Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Notices

Old 03-19-12, 01:15 AM
Junior Varsity

State The Obvious is on a distinguished road
Great Ohio Hs Milers

These are my top 10 milers in Ohio High School History. This opinion is just based on what they accomplished while in HS. They not only ran fast but won State Titles, set State records and ran competitively in the mile on the national level. There have been others I haven't included who may have run as fast but maybe did it once or were more notorious in the longer events.

60's....REGGIE McAFEE....State Champ 1968 in 4:08 for mile which was the Ohio record at the time. Also won 880 that day. At UNC became first African American to break 4:00. Cincinnati Courter Tech.

70's....RON ADDISON... Ran 4:05.9 for mile in 1972 in Baton Rouge two weeks after winning State Mile Title for Cleve. Rhodes.

80's....JOHN ZISHKA....Ran a 4:02.4 1600 in 1980 a couple weeks after narrowly losing a stirring battle with Malabars Mike Hallibrin (4:07.7) at the State Meet....Won Golden West Invitational Mile breaking Jim Ryun's meet record in the process....
The Lancaster native has to be included in any discussion about the best distance runner in Ohio HS history.

80's....BOB KENNEDY....National Outdoor Mile Champ 1988....His 4:05.13 1600 still stands as our State Record, having been run within the OHSAA season, unlike the superior marks of Zishka, Addison, See and Borchers. Ran 3:47.69 for 1500....Also the indoor mile record holder at 4:10.59 until Brannon Kidder broke his 24 year old record this season.

90's...DARRELL HUGHES (4:07.1) ... Galloway Westland two-time outdoor State 1600/800 champ had one of the most lethal kicks seen in Ohio track history....Ran 3:48.38 for 1500 meters as a senior in 1991.

RECENT.... JEFF SEE.... National Outdoor Mile Champ 2005 ....Three time State Champ....Also 1600/800 State Champ for Middletown....Broke Alan Webb's Soph mile record (4:06.07) at Nationals....Had devastating kick so usually ran to win but did post a 4:04.83 mile PR.

RECENT....SAM BORCHERS...National Indoor Mile Champ....National Outdoor Mile Champ. Only Ohio schoolboy to win both indoor and outdoor titles. Three time D3 State Mile Champion for Yellow Springs....1500 PR of 3:46.32 (Fastest in Ohio history)....Ran 4:03.33 mile to win National Title in 2007 (That is around 4:01.9 for 1600 conversion..fastest in Ohio history until Kidders run beat it by 2 tenths of a sec)....Twice placed third at USA Junior Nationals at 1500....best kicker ever? ....Argument for best Ohio Miler Ever.

RECENT....CORY LESLIE....Ran 3:49.51 1500 at USA Junior Nationals his senior year at Sandusky Perkins - 2008 ....Two time D2 1600 champ with PR of 4:08.41.

RECENT....COLBY ALEXANDER (4:07.9) ....Strongsville Mustang ran 4:10 or under 8 times in 2010. Under 4:10 six times. That may be an Ohio record for one season....Set Ohio indoor 1600 record of 4:09.53 in winning State Title (2010)....State outdoor mile Champ 2010....Ran second fastest 1500 in Nation at USA Junior Nationals (3:50) after running 3:51 in the qualifying round. Colby placed 4th in the final....Indoor All-American in Mile (3rd at Nationals), Outdoor All-American in Mile losing National Title by a little over a second.

RECENT....BRANNON KIDDER....Lancaster....All-Time fastest miler in state history. His 4th place finish in 4:03.12 at the Dream Mile in NYC converts to 4:01.71 for 1600 and both times are #1 in Ohio history. Also owns the Ohio Indoor Mile record. Broke Bob Kennedy's 24 year old record of 4:10.59 with a 4:09.10 mile at the Brooks PR Invitational in Seattle. ....Almost set the Ohio outdoor record junior year at the Midwest Distance Gala in Chicago running 4:06.73 for one mile in taking the Gala Title. That converts to 4:05.30 for 1600....Outdoor State Mile Champ as a junior and again as a senior. Completed a 1600/800 double as a senior both indoor and outdoor. ....Indoor State Mile win this year came one week after placing fourth at the Indoor National Meet in NYC.

