Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Notices

Old 03-03-10, 09:20 AM
All American

elderfan2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderalways View Post
Not the case, the current freshman class has most of their starting O-Line that had to either diet excessively or did NOT play in the WFC. It is time that we evolve to what many, many cities do, either an X-out rule, limit weight for carrying the ball or, as they do in Texas, Florida and other states, have a weight minimum for Varsity. Way over-do, it absolutely hurts Elder, the big guys come in with less football awareness and if they can't get to another team, don't get to play in grade school but are the guys that CAN play in High School. This is a fact, the current system protects kids who have NO SHOT at high school. I am not talking about the kids at or close to the limit but the kids that are 90-100lbs as 7th and 8th graders should not be protected at the expense of kids who can actually play at the next level. Nuts!
I believe the majority of the Elder varsity O-line this year played in the WFC in the varsity level. My opinion is 170 limit is fine. If you are 170 as an eighth grader and add 10% weight a year, you are 248 pounds by senior year.

CYO also has a weight limit, if this were a disadvantage to Elder, it would also be a disadvantage to Moeller, LaSalle, etc.

Elder has been one of the top football programs the last decade - not a major issue. For the few kids that have a weight issue, there is another program option for them. But it is a few and not the majority.
Old 03-03-10, 06:50 PM
All Ohio

sunshine is on a distinguished road
gaining 10% of your body weight each year is not necessarily a good thing.

and I agree with elderalways, if the objective of a weight limit is to prevent injuries, then there should also be a weight minimum.
Old 03-05-10, 01:32 PM
Varsity

Budda
I heard today that GCYL has the majority of the CYO teams committed to the new league if not all of them.
Old 03-07-10, 09:01 PM
All Region

CincyHSfootball is on a distinguished road
Per the GCYL web site here are the schools that have committed to the new league. Also they have updated the FAQ section to address many of the questions people have ie. will games be played on Sat or Sun? www.gcyl.org

Committed GCYL Voting Members

VOTING MEMBERS

CPS / ST. Marys/Saint Ursula Villa

St. Michaels / Gabriel / Mother Teresa

St. Nicholas

St. Ignatius

St. James

Visitation

St. Williams

Veronica / Thomas More

SMOY

St. Columban

All Saints

Susanna

Victory

St. Martins

Guardian Angels

Summit Country Day

St. Dominic

St. Teresa

Lourdes

St. John Harrison

OLG

John Paul II

IHM

St. Johns DR

St. Gertrude

St. Jude

St. Ann Eliz. Seton

St. Antoninus
Old 03-08-10, 08:51 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderfan2005 View Post
If the new GCYL league is formed, whether they play a) all games on Saturday b) all games on Sunday or c) a combination of Sat. and Sun. games is one major area that will need to be worked out.

I have only spoken to St. James and St. Ignatius parents. Those two schools were used to playing on Saturdays when they were in the WFC. They then moved to Sundays when they moved to CYO. Most that I have spoken to from these two schools have not liked the Sunday games, but they liked the fact that they had an opportunity to field a team at each grade level if they chose to in the CYO league with the theory that the competition would be against more equal talent for the odd grade year teams (one of the main reasons these two schools left the WFC).

It may well be that the majority of other CYO schools still prefer to play on Sunday - I am just not sure as I have not talked to anyone from CYO other than St. James and St. I's parents.
Thanks. I like the idea of the home team deciding the date and time of the game. WFC parents may not like playing on Sundays, but I can't believe it will be a big enough issue to derail the league.
Old 03-08-10, 08:53 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSfootball View Post
Per the GCYL web site here are the schools that have committed to the new league. Also they have updated the FAQ section to address many of the questions people have ie. will games be played on Sat or Sun? www.gcyl.org

VOTING MEMBERS

St. Nicholas

St. Ignatius

St. James

Visitation

St. Williams

Veronica / Thomas More

SMOY

St. Columban

All Saints

Susanna

Victory

St. Martins

Guardian Angels

Summit Country Day

St. Dominic

St. Teresa

Lourdes

St. John Harrison

OLG

John Paul II

IHM

St. Johns DR

St. Gertrude

St. Jude

St. Ann Eliz. Seton

St. Antoninus
That's great. Didn't they have a mock-up of what the conference/divisions may look like? I can't find it on the website.
Old 03-08-10, 09:04 AM
All American

Visitation_Football
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderfan2005 View Post
I believe the majority of the Elder varsity O-line this year played in the WFC in the varsity level. My opinion is 170 limit is fine. If you are 170 as an eighth grader and add 10% weight a year, you are 248 pounds by senior year.

