View Single Post
Old 12-23-16, 11:47 AM
All Region

RAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Have 2 kids playing sports in college- I totally agree with the first part, but the mutisport part is tricky from out experience. College coaches say they want kids who play more than one sport, but the reality is if a kid is playing at a high level at more than one sport they aren't going to as many recruiting events.. Have a son who played 2 sports in high school and the summer basketball schedule for his high school team almost kept him from getting to the next level with his other sport. It wasn't until he dropped basketball (his passion since he was 5!) after his Junior year that he started being able to compete in events for his other sport that put him on the coaches radars. Luckily, he shined that last summer and is playing D1 at a great school that was a top choice of his, but he missed out on a lot of opportunities during the early recruiting his freshman, sophomore and into his junior year because of playing more than one sport. He watched kids that he routinely beat in high school get offers because they were able to devote themselves to the one sport and get coaches attention more easily by building a resume year round in the one sport.
Although I agree with your post in your situation. You and your kids are the exception if they are playing D1. Majority of the kids and there families pay out large sums of money over the years chasing that dream to play in college. Very few athlete achieve D1 scholarship status. The crazy thing is there are some athletes that do continue to play in college at D3 $40,000 a year tuition with no possible athletic scholarship available. My sarcastic opinion is that D3 colleges are the push behind all of the various organizations such at AAU, JO, summer baseball, etc. Look at all the athletic programs that the D3 schools have and there roster sizes. Any ways I could go on and on but bottom line too many seem to want to specialize to achieve that dream when in reality too many rack up a massive student loan debt in the end to play after high school.

Even on yappi i have seen numerous posts over the years about how freshman sports are irrelevant and poor quality. By the way I strongly disagree.