Last edited by State The Obvious; 06-09-12 at 05:02 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-12, 10:54 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
No complaint from me with that list.... outstanding research...
Old 03-19-12, 11:14 AM
Junior Varsity

xcountry315 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
No complaint from me with that list.... outstanding research...
That looks like a really solid list to me. When i saw the thread title, the first name that popped into my head was Mason Ward, 2x state champ from colerain who ran 4:07 for a full mile at Golden West... but i can't make an argument that he should replace any of the guys listed there.
Old 03-19-12, 11:52 AM
Junior Varsity

Wow, xcountry315....I hated leaving Ward off. He was the final one I cut from the list. Two time State Champ. A 4:07.5 mile PR. Did compete well on a national level. Definitely worthy. It's kind of like an Ivy League school. There are lots who are good enough to be admitted but only room for a limited number.

Ohio has such a rich tradition in the mile. It should probably be expanded to a top 20 list!
Old 03-19-12, 07:36 PM
All American

ccrunner4815
I like the list.

I wanted to ask if Alan Scharshu from Austintown Fitch would be in this mix.

He was dominant in XC, 1600, and 3200. Maybe one of the most versatile without having a top 10 time?
Old 03-19-12, 09:41 PM
Junior Varsity

ccrunner4815....Scharsu did have a pretty quick PR of 4:09.7 for one mile (1978). He was, however, much more well known for his accomplishments at longer distances. He ran 8:44 for two miles and was Golden West Champ at two miles.

He even ran a 14:20 track 5K in HS while at Austintown Fitch.

Alan would have to be one of the leading candidates for "Ohio's greatest HS distance runner" though. Regarding his mile, as good as it is, his accomplishments on the national level were in the longer races.
Old 03-20-12, 02:08 AM
All World

moemancc
I think that list is great. Rodenbaugh from Talawanda would be another to consider. As far as Borchers for best kicker, he was great, no doubt, but I think Jeff had the better kick. He had a gear few high school distance runners ever dream about having. I'll never forget 2 instances with him: What would have been my senior year, his junior one, with the thyroid condition, going from last to first in the final 200 meters to win his second consecutive 1600. The second would be the next year at nationals how he totally dominated a good field to win that national mile championship.
Old 03-20-12, 09:33 PM
Junior Varsity

moemancc....I remember Rodenbaugh running straight 62's to win the State title his senior year. He went on to earn All-American in the mile a few weeks later at Nationals. Leaving Rhodenbaugh, Scharsu, Fry, Edwards and Ward off this list was really difficult. They'd be on the top 10 list in the vast majority of other states undoubtedly. Ohio is a great, great state for producing national caliber, sub 4:10 milers.

As for See vs Borchers, I saw the race you described and yes, See had one hellacious kick to be sure. My best memory of one of their kicks was a kick unleashed by Borchers. It came after high school. See had established himself at Ohio State and Sam was a green frosh at Penn State. The Big Ten Outdoor Meet was held on an extremely windy Saturday at OSU and both runners met up in the finals of the 1500 in a long-awaited match-up between two of Ohio's high school mile legends.

Because of the extreme wind (and because it was a Big Ten 1500) the pace was slow from the get-go. It didn't even pick up after an 800 around 2:30. It dawdled thru 3/4 and then still didn't pick up much! But off the turn and down the backstretch and into the teeth of the wind See took off. Borchers went with him. They began to seperate from a very good field. Around the turn and into the homestretch they flew with See holding a slight edge on Sam. With 50 to go, it looked like See was going to win a very close race when it seemed that even tho he was already at top speed, Sam had yet another gear and got past Jeff for the win.

They didn't start their kick til the backstretch and started it into the teeth of the wind and still ran 49 seconds for their last lap!!!!

Sam showed an otherworldy gear to push past a flat out sprinting See. Borchers became the first freshman in Big Ten history to win the mile/1500 title.

Last edited by State The Obvious; 03-21-12 at 10:26 PM..
Old 03-21-12, 12:55 AM
All World

moemancc
I forgot about that college race. I was speaking strictly high school. Jeff was so good he could have won state in any race from the 400 on up. I remember splitting him at 47 in the 4x4 for Middletown his senior year and just about crapping myself. I mean here was a guy who just made it look effortless.
Old 03-21-12, 10:25 PM
Junior Varsity

Mason Ward And A Bakers Dozen!!

At the 2000 Golden west Invitational Mason Ward ran a 4:07.4 one mile that converts to around 4:05.94 for 1600. He won the Penn Relays Mile in 2000. He was the D1 State Mile Champ in 1999 and 2000.

I am inclined to add him to the above top 10 list.

I'm not clear who to remove.

