Old 03-10-12, 10:21 AM
All American

frankie is on a distinguished road
Stories about Magic teams....

I saw this on the Yappi "football" site and thought it would be most interesting concerning Magic teams. What are your memories of great games in any Magic sport. Tell your view.. old teams, new teams .... There are enough BHS - St. V stories to be of interest like... 1. The fire 2. the fumble 3. the BB game that was never played and much more!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stories about your teams
Since it's off-season and we don't have anything new to talk about, why not share some stories about your high school's football team? If my father were still around, he could fill this blog with stories about Steubenville. He started watching Big Red games in 1924 and didn't stop until I moved him to Seattle in 2006.

One of his favorite stories took place many years ago. Dad worked in the mill at Weirton Steel, and he was always bragging about Big Red. He was also infamous for calling in sick every Friday night during football season. Big Red went into the Massillon game undefeated and ranked number one in the state in 1967. If you remember that far back, you know Massillon beat us 26-16 in front of about 13,000 people in Harding Stadium. The day after the loss, Dad's buddies painted his locker orange and black. They even glued on a cardboard tombstone with the inscription, "BIG RED-- Died Nov. 2, 1967-- RIP" These guys went to a lot of trouble and used a lot of paint. There was just one small problem. They decorated the wrong locker! The guy who owned the locker was really pissed off. Dad got the biggest laugh of his life. He even kept the tombstone. Believe me, those guys never tried to pull anything like that again!
Old 03-10-12, 04:40 PM
All American

In 1970 both the Magics and the Irish were having off years. The Magics were winless and the Irish had won just once but they would battle through a classic struggle. Those who know Green Street will remember that the "cleaners" stood directly behind the scorboard area about 50 yards back and filled with game parking. With the Magics leading 7 (Al Morakovitz punt return TD) to 6 the Irish were driving toward that end zone and running the option play. There was a bad pitch mishandled by the tailback and recovered by Barberton to end the drive and preserve the win. Here is where the story differs depending on which side you favored. The Irish claim that the explosion and huge resulting fire came and caused the errant pitch while Magic fans say the fumble came first. The flames (captured on the game films) shot high into the sky as the cleaning fluid enabled the burn. People were running to find their kids, or to get their cars out of the parking lot. The final 2 minutes of the game were completed on the other end of the field. Even with down years the two teams had a great competition.

Last edited by frankie; 03-10-12 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 03:03 PM
All Yappi

frecriss is on a distinguished road
This is from my Great-Uncles' memoirs concerning a football game from 1933:

"We had the ball on the four-yard line. We were leading the game 12-0. The play called for Joe to take the ball around right end but Alb had other ideas. Now, other than the girls that would do his school work for him, no one much cared for Joe because he was so cocky and full of himself. But he was the most fantastic gridder I had ever seen. So the ball was snapped and Joe came for the ball but Alb kept it instead and took it straight through the middle of the line for the touch down. Joe was so angry that he wanted to fight the whole team. All we did was laugh. Even Coach Price snickered a little."

Without a doubt, "Joe" and "Alb" are "Jumpin" Joe Williams and Albie Litwak. This is one of my favorite entries in my Great-Uncles' notes but I am still trying to track down what game this actually was. The Barberton Herald archives at the library is missing 1933; That is the only year they don't have.
Old 03-13-12, 01:25 PM
All American

A guy from Kenmore today reminded me of a story from the past great Barberton vs Kenmore series during the Fortner/Sharkey era.. The game was always played at Barberton BUT Kenmore had the "ROCK" at their field. Members of the Magic fandom for years would sneak in and paint the "rock" solid purple... members of the Cardinals returned the favor by painting the stadium doors in Barberton a bright red. So one year in the early 70's when the game was big (72-73-74?) they, Kenmore, decided to leave the gate open the night before the game,,, Of course the Barberton crew did show up purple paint in hand found the open gate and drove to the far end of the Kenmore stadium and with great joy painted the ROCK. They celebrated unmolested as no Kenmore fans were there to protect their beloved rock. so, time to go home and they drove to the gate only to find it now locked and secured. Unable to break the lock off they drove their (parents) car thru and under the chain link fence leaving identifying marks in the paint. and off hidden in the bushes the Card fans howled. But the Magics got the last laugh as they did win the game. Next: The Tie!!!!

