View Single Post
Old 02-27-17, 12:24 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Hoping #23 can make it back this year,it would make a HUGE difference.

If Brantley can't go, don't be surprised if Yandy Diaz wins the job and makes it his own. This kid has hit a ton at every minor league level. Well over .300 with a line drive stroke that is starting to generate power. Doesn't strike out much. The only reason he isn't rated as a blue-chip prospect is because he wasn't widely known when the Tribe signed him out of Cuba. He hadn't made a huge impression in international competition, as Yoenis Cespedes or Yoan Moncada had.

Diaz started out as an infielder, and made the move to the outfield last year. He was a so-so third baseman with a strong arm. The Tribe brass moved him in hopes that he could make the majors as a utility man, if and when Brantley returns. With Jose Ramirez establishing himself at third base, Diaz won't play much there. Diaz is OK in the outfield, not great, but his bat is his calling card. He's a righhanded hitter, BTW. Diaz is 25 years old.

I'm starting to worry about Brantley. I hope he makes it back. But the fact that the organization is still taking baby steps with his shoulder and arm a year-plus later, I'm starting to have my doubts. Man, I hope I'm wrong.

For what it's worth: Diaz went 1-for-2 in Saturday's win over the Reds. The hit was a double.

Last edited by Metacomet; 02-27-17 at 12:35 PM..