Maybe we make it a Baker's Dozen list and throw in Ward and Jake Edwards and one more. Jake was our State mile champ in 2007 indoors and outdoors. Ran 4:09.89 to win outdoors. Then took 5th at the Outdoor Nationals (All-American) the same year Borchers won ('07). In that race he ran a 4:08.02 mile.

Then I would nominate one of the following for the final spot in the Bakers Dozen. 3: Scharsu, Fry or Rhodenbaugh. My pick would be Jesse Rhodenbaugh. He won State in 2001 for Oxford Tallawanda. He ran 4:08.70 with straight 62's. He went on to place 3rd at the Outdoor Nationals in the mile earning All-American honors. In summary, Won State. Ran super fast. Third at Nats. That's my pick to round out the Bakers Dozen!

Last edited by State The Obvious; 03-22-12 at 08:21 AM..
Old 03-22-12, 01:49 AM
All World

moemancc
Pretty good group there. The thing about Edwards that is nuts is I don't think he broke 4:30 until his senior year.
Old 03-24-12, 10:00 AM
All Region

RedeemTeamXC is on a distinguished road
Does Danny Neff from Vandalia Butler fit in anywhere?
Old 03-24-12, 10:27 AM
Junior Varsity

I didn't include Neff because of his lack of success at the national level relative to the others on the list plus having only one race under 4:10 (4:09 mile Sr. year). He ran poorly the only time he ran the Outdoor Nationals and I don't think he ran Indoor Nationals. He did run 4:09 at Arcadia in April but that ended up as his PR. All top 10 plus the Bakers dozen listed later (Edwards, Ward, Rhodenbaugh) were faster and usually more than once. Plus they all had great success at National level meets.

He was a two-time outdoor State 1600 winner and an indoor State 1600 winner and an indoor/outdoor double winner (1600/800) but the above mentioned factors kept him off my list.

As for 1600/800 doublers....definitely one of the best. But See, Leslie, McAfee and others were able to double as well and still posted PR's and National results superior to Neff.

Danny did win the most competitive 1600 in Ohio Outdoor State Meet history in 2009 when 9th place ran 4:16 and didn't make podium! Hudson's Steve Fischer, the unlucky 9th place finisher that day was only a few tenths slower than Danny's State Meet Championship winning time of the previous year....yet didn't make podium!!!!
Old 03-24-12, 02:03 PM
All American

ccrunner4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by State The Obvious View Post
At the 2000 Golden west Invitational Mason Ward ran a 4:07.4 one mile that converts to around 4:05.94 for 1600. He won the Penn Relays Mile in 2000. He was the D1 State Mile Champ in 1999 and 2000.

I am inclined to add him to the above top 10 list.

I'm not clear who to remove.

Maybe we make it a Baker's Dozen list and throw in Ward and Jake Edwards and one more. Jake was our State mile champ in 2007 indoors and outdoors. Ran 4:09.89 to win outdoors. Then took 5th at the Outdoor Nationals (All-American) the same year Borchers won ('07). In that race he ran a 4:08.02 mile.

Then I would nominate one of the following for the final spot in the Bakers Dozen. 3: Scharsu, Fry or Rhodenbaugh. My pick would be Jesse Rhodenbaugh. He won State in 2001 for Oxford Tallawanda. He ran 4:08.70 with straight 62's. He went on to place 3rd at the Outdoor Nationals in the mile earning All-American honors. In summary, Won State. Ran super fast. Third at Nats. That's my pick to round out the Bakers Dozen!
State the Obvious,

You did start the thread and i suppose have the final say so...but my vote would be for Scharsu over Rodenbaugh...just sayin!
Old 03-24-12, 03:57 PM
All American

said_aouita
Name dropping here; what was Dave Briggs (Sylvania Southview- graduated around 1989) PR for the 1600m? I know he won state XC, but also remember him being darn fast in track.

Throw a couple more names out there from the late 80's- Marice Swain (Akron Buctel) and DeWayne Spears (Lima), anyone remember their 1600m pr's?
Old 03-24-12, 07:28 PM
Junior Varsity

ccrunner4815....Scharsu is surely an Ohio distance legend. While Rhodenbaugh isn't the household name Alan is, the reason I picked Jessie over Alan is based on a couple things.

Alan won the State Mile once, his senior year, in 4:13. Jessie won the State 1600 once, his senior year, in 4:08.

Alan never ran the mile post season for me to ascertain whether he was indeed a national caliber miler. Jessie placed 3rd at the Outdoor Nationals as a senior. Hard to do much better than that!

Alan's PR was 4:09 for a mile (4:08+ conversion to 1600). Jessie matched that for a PR.

In track, Alan was more of a national force at longer distances having earned All-American twice at 2 miles and once at 5000 meters. Especially during that era, a 4:09 would have obviously been very competitive, but not dominating.

All the runners on the top 13 list have PR's that are superior to Alan's in the 1500/1600/mile and all have National All-American honors or the equivalent in the mile event unlike Alan.

It is proof positive that Ohio is an unbelievable state in terms of producing national caliber HS milers when we are debating whether to leave Alan Scharsu off the All-Time top 13 mile list or not!!
Old 03-24-12, 07:51 PM
Junior Varsity

Said Aouita....Dave Briggs won State in XC his senior year at Sylvania Southview (1988). He was a FL (then Kinney) XC national finalist that season. Dave went on to run at Indiana with fellow Ohioans Bob Kennedy and Eric Harsh (State AA 1600 champ, Chagrin Falls).

Dave took 4th in the now famous 4:05.13 State record run by Kennedy at the Shoe in 1988. Dave ran 4:14.90 in that race. His PR doesn't come close to the Baker's Dozen we've listed and his success on the National level was limited to XC. Nonetheless, a great runner for Southview.

Regarding Swain and Spears, I don't know much about them other than they wouldn't be candidates for this list. What do you remember about them?
Old 03-26-12, 08:24 AM
All American

said_aouita
Quote:

Regarding Swain and Spears, I don't know much about them other than they wouldn't be candidates for this list. What do you remember about them?
I just remember they were pretty fast! They were state placers, I'm sure. Not positive about individual titles.
haha...yea, they don't make a top 10 list for the entire state but those names popped into my mind as good milers around the late 80's.
Wasn't sure of their PR's or how close to your top-10 list.
Old 03-26-12, 06:29 PM
All American

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Levi Fox? If memory serves me he won a state title or two, not to mention finishing second twice to Jeff See in CC. Not a track and field guy so I couldnt tell you exactly.
Old 03-26-12, 07:24 PM
Junior Varsity

Levi Fox had a 1600 PR of 4:15 in HS for Troy.
He was a State Champ at 3200 meters and sported a PR of 9:05 and was also a top ten finisher at FL Nationals as a senior , earning himself All-American honors in XC.

Levi was definitely a national caliber "long distance" runner in HS but as a miler he wasn't on par with the milers that make up our top 13 here.
Old 03-27-12, 06:30 PM
All American

ccrunner4815
Quote:
ccrunner4815....Scharsu is surely an Ohio distance legend. While Rhodenbaugh isn't the household name Alan is, the reason I picked Jessie over Alan is based on a couple things.

Alan won the State Mile once, his senior year, in 4:13. Jessie won the State 1600 once, his senior year, in 4:08.

Alan never ran the mile post season for me to ascertain whether he was indeed a national caliber miler. Jessie placed 3rd at the Outdoor Nationals as a senior. Hard to do much better than that!

Alan's PR was 4:09 for a mile (4:08+ conversion to 1600). Jessie matched that for a PR.

In track, Alan was more of a national force at longer distances having earned All-American twice at 2 miles and once at 5000 meters. Especially during that era, a 4:09 would have obviously been very competitive, but not dominating.

All the runners on the top 13 list have PR's that are superior to Alan's in the 1500/1600/mile and all have National All-American honors or the equivalent in the mile event unlike Alan.

It is proof positive that Ohio is an unbelievable state in terms of producing national caliber HS milers when we are debating whether to leave Alan Scharsu off the All-Time top 13 mile list or not!!
We will have to agree to disagree on Scharsu...make it a top 14!
Old 03-27-12, 09:04 PM
Junior Varsity

I'd have to put Scott Fry ahead of Alan if we make it a top 14!
Old 03-29-12, 02:17 PM
All Region

im2fast4u is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Levi Fox had a 1600 PR of 4:15 in HS for Troy.
He was a State Champ at 3200 meters and sported a PR of 9:05 and was also a top ten finisher at FL Nationals as a senior , earning himself All-American honors in XC.

Levi was definitely a national caliber "long distance" runner in HS but as a miler he wasn't on par with the milers that make up our top 13 here.
Speaking of Levi Fox, did he ever end up doing anything big at OSU? Came out as a stud from HS but never really heard of him doing anything big in college
Old 03-29-12, 04:00 PM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Follow-up on two of the individuals:

Reggie McAfee lowered the then all-time state record 2 times his senior year. On Monday May 12, 1969, McAfee broke the then record of 4:15.3 with his 4:13.3 mile at the Earle Redmond Memorial meet at Cincinnati's Sycamore Stadium (synthetic track). He also won the 880yd in 1:54.1 at the same meet. Four days later, McAfee followed that up with a 4:13.9 mile / 1:54.4 880yd double at the regional meet at Welcome Stadium (on cinder track). Finally, at the State meet, McAfee whacked 4.8 seconds off his mile best and 1.6 seconds off his 880yd best with his 4:08.5/1:52.5 MT double. The state meet record was whacked by over 9 seconds, and the 880yd was over 2 seconds faster than the previous best. He was a man among boys that 24th day of May in 1969!

Regarding John Zishka, it was mentioned that he ran 4:02.4 for the 1600m a few weeks after just losing the 1600m at the state meet. Technically, that is incorrect. He ran a 4:03.85 mile, to be precise, at the Golden West Invite that year, not an actual 4:02.4 for 1600m. On another note, Zishka also ran a still-standing Ohio 5000m record of 13:55.65 that same summer.

FYI - As a follow-up note, McAfee split 2:02 enroute to his 4:08.5 at the state meet.

Last edited by JAVMAN83; 03-30-12 at 06:11 AM..
Old 03-29-12, 11:25 PM
Junior Varsity

JAVMAN....interesting notes on Reggie. A definite Ohio HS miling legend (and 880).

I just converted Zishka's mile but technically you are correct at 4:03.85. It's amazing how many California track buffs have had the opportunity to see so many of our Ohio high school State Mile Champs come out and win what was once upon a time the biggest prize of them all, the Golden West Invitational Championship.

Regarding Zishka's 5000....I'm predicting that is one Ohio record that will not be broken. To run that fast for a 5K, you need to be able to run a 4:02 mile and be very strong as well. That will be on the books for many, many moons.
Old 03-30-12, 06:09 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
JAVMAN....interesting notes on Reggie. A definite Ohio HS miling legend (and 880).

I just converted Zishka's mile but technically you are correct at 4:03.85. It's amazing how many California track buffs have had the opportunity to see so many of our Ohio high school State Mile Champs come out and win what was once upon a time the biggest prize of them all, the Golden West Invitational Championship.

Regarding Zishka's 5000....I'm predicting that is one Ohio record that will not be broken. To run that fast for a 5K, you need to be able to run a 4:02 mile and be very strong as well. That will be on the books for many, many moons.
I figured you'd converted Zishka's 4:03.85. I've seen others do it as well.

Never say never, though. Borcher's broke Zishka's mile mark, so I'm sure someone out there can break the 5K record as well. What I think would be a great thing to see the major meets after the regular season run the 5K instead of the 2mile or 3200m. Otherwise, the opportunities are too few and it might be a long time before that 5K record is broken.
Old 03-30-12, 06:33 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2fast4u View Post
Speaking of Levi Fox, did he ever end up doing anything big at OSU? Came out as a stud from HS but never really heard of him doing anything big in college
Levi was never what he was projected to be. He was solid at OSU but not spectacular. I think he even sat out a year. If I'm not mistaken his times in college did not improve from what he ran in HS.
Old 03-30-12, 03:13 PM
All Region

im2fast4u is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Levi was never what he was projected to be. He was solid at OSU but not spectacular. I think he even sat out a year. If I'm not mistaken his times in college did not improve from what he ran in HS.
Do you know what happened to him?
Old 03-30-12, 07:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2fast4u View Post
Do you know what happened to him?
College Life
Old 04-30-12, 03:44 PM
Junior Varsity

Update on a few of the guys on my proposed All-Time list.

Jeff See ran a 3:37+ at Stanford last night for 8th overall while Cory Leslie ran 3:39 to win his heat in the same meet. It looks like Leslie was just doing speedwork as he will more than likely concentrate on the Steeple at the Nationals and Olympic Trials.

it looks like See meanwhile, gave up his short-lived experiment with the barriers and will be in prime condition for the June Trials at 1500. He was the first runner not to make it to the finals in the 2008 1500 Trials.

See, running pro for Saucony and Leslie in his final year at OSU have progressed nicely.

Freshman Colby Alexander ran a 4:05 anchor mile on Oregon's 4 x mile relay Saturday at the Penn Relays. He's been very consistent in his first three mile/1500 races so far this season. All three have been in that 4:04/4:05 range for actual one mile or 1500 conversion.