Last edited by frankie; 03-13-12 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-14-12, 08:36 PM
All American

The rest of the Story: Barberton 7 St V St M 6 in 1970. It now comes to light;
It seems that Al Morakovitz (sp) was an outstanding DB who played what was called the "monster" position because he was an outstanding tackler and covered the short flat well but lacked the speed to cover deep, hence he became the monster and always had the short zone. He came out of the game on punt returns and his sub was the return man. On this 4th and short yardage to gain there was some question if the Irish would punt the ball and the sub did not come into the game. Morakovitz dropped back as the Magics had a return right called. The Irish punted the ball and the Magics set the wall on the right sideline for the return. The Irish saw the wall being set to their left and most of their players drifted over to get behind the wall. Al Morakovitz fielded the ball and started to the right towards the blocking but saw what the Irish had done. He immediately cut all the way back to the left sideline in front of the Magic bench and "outran" the defenders (65-75-85??yds) for the only Barberton TD of the night and the PAT was good for the lead at 7-6. No one is sure how far the run was? (HELP) also: Who was the kicker? This all happened prior to the explosion and fumble and fire.

Last edited by frankie; 03-14-12 at 08:41 PM. Reason: correct spelling...
Old 03-17-12, 08:33 AM
All Ohio

kzr0 is on a distinguished road
I will not get all this right and maybe someone can help but in 1979 Barberton went 9-1 with their only loss to Detroit Brother Rice. They had a great defense led by Mike Jones, Dan Baker, Bob Genet and Doug Dillon. Their offense was no slouch either with Ron Gable and Larry Ricks in the backfield and Jeff Finley at QB and Dave Peters at WR. That team's defense was nicknamed "Purple Gang" they gave up 44 points all year. The two games that stuck out to me was the Wadsworth and St V games. I remember the Beacon Journal writing up theWadsworth games and saying that Barberton could stop Reynolds (wadworth's Rb) they could stop wadsworth's QB and they can stop wadsworth's WR (names fail me) but they couldn't stop all three and predicted Wadsworth to win. The final score was 22-0 Barberton. First of 5 shutouts. The second was St V who came in with their RB Jerry Gaydash needing somewhere around 50 some yards to reach a 1000 for the year. I recall many players saying he was not going to get it against them. I believe if my memory serves me right he ripped off like a 22 yarder on his first carry so needeing only 30 yards for the rest of the game it was almost guaranteed. Final score Barberton 15 -0 over the Irish. Gaydash finished with around 40 yards total for the day.
Old 03-17-12, 10:34 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzr0 View Post
I will not get all this right and maybe someone can help but in 1979 Barberton went 9-1 with their only loss to Detroit Brother Rice. They had a great defense led by Mike Jones, Dan Baker, Bob Genet and Doug Dillon. Their offense was no slouch either with Ron Gable and Larry Ricks in the backfield and Jeff Finley at QB and Dave Peters at WR. That team's defense was nicknamed "Purple Gang" they gave up 44 points all year. The two games that stuck out to me was the Wadsworth and St V games. I remember the Beacon Journal writing up theWadsworth games and saying that Barberton could stop Reynolds (wadworth's Rb) they could stop wadsworth's QB and they can stop wadsworth's WR (names fail me) but they couldn't stop all three and predicted Wadsworth to win. The final score was 22-0 Barberton. First of 5 shutouts. The second was St V who came in with their RB Jerry Gaydash needing somewhere around 50 some yards to reach a 1000 for the year. I recall many players saying he was not going to get it against them. I believe if my memory serves me right he ripped off like a 22 yarder on his first carry so needeing only 30 yards for the rest of the game it was almost guaranteed. Final score Barberton 15 -0 over the Irish. Gaydash finished with around 40 yards total for the day.
It was actually 1978:

Cleveland John Hay 62-6
Wadsworth 22-0
Birmingham, Michigan Brother Rice 6-13
Grove City 28-12
Canton McKinley 21-6
Cincinnati Woodward 28-0
Walsh 34-0
Toledo Scott 33-0
STVSTM 15-0
Cuyahoga Falls 20-7

Dave Peters scored all five TD's against Toledo Scott which included returning the opening kick-off for a td and returning a fumble for a score.
Old 03-17-12, 10:16 PM
All American

The 20-20 tie in 1971vs Akron Kenmore was a great game. The powerhouse Kenmore team was coached by the great Dick Fortner and among their stars was the Buckey twins one at QB, the other a WR. Magic Tailback Bob Gleichert (Miami U) paced the offense and DE Jim Stock (Notre Dame) paced the Dirty Dozen defense.
----------------------------------------------------------
In 1973 One of the "longest" & most interesting plays occured when Kenmore lined up for a field goal... a Magic (?keith Luck?) broke through and blocked the kick... Sheer joy erupted on the Barberton sideline as the offense started on the field....& gloom set in on the opposite side as the the Kenmore D started on the field from the other side. meanwhile Kevin Murphy had recovered the still LIVE ball and started to run for the Kenmore goal line followed only by the officials... He ran a ways and then hesitated because no Cards were in pursuit... Ran a ways then hesitated, Our coach was calling to him to "RUN, RUN, RUN, and he trottrd some more.... "RUN, Run, Run' by the entire bench area finally convinced him to cross the goal line... still followed by only the officials who signaled TD.. Not sure how much time passed but it took a LOOONNNGGG time and 85 yards to get to the end zone... There were a lot of great plays in that battle but this is the one remembered because it was so different???

The Barberton team in those years was benched on the other side of the field away from the pressbox.... but so were our students...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An "oldtimer the other day tried to tell me about "the thumbtack" game in the 20's ??? when a Magic glued tacks to his fingers to catch better in a a Mud Bowl game. Guesstimate... 1923... player ???? Says it is in our written history... Anyone know// SEE BELOW!

Last edited by frankie; 03-19-12 at 09:59 AM. Reason: corrections & additions..
Old 03-18-12, 07:23 AM
All Yappi

The "Thumbtck Game" Barberton vs. Medina-1919:

The history of Medina football against Barberton is only five games old, but the last time the teams met it was a contest for the ages.

The year was 1919 and the books show a 0-0 tie as the end result. How it got there is another story.

On a mud-soaked field, the Magics jumped out to a 21-0 advantage by halftime when it was discovered Barberton wasn't being very tactful in its gamesmanship.

Actually, its running backs and ends used adhesive tape to secure thumbtacks to their fingers in an effort to make the Medina team give way and for self-defense according to the Nov. 7, 1919, issue of The Gazette.

A Barberton player named Tinstman, who used to play for Medina, tipped the Bees off and the game was temporarily stopped.

At first, Medina refused to continue, but decided to play only after Barberton agreed to take a 50-yard penalty and reset the score to 0-0.

No one moved the ball much the rest of the way and the score ended the same way it started.

This is from the Medina Gazette in 2007 as the Magics and Bees were set to play for the first time since 1919(Medina would win in 2007 and Barberton would win in 2008). Later, it was discovered that there was nothing in the rule books prohibiting Barberton from using thumbtacks and thus, officially, Barberton won the 1919 game 21-0.
Old 03-18-12, 07:32 AM
All Yappi

A Night At The Rubber Bowl-Barberton Vs. Massillon, 1981.

The final score was Barberton 26 and Massillon 24. How it got that way took one of the greatest efforts in Barberton history. A timely goal-line stand, possibly the greatest effort ever by a Barberton QB and possibly the single biggest play in school history paved the way for victory over the mighty Tigers.

Massillon took the opening kick-off and took 17 plays, 78 yards(all on the ground and 7:56 off the clock to score the opening points of the game, a three yard run by FB Greg Grimsley. Massillon missed the PAT but lead 6-0.

Barberton took a differant approach with their first possesion. The Magics went 62 yards in only five plays. QB Bryan Breitenstein hit melvin Johnson on a 23 yard td pass to tie the game at 6. Jeff Sharkey missed the PAT.

Barberton's defense rose up after massillon recovered a fumble at the Barberton 14. Massillon was unable to move the ball and eventually missed a 33 yard FG.

The Magics responded with an 82 yard drive that culminated with atwo yard TD toss from Breitenstein to Randy Usko. Johnson ran in the two point conversion and Barberton lead 14-6.

Massillon responded with a drive that resulted in a FG right before halftime closing the gap to 14-9.

After a short punt to start the second half, Massillon took over at the Barberton 48. From there, halfback George Rocknich went around right end all 48 yards for the score. QB Rick Spielman ran in the two-point conversion and Massillon regained the lead 17-14.

After another Barberton punt, Massillon took over at the Barberton 45. Massillon looked as if they might put the game away as they held a first and goal at the Barberton 4. But the Magics used a great defensive effort stopping the Tigers on four consecutive plays.

After an exchange of punts, Barberton drove the length of the field capping their drive with a 23 yard td pass from Breitenstein to Johnson. Sharkey missed the pat but Barberton had a 20-17 lead.

The lead would not last long. Massillon took over at their own 44 and in one play, regained the lead as Spielman hit Gary Conley for a 56 yard score. The PAT put Massillon on top 24-20 with only three minutes left in the game.

This set up arguably the biggest play in Barberton Football History. On the ensuing kick-off, Melvin Johnson took the ball at his own 25 cut a couple times and raced 75 yards for the winning score. Barberton had the lead 26-24.

Massillon's final try for victory ended when Scott Murphy intercepted a Spielman pass to cap the win for the Magics.

Breitenstein finished the game by completing 14 of 18 passes for 295 yards and three TD's. An amazing performance against a top notch opponant.

Johnson hauled in two TD passes and scored a third TD on that kick-off return. Another amazing performance.

Jeff Sharkey, Scott Murphy, John Sennett, Josh Ferguson, Randy Usko and others also contributed to this monumental victory. Just an outstanding game!
Old 03-18-12, 07:23 PM
All District

Cigam92 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this thread of great memories.... In 1981 I was a 7 year old who loved the Magics. I went to all the games and that game vs. Mass is one of my best memories with my late Grandfather... I still remember that I used the pay phone in the stadium to call my Dad after the game to tell him the Magics won!
Old 03-21-12, 10:12 PM
All American

Next: the StV win 20-14 on a starvegetable (sp) run with a fumble as time run out.. 1975

The game was a defensive struggle as per most of these great games... Barberton dominated play while the clock was running but St V dominated the game when the clock had run out. With the time running out in the first half and the score tied at 7-7... the Irish put on a hard drive that ended with a 4th and 1 at the Magics 1 yard line. The play started, the time ran out, the Irish BULLED their way straight ahead but the Magic Men put up the wall and STONED them at the one on the last play of the half... The joy was short lived as it was discovered that there was some "yellow" grass in the area of umpire City Series Sid... Turned out he had dropped his flag as he called the Barberton team for "Defensive Holding" & a 1/2 the distance penalty to the 1/2 yard line. A game or half can not end with a defensive penalty and the Irish scored on an untimed down.. to make it 7-14 Irish at the half... The pads were cracking on both sides of the ball.

