Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Notices

Old 03-29-12, 08:20 PM
All District

TechFal is on a distinguished road
What a poor sport!

http://www.flowrestling.org/speaker/...-66-KG-FS-Gold

Just because he doesn't lose often doesn't mean he gets to act like this.. Metcalf embarrasses the U.S. in this match, just like he did Iowa when he got beat by Caldwell in the finals of NCAA's.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-12, 09:19 PM
All Ohio

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Metcalf and his "shenanigans".....SMH
Old 03-29-12, 09:47 PM
All Region

duckunder21 is on a distinguished road
I'm getting sick of a lot of the Iowa guys antics when they lose. Nothing wrong with being a competitor and hate losing, but jeez you're representing your country right now... Act with a little bit of class.

I hope he and Dustin Schlatter match up in the trials, renew that old rivalry. I do think Schlatter is a bad match up for him in freestyle, since Schlatter is a much better athlete and technician.
Old 03-29-12, 10:48 PM
All American

Slammin Sammy
"He was wrestling through the whistle...."

Same excuse I heard when he rolled through Caldwell in the NCAA finals after the whistle. He should have wrestled the six minutes before the final whistle. Win and lose with class.
Old 03-29-12, 11:16 PM
All American

Falcon81
Nice front head lock. You know basketball and football players do 10 times the crap we complain about and its not near as intense and physical and you expect a intense competitor to turn into a instant choir boy the second the whistle blows... Quit over analyzing the guys every mistake....Wrestling is tuff and demanding enough!
Old 03-30-12, 12:51 AM
All Ohio

BHiatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon81 View Post
Nice front head lock. You know basketball and football players do 10 times the crap we complain about ...
...and nobody really blinks an eye when there's pushing and shoving in these sports.
Old 03-30-12, 06:23 AM
Varsity

Dies Irae is on a distinguished road
I agree with both sides. On one hand, I'd expect him to act with more class. On the other hand, we do accept MUCH more crap from athletes in other sports than we do in our own beloved sport of wrestling.

These two points both lead to one conclusion which, I think, is AWESOME...

WRESTLERS AND WRESTLING FANS HOLD OURSELVES TO A HIGHER STANDARD. The fact that we're even talking about this proves this to be true and speaks to the heart and character of our sport.
Old 03-30-12, 06:42 AM
All American

said_aouita
I blame this guy.

Old 03-30-12, 06:45 AM
All Region

toledodean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
I blame this guy.

LOL. yea me to..lol
Old 03-30-12, 07:00 AM
All Ohio

Big D 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post
...and nobody really blinks an eye when there's pushing and shoving in these sports.
When was the last time you saw a college wrestler or coach in the news for an arrest on felony charges, selling things for tats, recruiting violations......

nuff said.
Old 03-30-12, 07:07 AM
All American

said_aouita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D 185 View Post
When was the last time you saw a college wrestler .. in the news for an arrest on felony charges

Last year.
Old 03-30-12, 07:44 AM
All Ohio

Bitterrunner-up
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledodean View Post
So, what did Metcalf do wrong?
What I seen was him wrestle through the whistle, the Canadian took exception to it, big deal?? The Canadian did more trash talking in my eye's.
I also think Metcalf should have had 2(back exposure) before the Canadians front headlock roll. Early in the match, they both get warned for heavy head banging and then in the 2nd Metcalf clearly gets poked in the eyes.
Theres an old saying "show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser!" -Dan Gable. Even though I seen nothing wrong by Metcalf here.
I always find it amazing that two people can see the same footage and come away with completely different opinions on what they saw. Makes you really question eye-witness accounts.
Old 03-30-12, 08:26 AM
All Ohio

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterrunner-up View Post
I always find it amazing that two people can see the same footage and come away with completely different opinions on what they saw. Makes you really question eye-witness accounts.
opinion
winning isnt everything its the only thing. nobody remembers who came in second.

wrestlers arent on the mat to win a sportmanship award they were given scholorships to win matches and championships for their schools.
like it or not thats a fact.
Old 03-30-12, 08:47 AM
All Ohio

Wads_Larry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
opinion
winning isnt everything its the only thing. nobody remembers who came in second.

wrestlers arent on the mat to win a sportmanship award they were given scholorships to win matches and championships for their schools.
If the "only thing" then maybe wrestlers should use hidden objects or have managers that interfere when the ref is out of position. WAIT a minute, they do! You can catch it RAW on Monday nights. Fortunately not in our schools and colleges yet. Though it wouln't hurt if masks were allowed.
Old 03-30-12, 09:08 AM
All American

Falcon81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D 185 View Post
When was the last time you saw a college wrestler or coach in the news for an arrest on felony charges, selling things for tats, recruiting violations......

nuff said.
LOL....Do you
have at least an hour???? You were kidding ...Right?
Old 03-30-12, 09:12 AM
Freshman

cal town is on a distinguished road
thru the whistle my foot...he didn't even shoot on the legs til after the whistle.
Old 03-30-12, 09:34 AM
All Ohio

Lightweight4life is on a distinguished road
I think it was maybe a little too much at the end, but it was just "wrestling through the whistle". I think they are taking conditioning out of the matches which completely leaves US at a disadvantage considering most of our FS/GR reps. come from a 7 minute folkstyle match background. Honestly I like the passion from Metcalf, it is a finals match and at least you can say he wants to win it for our country, maybe he took it a little too far, but you can obviously hear the other wrestler yelling "I'm the man!" so what do you expect him to do?
Old 03-30-12, 09:36 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon81 View Post
LOL....Do you
have at least an hour???? You were kidding ...Right?
I'm with Big D on this one, maybe i'm just ignorant about these violations, but I certainly don't remember any "felony" charges or recruiting violations. I remember Andrew Long and everything unfortunate that happened to him. To my knowledge he was kind of the victim in that situation.
Old 03-30-12, 09:49 AM
All Ohio

Bitterrunner-up
Quote:
opinion

Fact, there hasn't been a a World level American wrestler over the age of 38 since Chris Campbell. So, all will "retire" by their late 30s. They've got three or four more decades in the workforce where they have to deal with people. And no one, not even Cael wins all the time...ont just on the mat , but off.

While I am a huge fan of winning, in every match there is a loser and to say winning is the "only thing" is to discount all the lessons wrestling teaches it's participants. Lessons about hard work and self reliance, discipline and toughness can be,and are learned by wrestlers who never make a World Team or never make theState Tournament. Every wrestler takes these lessons into their adult lives and I would argue it is why many wrestlers are so successful.
Old 03-30-12, 10:01 AM
Freshman

Chriswrestler328 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
opinion

You could not be more wrong with this quote. Many coaches are as much if not more concerned about the character of the athlete than their skills. They can train a person with good character to be a better athlete, it is very hard to train a person with bad character to be a better person. I can think of a quite a few state champions that never made it to the next level due to character flaws.
Old 03-30-12, 10:04 AM
All Ohio

tkdn_wizard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal town View Post
thru the whistle my foot...he didn't even shoot on the legs til after the whistle.
Anyone who says he "wrestled through the whistle" is either an Iowa fan or a Metcalf fan....are you kidding me? The whistle CLEARLY blew and THEN he shot on Garcia AFTER, how is there any discrepancy with that issue?

IMO - Metcalf didn't get the call reversed, he knew he was in trouble and was probably going to lose, the eye-poke looked unintentional, but it obviously fired Metcalf up, who then decided to get a little chippy with Garcia.....

Regardless of whether you think the takedown was before or after the whistle or "wrestling through the whistle" taunting Garica and making motions with your hands that indicate "come get some" like it's some type of street fight looks classless in any country, way to go Brent....

My whole spin on this - If this was a one time incident involving Metcalf I wouldn't think much of it...he's a competitive guy who doesn't like to lose, who does? but he has a history of repeated antics that make him look like a punk, and how anyone continues to defend this guy baffles me even more.
Old 03-30-12, 10:31 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriswrestler328 View Post
You could not be more wrong with this quote. Many coaches are as much if not more concerned about the character of the athlete than their skills. They can train a person with good character to be a better athlete, it is very hard to train a person with bad character to be a better person. I can think of a quite a few state champions that never made it to the next level due to character flaws.
Tony Jameson comes to mind....
Old 03-30-12, 11:20 AM
All District

josefsmoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightweight4life View Post
Tony Jameson comes to mind....
There are much better examples that Jameson whose career was ended because of a legitimate injury.
Old 03-30-12, 04:12 PM
All Region

eucwrester is on a distinguished road
He still didn't get the two at the end! HaHa. That's funny. He is such a poor sport.
Old 03-30-12, 04:26 PM
All Ohio

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
Quote:
opinion
Nobody remembers who came in second.
Who was that guy that Larry Owings beat in the NCAA finals?
Old 03-30-12, 05:06 PM
All American

Falcon81
Are we watching the same video? Did not Metcalf repeatedly try to shake hands and make things right?? The guys slaps his hand and is mouthing off while Metcalf is trying to make things right, then when Metcalf walks off the mat the guy goes after him...i guess we all see what we want to see to make the point we want to make...Whats new...LOL!
Old 03-30-12, 05:55 PM
All Ohio

LkwdSteve
Whereas you do see pushing and shoving constantly in TEAM sports, you do not see all that often in one-on-one sports. It usually will engender a comment. Just mouth yapping without contact will engender comments.

I winced when Metcalf went ahead with the TD after the whistle blew. WHY? was my question as I was watching it. Not a big deal but still disappointing.
Old 03-30-12, 06:36 PM
All Ohio

stonewallJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdn_wizard View Post
Anyone who says he "wrestled through the whistle" is either an Iowa fan or a Metcalf fan....are you kidding me? The whistle CLEARLY blew and THEN he shot on Garcia AFTER, how is there any discrepancy with that issue?

IMO - Metcalf didn't get the call reversed, he knew he was in trouble and was probably going to lose, the eye-poke looked unintentional, but it obviously fired Metcalf up, who then decided to get a little chippy with Garcia.....

Regardless of whether you think the takedown was before or after the whistle or "wrestling through the whistle" taunting Garica and making motions with your hands that indicate "come get some" like it's some type of street fight looks classless in any country, way to go Brent....

My whole spin on this - If this was a one time incident involving Metcalf I wouldn't think much of it...he's a competitive guy who doesn't like to lose, who does? but he has a history of repeated antics that make him look like a punk, and how anyone continues to defend this guy baffles me even more.
I agree 100%, also Bitterrunnerup's take. There is a HUGE difference in being competitive and being a (insert adjective). This is not the first nor will it be the last time he acts this way.
Old 03-30-12, 07:12 PM
All Ohio

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriswrestler328 View Post
that may be true in jr high and high school.
going to college and graduating to the next level is about winning imo.
Old 03-30-12, 07:16 PM
All American

Falcon81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LkwdSteve View Post
Whereas you do see pushing and shoving constantly in TEAM sports, you do not see all that often in one-on-one sports. It usually will engender a comment. Just mouth yapping without contact will engender comments.

I winced when Metcalf went ahead with the TD after the whistle blew. WHY? was my question as I was watching it. Not a big deal but still disappointing.
That is a very good description of my own reaction at that point, I "winced". But the attempt to apologize in a sense and try and shake hands was worse IMO on how the other guy then reacted. Over all nothing was that outlandish I couldn't understand in a physical all out match like wrestling. Football and basketball get far more out of control!!!