Thread: Ask the Ref?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-14, 10:16 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WX Dude View Post
Situation:
Players come out of their benches between overtime period 1 and overtime period 2 and line up improperly for a tip-off on their own (Players are facing the wrong basket at the beginning of the second overtime period.) Referee comes in and starts the period without correcting the error. Tip-off goes off normally, player sinks basket in wrong basket. The scoreboard operator immediately informs the refs of the problem.

What is the rule? What should have been the call?

What actually happened
1:09:20 into the video.

The ref counted the basket, you can hear him say he is not taking away points, and did a mid-court throw-in for the other team to continue the period.
I'm interested in this too because I've seen it happen and the refs ruled the basket good for the defensive team. I was very surprised that an officials mistake was not corrected and held against the scoring team.

Just want to be clear, the way you described it, the score was counted for the scoring team, correct? That seems more reasonable than the game that I saw.

**Edit**
Just watched the video. I like how the refs did this. Just wondering if that was the correct way to do it. I also like the call at the end of the 1st OT. Way too many times, a foul is overlooked on the final shot from half-court. Great job by the kid to hit all 3 free-throws.