CYO also has a weight limit, if this were a disadvantage to Elder, it would also be a disadvantage to Moeller, LaSalle, etc.

Elder has been one of the top football programs the last decade - not a major issue. For the few kids that have a weight issue, there is another program option for them. But it is a few and not the majority.
I think you're right. The only two starters on the OL this year that didn't play on the WFC varsity level were Vasilivic and Nusekabel and both of them played for the Tower Titans. I wouldn't mind seeing Elder start up a team like that for the overweight kids and local CPS kids.
Old 03-14-10, 09:01 PM
All American

elderfan2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSfootball View Post

VOTING MEMBERS

St. Nicholas

St. Ignatius

St. James

Visitation

St. Williams

Veronica / Thomas More

SMOY

St. Columban

All Saints

Susanna

Victory

St. Martins

Guardian Angels

Summit Country Day

St. Dominic

St. Teresa

Lourdes

St. John Harrison

OLG

John Paul II

IHM

St. Johns DR

St. Gertrude

St. Jude

St. Ann Eliz. Seton

St. Antoninus
Were there any schools currently in the CYO or WFC that elected not to join?
Old 04-20-10, 09:47 AM
Freshman

momof4sons is on a distinguished road
anyone have any updates? more specifically the weight limit for 8th grade? The website doesn't reflect anything new.
Old 04-20-10, 10:05 AM
Varsity

WFC Guru is on a distinguished road
Last I heard they are ironing out some final details. Believe the weight limits will be staying the same with the exception of Pony level may increase a little. Divisions and league format will be announced soon. Most of the rules from WFC will be adopted!
Old 04-20-10, 10:22 AM
Freshman

Thanks WFC Guru. Nuts though.

We were holding out hope that the eighth grade weight limit would increase. Tower Titans are a great alternative but my son was hoping to finish up with his school and with the kids he's played with since 1st grade... have you heard the reasoning so I can understand and well then explain it to my oldest boy... he's 6' 170 size 14 shoe and going through a growth spurt.. great for freshman year not great for 8th grade..
Old 04-20-10, 10:35 AM
All Region

jjk10 is on a distinguished road
I hope your son is going to Elder !
Old 04-20-10, 10:49 AM
Freshman

thanks jjk.. loves LaSalle and Elder (thanks to the Late Father Bertke who we miss so very much) -no decision yet though.. Father Bertke and many many other Elder grads old and new graduate with a connection to the school. A connection that cannot be described and is unique to Elder Grads... Father Bertke's face would light up when he talked about Elder...something special happened to and for him at your school.. sorry woman posting = rambling forgive me?
Old 04-20-10, 12:15 PM
Norman Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4sons View Post
have you heard the reasoning so I can understand and well then explain it to my oldest boy... he's 6' 170 size 14 shoe and going through a growth spurt..
My guess is safety. You may not be concerned about the 100 lb. defensive backs (or other positions), but if you don't have them you don't have enough to play. I guarantee you the defensive coaches are concerned though.
Old 04-21-10, 07:38 AM
All American

elderfan2005
Quote:
Thanks WFC Guru. Nuts though.

We were holding out hope that the eighth grade weight limit would increase. Tower Titans are a great alternative but my son was hoping to finish up with his school and with the kids he's played with since 1st grade... have you heard the reasoning so I can understand and well then explain it to my oldest boy... he's 6' 170 size 14 shoe and going through a growth spurt.. great for freshman year not great for 8th grade..
What position(s) does he play?
Old 04-21-10, 08:52 AM
Freshman

DE/OL and Full Back/ H Back

I can understand the safety concern.. thanks for the reply
Old 04-21-10, 01:57 PM
All American

elderfan2005
Quote:
DE/OL and Full Back/ H Back

I can understand the safety concern.. thanks for the reply
The reason I asked what position is there have been some discussions in some leagues about allowing higher weights for the OL and DL positions only. The theory is less safety concerns from a weight standpoint when playing the line positions than the skill positions.
Old 04-21-10, 10:08 PM
All Ohio

elderalways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Dale View Post
My guess is safety. You may not be concerned about the 100 lb. defensive backs (or other positions), but if you don't have them you don't have enough to play. I guarantee you the defensive coaches are concerned though.
If it were safety they'd have a weight minimum like Texas does, they need to make an X out rule for big guys so they can at least play the line like Kentucky has as well as lift the weight limit for Varsity and perhaps put in a minimum weight. Speed causes more injury in grade school than size, do we have a speed limit? No...
Old 04-21-10, 10:38 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
As a coach in the league I would love to see the weight limit increase closer to 180-185, however a higher weight than that for a 7th or 8th grader is usually unhealthy or the kid has just matured way earlier than everyone else. As far as the weight minimum, I also agree with this but where would you make the minimum cutoff? If the cutoff was anywhere near 120-125 some of the league's better skill players may get left off. My brother played QB in the 8th grade at 115. Ultimately there will be no weight minimum and I doubt we see them do away with a weight maximum either.
Old 04-22-10, 10:45 AM
All American

elderfan2005
Although I see some people's point, I don't see the league adopting a minimum weight level.
Old 04-22-10, 12:13 PM
Norman Dale

Quote:
If it were safety they'd have a weight minimum like Texas does, they need to make an X out rule for big guys so they can at least play the line like Kentucky has as well as lift the weight limit for Varsity and perhaps put in a minimum weight. Speed causes more injury in grade school than size, do we have a speed limit? No...
Weight minimum is not the answer. Where would you put it? I think you'd lose too many kids. Speed causes more injury in grade school BECAUSE there is a weight limit.
Old 04-22-10, 09:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Weight minimum is not the answer. Where would you put it? I think you'd lose too many kids. Speed causes more injury in grade school BECAUSE there is a weight limit.
not at all true, look at the many, many cities and states with no weight limit, cause of injury is still speed by a very wide margin, check your facts before you post.
Old 04-22-10, 10:17 PM
Norman Dale

Quote:
not at all true, look at the many, many cities and states with no weight limit, cause of injury is still speed by a very wide margin, check your facts before you post.
OK. Then post "the facts".
Old 04-22-10, 10:19 PM
All Ohio

I heard one WFC school is still holding out because they want to drop down a level.
Old 04-23-10, 12:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
I heard one WFC school is still holding out because they want to drop down a level.
It looks as if all the members from the league last year, (9 teams) are all in. If you look at the site under GCYL Members it has all the WFC teams in from last year. Since you have such information, elaborate more on the situation.
Old 04-23-10, 09:47 PM
All Ohio

the website is not updated. and how much more do you want me to elaborate. one school is holding out. how much clearer can I say that?
Old 04-24-10, 12:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
the website is not updated. and how much more do you want me to elaborate. one school is holding out. how much clearer can I say that?
Gee I don't know, maybe which school is holding out, and the reasons on why? I did say elaborate not give a broad overview.
Old 04-25-10, 11:18 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
OK. Then post "the facts".

ROCHESTER, MINN. -- A Mayo Clinic study of youth football showed that most injuries that occurred were mild, older players appeared to be at a higher risk and that no significant correlation exists between body weight and injury.

Check the Mayo Clinic study and most Sports Medicine journals for the facts, don't trust this old panther. Speed = concussions is the biggest issue in gradeschool and that is rare until 7th-8th grade when speed and aggression pick up. Most boys in the collision are well under the weight limit, this is data from states with NO upper weight limit and actually some of the data if from Texas where you have a 90lb. minimum to play at the 7th-8th grade level. Coaches there site that boys under that weight usually leave for other sports anyway and have virtually no shot at playing in high school.

It won't change here, too many politics but to stand on "safety" with no weight minimum is a farce, that is my point.
Old 04-25-10, 11:30 AM
All Ohio

Also worth the read is the statement from Pediatricians and the experts on kids losing weight excessively to play under the weight limit, it effects physical and mental wellness and should be avoided. Obviously not meant for kids with true weight to lose but many are starving themselves to make these limits that do not prevent injury and have been shown to hurt their growth and mental development.
Old 05-12-10, 01:47 PM
All American

Visitation_Football
There seems to be a heck of a lot of kids now at St. Ignatius that are deciding to attend Elder. Excellent news.