Barberton tied the game in the 3rd Qt and it stood at 14 all with time running out in the 4th Qt. On what was the last play of the game as the clock ran out during the play Magic QB Jeff Saylor dropped back to pass attempting to launch one into the end zone. The Irish pass rush got to him from the backside and knocked the ball out.... The Irish defenders scooped the ball, fumbled it, kicked it and Starvegie ended with it in the end zone for the 20-14 Irish win. A stinging loss but a typical Magic-Irish battle royal. The Irish had scored 13 of their 20 points with no time on the clock!
Old 03-22-12, 08:46 AM
All American

[QUOTE=kzr0;4995502]I will not get all this right and maybe someone can help but in 1979 Barberton went 9-1 with their only loss to Detroit Brother Rice. They had a great defense led by Mike Jones, Dan Baker, Bob Genet and Doug Dillon. Their offense was no slouch either with Ron Gable and Larry Ricks in the backfield and Jeff Finley at QB and Dave Peters at WR. That team's defense was nicknamed "Purple Gang" they gave up 44 points all year. The two games that stuck out to me was the Wadsworth and St V games. I remember the Beacon Journal writing up theWadsworth games and saying that Barberton could stop Reynolds (wadworth's Rb) they could stop wadsworth's QB and they can stop wadsworth's WR (names fail me) but they couldn't stop all three and predicted Wadsworth to win. The final score was 22-0 Barberton. First of 5 shutouts. The second was St V who came in with their RB Jerry Gaydash needing somewhere around 50 some yards to reach a 1000 for the year. I recall many players saying he was not going to get it against them. I believe if my memory serves me right he ripped off like a 22 yarder on his first carry so needeing only 30 yards for the rest of the game it was almost guaranteed. Final score Barberton 15 -0 over the Irish. Gaydash finished with around 40 yards total for the day.[/QUOTe.

*the offense was the "purple Gang" the defense was the "Dirty Dozen" (long before the movie...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Detroit Brother Rice football (their View) Saturday, May 16th, 2009 at 11:43 am Coach Fracassa and Brother Rice By Prepseer

Congratulations to Coach Al Fracassa for being named Michiganian of the Year by the Detroit News. Coach has literally thousands of former players scattered around the country who have benefited from their association with him. One player from the 1978 team recently wrote a letter to Coach with his memories from Brother Rice’s trip to Barberton, Ohio. With all the conversation on Searn’s forum on trips to Ohio this year by Inkster, Highland Park and B.H. Lahser, I thought it was timely to read about Rice’s first trip to Ohio. The letter was recently published in Rice’s Alumni Magazine and is reproduced here.

Dear Coach Fracassa,

I am writing to tell you a story about Brother Rice football that you have probably forgotten. It is about a game that we played against Barberton High School in Akron, Ohio in 1978–30 years ago.

We were ranked #1 in Michigan. Barberton was ranked #1 in Ohio. The Detroit Free Press wrote that this game was bigger than the Michigan-Ohio State game. They said that Michigan’s football pride depended on Brother Rice’s performance against Barberton. On the bus ride down to Akron we tried to stay confident, but there was a feeling among the players that Coach Fracassa had gotten us in over our heads. It was one thing to play Catholic Central, but to play the top team in Ohio scared us. This was the first time that Brother Rice had ever played a game outside of Michigan.

When we entered the Barberton stadium, we knew that we had landed on a different football planet. There were 15,000 fans–all wearing purple. It was a night game and, when they introduced the Barberton team, the stadium lights went off. All around the top of the stadium, purple strobe lights lit up the sky like a massive UFO.

We played them tough in the first half, and we even managed to hold a 7-6 lead at halftime. It seemed to be luck, but we were happy that we had not been blown out. In the locker room at halftime, you tried to convince us that we could win this game. Even though we had the lead, I could tell that most of us just wanted to keep it close in the second half so we could go home with some pride. If we lost by a touchdown, we could consider it a victory. Half of Barberton’s starters were being recruited by Division One college teams. Aside from Jon English, ’79, who went to Appalachian State, and Marty Martinez, ’79, who went to Stanford, the top college teams didn’t show much interest in our team.

The second half was a real war. We held onto the lead, then scored in the fourth quarter to stretch our lead to 13-6. The game came down to a final Barberton drive. The last two minutes of the game was like being in the middle of a combat zone. When Barberton called a timeout in the final minute, Coach (Ron) Kalczynski went out to get the defense fired up for the last three plays of the game. A few days after the game, I heard him tell a story of this timeout. He said he went out there to spit fire at the defense, but when he looked up at “his guys” he saw 11 kids who were too small, too tired and too beaten-up to be on the field with this purple team. He said that he was so proud that he wanted to cry.

Instead of spitting fire, he just said, “Keep it up guys, it’s almost over.” He then ran back to the sideline and prayed.

Our defense held and we won. The shock was too great for me to describe. Even the guys who had fought all game on the field couldn’t believe that we had beaten them.

The locker room was pure chaos. Everyone was crying, hugging and screaming. Finally, you came into the locker room and got us all to shut up so you could speak. We were all silent, but we could hear the Brother Rice parents outside the door shouting like kids. What could you say to us at a time like this? We expected a post-game prayer, or a warning to start thinking about our game next week. You looked around the room and then, finally, you smiled at us and said, “You guys are going to remember this moment for the rest of your lives.” That was the end ouf your speech, and it was the shortest and most beautiful speech I have ever heard you give.

Barberton went 9-1 that season and, aside from their 13-6 loss to Brother Rice, they outscored their opponents 263-31.

I didn’t get on the field for one play, but the Barberton game is the one that will always stick with me. After sitting on the bench my junior year, I made first team all-Oakland County my senior year, and I played one year of college football. But every football season, for the past 30 years, the only game I remember with pride is the game against Barberton. What was so great about standing on the sideline for a game? This is something that very few people can understand, but this is what it means to play football at Brother Rice for Al Fracassa. I was blessed to be part of “something bigger” that you created for all of us. Now that I am an old guy, I can say that your current players cannot understand what all of this means–but someday they will. And it will stick with them for the rest of their lives.

Dr. Emil Nagengast, ’80

Juniata College, Huntington, PA

P.S. I have sent you my BR varsity jacket. I want you to show your players how small it is–and I wore this when I was a starting lineman (and all-county lineman) at BR. My wife is mad that I kept it hanging around the house. I now weigh 230 pounds, so I can’t fit into it. I hope that you can give it to someone who can wear it.

Note: The jacket is given each year to the player who is named, “Mr. Team Player.” Last year it was worn by Drew Bonkowski, Sr. WR. Next year, it will be worn by Senior, QB/WR, Kyle Galli.

This entry is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

I will dig up the view from the Barberton side as well....

Last edited by frankie; 03-22-12 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-24-12, 10:32 AM
All American

The Brother Rice game was another great game as they (BR) came into the came ranked #4 in the country. Coach Faracasa and the entire team were an ultimate challange. They had an Todd ? English at Qb, his dad was a Lions asst. coach & he went on to a great career at someplace out west like Tulane???. Playing DB was a young man who ended up playing WR for the browns (Bryan Brenin) ? The game was nip and tuck throughout the night. Our DL complained that they tackled us in their blocking. On the offense Larry Ricks pounded the ball and Finley kept taking the 5 yard outs and Dave Peters caught many. Late in the game Peters was isolated left vs the coverage ran the out and the BR defender jumped it and Dave turned back inside and up the field all alone...... and dropped the perfect pass from Jeff Finley. Maybe our best receiver all time who made numerous circus catches could not handle it as he looked downfield at the end zone, a sure 6 points. That team of Magics continued unbeaten in Ohio finished ranked maybe second in the state but also second in our region behind Zanesville but had higher computer points than most of the team in the playoffs. Only the top team in each region qualified then. We beat 9-1 Wadsworth, a tough state ranked Grove City, The Bulldogs of McKinley (first or second time ever) and killed an excellent Walsh Jesuit team by 34-0...or was it 34-3??? a rugged St V/M and ended with a big win vs an excellent Falls team and the"BELL". At the end of the season this Magic team was reputed to be the best in Ohio. Ricks became a favorite of the BR fans when he entered U of Michigan.
1978:
Cleveland John Hay 62-6
Wadsworth 22-0
Birmingham, Michigan Brother Rice 6-13
Grove City 28-12
Canton McKinley 21-6
Cincinnati Woodward 28-0 (Won Cinn. City series)
Walsh Jesuit 34-0
Toledo Scott 33-0
STVSTM 15-0
Cuyahoga Falls 20-7
**I have been told that under the format in use today (8 teams/ region) that the Magics woud have qualified at least six times. The playoffs were in their infancy at the time. Thank goodness for progress. We played a top state wide schedule with Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnatti, Canton and Toledo teams in addition to our local rivals. Anyone remember what our state poll position ended up?? maybe #2???? Frecriss???

Last edited by frankie; 03-24-12 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-24-12, 07:17 PM
All Yappi

Barberton finished the 1978 season ranked #9 in the state and finished first in the Beacon Journal poll. In my opinion, by the end of the season, we were the best team in the state. Remember, going into the 1978 season, we had to replace starters who went on to play at Michigan, Maryland, Purdue, Youngstown State, Murray State, Marshall, Mount Union and Akron. To lose that level of talent and then come back the next season to perform at that level shows how high the program was at that time.

To show how far ahead of the rest of the area we were, Wadsworth finished 2nd in the Beacon poll and we dominated them head to head. McKinley and Falls also finished in the Beacons big school top ten.
Old 04-03-12, 08:35 AM
All American

NFSQ: Nick Peyakov (his father is a former Magic player.. ) Good luck in your senior year at Manchester...

By Bill Greene
Ohio recruiting analyst
Posted Mar 21, 2012

| More

The 2013 quarterback class in Ohio could be the most talented group of signal-callers in recent history in the state. Several prospects hold multiple offers, but Manchester's Nick Peyakov might be the one nobody knows about.
Old 04-14-12, 09:07 AM
All American

Anybody know the story about the basketball game vs and at St V when the Magics refused to play "supposedly " because SID was working the game as an official? I only get bits and pieces... Anyone?

I hear of a lot of stories but do not know details... help if you can!
Old 04-14-12, 06:32 PM
All Yappi

From the Barberton Historical Society:

“Behold a pale horse and upon him sits Death” – Book of Revelations

When Barberton was founded, not one person from Summit County bought a lot in the initial land sale. Instead, men from Pennsylvania and Stark County (primarily Massillon) were the big buyers. From Massillon, Ohio three of the biggest names were Albrecht, (groceries) Finefrock (doctor) and Stuhldreher (insurance).

August (Augie) Stuhldreher built the elaborate and modern Stuhldreher building and Opera House at Second Street and Tuscarawas in 1902. This was a fine building with retail space and the Post Office on the first floor. It had offices for the Stuhldreher insurance company on the second floor and an opera house on the third floor. The Opera House was in competition with Tracy Hall in the Tracy Building and so was soon for boxing matches.

August Stuhldreher of Barberton fame had a nephew from Massillon who came to Barberton to work as a clerk in his uncle’s insurance business. The young clerk, born in 1901 was named Harry Stuhldreher.

Harry Stuhldreher was a 5-7, 151 pound quarterback who played for Massillon and went on to play quarterback at Notre Dame University under legendary coach Knute Rockne. Rockne had also played early professional football at Massillon. Harry Stuhldreher was not only a great quarterback but he also a punt returner and was considered to be a great blocker. Playing quarterback Harry went on, as a sophomore to become one of the legendary Four Horseman of Notre Dame. Named after the four horseman of the Book of Revelations (War, Famine, Pestilence and Death). Stuhldreher had a stellar career at Notre Dame and went on to play professional football before going back to coach college football and later become the A.D. at the University of Wisconsin. Harry was elected to the Pro-Football HOF in 1958.

Behold a pale horse and upon him sits death. Upon him sits Harry Stuhldreher, early Barberton resident.
Old 04-15-12, 06:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
Anybody know the story about the basketball game vs and at St V when the Magics refused to play "supposedly " because SID was working the game as an official? I only get bits and pieces... Anyone?

I hear of a lot of stories but do not know details... help if you can!
I have only heard that Greynolds was not happy with the officials that were working the game and he refused to play because of it.
Old 04-16-12, 02:09 PM
All World

BuckNut2006 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
In 1970 both the Magics and the Irish were having off years. The Magics were winless and the Irish had won just once but they would battle through a classic struggle. Those who know Green Street will remember that the "cleaners" stood directly behind the scorboard area about 50 yards back and filled with game parking. With the Magics leading 7 (Al Morakovitz punt return TD) to 6 the Irish were driving toward that end zone and running the option play. There was a bad pitch mishandled by the tailback and recovered by Barberton to end the drive and preserve the win. Here is where the story differs depending on which side you favored. The Irish claim that the explosion and huge resulting fire came and caused the errant pitch while Magic fans say the fumble came first. The flames (captured on the game films) shot high into the sky as the cleaning fluid enabled the burn. People were running to find their kids, or to get their cars out of the parking lot. The final 2 minutes of the game were completed on the other end of the field. Even with down years the two teams had a great competition.
HEY Frankie! Everyone who was there KNOWS the explosion caused that fumble!!

Just happy the two schools have gotten together to get this game scheduled. Time to schedule a boys basketball game. Looking fwd to coming to Sharkey Stadium! It;s been way too long!
Old 04-18-12, 10:12 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNut2006 View Post
HEY Frankie! Everyone who was there KNOWS the explosion caused that fumble!!

Just happy the two schools have gotten together to get this game scheduled. Time to schedule a boys basketball game. Looking fwd to coming to Sharkey Stadium! It;s been way too long!
And you were wearing the "green" shaded glasses too. and it goes on!!!
See you this fall!
Old 06-06-12, 08:12 PM
All American

Ran into a guy who reminded me of the great game at St. Ed when Jim Board made 22 tackles and held the great St Ed team in a 15-13 loss on a last minute field goal. They had a bull of a fullback(Portelli) who Board leveled all night. Any body have more.. St Ed had beaten Warren Western Reserve something like 63 20 the previous week and were playoff bound. One of the great games in our past history. Where might I find a write up. on the game?

Last edited by frankie; 06-10-12 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 10:10 AM
All Ohio

Baller
I have a story to share-THE INDESPENSIBLE ELF who beat up FREE CRISIS at Halftime of STV FOOSBALL GAME.
It was a grand knight when I saw in front of my the funniest thing ever when a ELF wearing Green leotards was wrestling and slapping Freecrisis silly.
By the way Shark was laughing also!
Old 01-16-13, 08:09 AM
Varsity

STARRINN is on a distinguished road
Laughing Green Elf And The Shark

HEARD THERE MAY BE A SUMMER SLAM AT THE SHARK TANK. NOT CONFIRMED BUT IN THE WORKS

KENMORE KONEY DOG MASCOT VS EAST DRAGON MASCOT

CULBERTSON VS TBA FEMALE WRESTLER

FREE VS ELF IN PURPLE JELLO PIT 50 YD LANE

STARR BARR RINGSIDE GIRLS (THEY HAVE AT LEAST 7 TEETH ALL IN THE FRONT)

MUSIC PROVIDED BY EX BARBERTON BASEBALL COACH

COST 5.00
CONCESSIONS AVAIBLE

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: