View Single Post
Old 12-16-16, 08:38 AM
HeartoftheMatter is on a distinguished road
I think it's a variety of things. Obviously, the growing popularity of JO volleyball and year round soccer is definitely an issue, but I think its more than that.

We hear all this talk about the change in society and how we have become soft. I feel like that sums up some of the problem as well. Not to take anything away from JO volleyball or club soccer or even travel softball, but the reality is, those things are more fun than work. Don't get me wrong, I understand what JO means for scholarships and national exposure, and I understand they work for what they get. However, they still only practice 2 or 3 times a week and when they play on the weekend they get to travel all over and play 5, 6 or even 7 games in the weekend. Same for travel softball. You get to practice a couple times a week and play 60-70 games over the summer while traveling all over the state or country. That's fun for high school kids. I don't blame them for wanting to have fun.

So how does it all come back to high school participation. It's simple. High School sports is hard work. It takes time, effort and a determination to excel at the high school level. Let's take basketball for example, some kids simply decide, why would I spend my entire winter not seeing the light of day, having to practice for 2 hours a night, 60-75 practices a year to play 22 games in 5 months? They say if I really just love playing, I'll just have my parents pay $500 for "AAU" and I can go play for a team I know I get minutes on the floor and only have to practice once or twice a week (not even really go hard) and get to play 25-30 games in 2 months.

I am not saying this is ok, actually, it kills me that this is what it comes to. My greatest memories in high school were playing on my high school basketball team. And truly, I wasn't even that good of a player and my minutes were very limited, but I wouldn't trade that experience for the world.

The bottom line is playing a high school sport is hard. You have to want it, and we live in a world now where the kids that do are in the minority.