...all the same...
the main difference in softball is hitting is almost a complete guessing game. a hitter doesn't look at the ball in softball for the grip to see the pitch that's coming (in baseball hitters look for the ball behind the pitchers ear to pick up the grip and then look for the black dot in the middle of the ball to determin pitch). In Softball the hitter is looking at the pitcher's stride and step to determine the pitch, if at all possible...mostly they are just guessing because by the time the pitcher releases the ball she is 40 feet away from home plate and bringing her fastball above 60 for the really good pitchers...that reaction time from that distance is just impossible to guage from a pitch coming from knee/waist level. Guess fastball and hope it is.
Old 12-06-11, 12:39 AM
All Yappi

Good point on the approach to hitting being different... watching the pitcher's stride/stance really does give away junk pitches for most kids... the best pitchers are those that can hide what they're bringing.
Old 12-06-11, 04:32 PM
Colerain Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TELLIS1 View Post
. In Softball the hitter is looking at the pitcher's stride and step to determine the pitch, if at all possible...mostly they are just guessing because by the time the pitcher releases the ball she is 40 feet away from home plate and bringing her fastball above 60 for the really good pitchers...that reaction time from that distance is just impossible to guage from a pitch coming from knee/waist level. Guess fastball and hope it is.
I definately dont agree with this at all, nor with the hands at the ball . If you throw your hands at the ball your hands are gonna get peeled by a screwball eventually . Guessing and watching strides , I dont think so! Thats insulting to girls who work really hard at hitting . Do some research on your own would be my advice , and I am not saying take my advice either, but I try to tell my daughter and her hitting coach as well ( she dont like to listen to me any more) pick the pitch up early , concentrating on the hip and release point of pitch . Picking up spins is essential as you get older . It would be almost impossible to pick up the ball if you are looking at strides and steps and then back to hands and release point. Find a reputible instuctor , and someone who is up to date on hitting because trying to guess wont be good for your average .j/s[/quote]

? My daughter has seen some of the best instructers in the state/region and nowhwere did I say to throw the hands at the ball. Yes you track the ball from the pitchers hip but you will see if a pitcher shortens her stride for a changeup at the same time...you will also pick up what side of the power line she falls on to determin location as well. FYI Candrea is the one I heard speak about hitters reading a pitcher.
Old 12-06-11, 07:44 PM
All Ohio

Wink Hitting

10 years back fastpitch coaches did use to teach a very compact swing just to make contact. Not so now.... mechanics and practice/training routines will basically be the same for both.

H&G does bring up another good training point. Getting pitching training videos to watch will help the batter gain an edge with fast pitch as they watch from the coach what the mechanics will be to deliver said pitch regardless if it is a ground and pound or leaper style pitcher. Baseball players are going away from the tall and fall and drive and dive to a more consistent balanced delivery with just a grip change and maybe a little arm angle change.

Bottom line is good hitters work , work, work on all areas of hitting and challenge themselves to get better. Just like good pitchers and exceptional fielders...
Old 12-06-11, 08:13 PM
Varsity

This has gotten off track so my apologies to Airborne, In my opinion swings are pretty much the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3jsSg1jlMMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3jsSg1jlMM[/url] Side by side of Fastpitch and Baseball!

Last edited by TELLIS1 : 12-08-11 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 12:25 AM
All Yappi

H&G et al, I think you're misunderstanding the comment. I get it either way, you disagree. I've been around softball long enough to know how I would teach hitting.

Tellis, good hitters will look for a number of tells from the pitcher including everything you listed plus stride length and other things mentioned.
Old 12-07-11, 06:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
H&G et al, I think you're misunderstanding the comment. I get it either way, you disagree. I've been around softball long enough to know how I would teach hitting.

Tellis, good hitters will look for a number of tells from the pitcher including everything you listed plus stride length and other things mentioned.
Why oversimplify something that's simple in the first place? That's what makes "hitting" so hard in the first place; what's between the ears. I'm not going to give a free lesson on here, but analyzing a pitcher's stride? The best hitters in the game are the dumbest, just remember that.
Old 12-07-11, 07:25 PM
All Yappi

Oversimplify? how is looking at a pitcher's step/stride complex?
Old 12-07-11, 07:27 PM
Colerain Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMichaelMichaels View Post
Why oversimplify something that's simple in the first place? That's what makes "hitting" so hard in the first place; what's between the ears. I'm not going to give a free lesson on here, but analyzing a pitcher's stride? The best hitters in the game are the dumbest, just remember that.
And the worst posters on here are, too.

Mcgal, I do not doubt your knowledge in the least and I agree with most of what you say.
Old 12-07-11, 07:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
Oversimplify? how is looking at a pitcher's step/stride complex?
Because while your approach may change from situation to situation, changing the dynamics of your technique is counterproductive. I'm walking a fine line because I don't give information away for free.
Old 12-07-11, 07:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honor&Glory View Post
And the worst posters on here are, too.

Mcgal, I do not doubt your knowledge in the least and I agree with most of what you say.
Thank you for acknowledging my abilities during my playing days.
Old 12-07-11, 09:16 PM
All American

Quote:
Because while your approach may change from situation to situation, changing the dynamics of your technique is counterproductive. I'm walking a fine line because I don't give information away for free.

Let me know where to send a check. Your brilliance is amazing and you deserve to be compensated for sharing your wisdom on a chat board.
Old 12-07-11, 11:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mje037 View Post
Let me know where to send a check. Your brilliance is amazing and you deserve to be compensated for sharing your wisdom on a chat board.
I haven't shared anything that isn't already common knowledge through resources such as experience and being around the game. The true knowledge is what's really for sale, and as you pointed out, cannot be demonstrated over a message board.
Old 12-08-11, 10:13 AM
Colerain Booster

Quote:
I haven't shared anything that isn't already common knowledge through resources such as experience and being around the game. The true knowledge is what's really for sale, and as you pointed out, cannot be demonstrated over a message board.
Go hikack another thread in another forum. Candrea you are not.
Old 12-08-11, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honor&Glory View Post
Go hikack another thread in another forum. Candrea you are not.
Not trying to be. I'm amused how amateurs fight tooth and nail for credibility for little Suzy's parents' dime. These "somebodys" walk around like they actually matter.
Old 12-08-11, 02:16 PM
Colerain Booster

Quote:
Not trying to be. I'm amused how amateurs fight tooth and nail for credibility for little Suzy's parents' dime. These "somebodys" walk around like they actually matter.
Who's fighting? You can find every single piece of Candrea's hitting system on line free of charge. Howard Carrier, who's hitting system I don't like and who's opinions on women's physiology borders on the level of Dr. Mengela, doesn't charge a dime for his instruction...and the coaches who charge for their weekly hour of work usually have strong resumes. I know this: my daughter wouldn't be the catcher she is now without the coach I pay and she wouldn't be the hitter she is without the FREE help of Denis Hogel, the college exposure coach of the Cincy Static...its all about doing your due diligence.
Old 12-08-11, 05:11 PM
All American

I just thought it was funny how this guy was "walking a fine line. This kind of knowledge" can't be given away for free. Really?? This whole mesaage board is full of people's opinions.
Old 12-09-11, 10:30 AM
All Ohio

My opinion is that the swings are very similar. I think the girls need to be quicker with their hands because of the distance, so loading and hand position are critical. From the waist down everything seems the same. The head is the same. What is called into question are the hands at objective, the positioning of the arms and the follow thru. I've been involved with baseball for years now and have gone to camps, clinics and different instructors. Very minor changes and usually it's just terminology differences. But softball, there is a wide gap in what is being taught. Some teach a traditional baseball swing, but others are teaching this swing where the arms are bent and the hitter basically creates a box and brings the bat level at the beginning of the swing. Odd to watch, don't know if it works.
Old 01-05-12, 03:30 PM
All Ohio

Just got back from a Winter Camp in Lakeland Florida. It was a baseball camp that I took both my son and daughter to. There were many professional/retired MLB guys there. Many of them had daughters who played softball. I asked the question, "what's different, what should we be doing". I got the answer I am starting to lean towards as the truth. The swing is very much the same. Can't stride like some in baseball teach, but many are not teaching that anymore. Hands have to be very quick to the ball so early loading (trigger action) is important. Other than that, not much different in a swing. Not talking about bunts or slapping, just regular old hitting.
Old 03-30-12, 09:11 PM
Varsity

Thumbs down

Quote:
Amazing!!
Old 03-30-12, 09:14 PM
Varsity

Quote:
must be tough holding the book of softball knowledge and reserving it for the highest bidder! softball brings out a lot of your kind!