View Single Post
Old 12-16-16, 12:58 AM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
I'm told that those 3 Federal League schools (McKinley, Hoover, and Jackson, if I heard correctly) are the only ones in all of Stark County that have girls freshman teams. It's been about 8 years since my school last fielded a girls freshman team. They currently have only 15 girls in the entire program, so it's a tight squeeze to even field a JV team; especially if they encounter any injuries. At least 2 teams on the schedule aren't fielding JV teams, and there could be more.

I've seen a few schools that look like they have enough players for a freshman team, but the issue might be that not enough nearby schools have frosh teams, so it's not worth fielding a team and incurring the associated expenses (coaching stipend, transportation, and game workers) if they can't get games.

I'm sure the issue of dwindling of participation in girls hoops has been discussed here before, but I rarely view this forum. What are the most common reasons cited for the decreased participation? Two that jump into my mind are the increasing participation in all things volleyball, and a misguided thought by some kids that they shouldn't go out for the school team if they don't play AAU. Anything else?

Both of the reasons you cite are valid in my mind - more the Volleyball than the AAU. JO tryouts for high school girls are the Sunday after the state championship, so for those few playing in the finals they get literally zero off days between school and JO. For girls whose teams lose in early playoff rounds, they go to open gyms for JO tryouts as soon as their HS team loses.

Also, I believe that the year-round stress put on kids by high school and club coaches - practice, open gyms, lifting, summer league etc - along with the expansion of lacrosse in many places either puts time restrictions or burns out the players who need some sort of down time throughout the year. 95%+ of kids don't play an organized sport after their senior year of high school.

And basketball is simply a rougher, more full-contact sport than volleyball. Those who don't like the contact opt for volleyball over basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk