View Single Post
Old 07-13-17, 04:03 PM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I don't think the accounting, or savings is going to be as straightforward as some might presume? Joining Clergy is not the vow of poverty some think. Teaching Priest (note: "Priest") can make some good cash on top of no soc sec payments, medical, even housing and food may be in the mix. Even third world, I've seen some living pretty high on the hog.

As the private schools do not generally address the high costs of Special Ed in anyway near the levels mandated by a public system, I doubt there would be a hugh savings if they could somehow magically find (cough had succeeded in their mission cough) enough clergy to fill the teaching and administrative positions.

People don't want to consider the possibility that these schools have failed. For at least five decades the private Catholic (run) schools have actively poached and cherry picked from the primary public system in order to feed the diminishing populations of their over-built secondaries. For at least three decades they have been closing elementaries to the deference of the higher profile secondaries.

Speculation but I think it's a fair question to ask the alums of these inner city private schools that for so long have poached, why they did not become vested in the mission? Maybe the simple asking of the question will get a few of those alums to rethink and remember their values. What is more important, a fifth McMansion and gold lame baby seats for their own kids or the religious and public OR private academic education of a 7 year old living without Winter heat in the old neighborhood?

Instead of increased efforts towards proselytization and sharing the word, private schools attempted to complete rosters by poaching and cherry picking from the public systems and raise revenue by politicing public money. They seriously and selfishly harmed the synergy in their feeder schools and in the public systems, particularly in the inner cities with their high rate of special ed, counseling and vocational training needs (all the higher cost aspects of education not addressed by secondary "Catholic" schools).

To pick a decade, I'd say 50s-60s would be about the time the private Catholics began to over build and move out of the Central ethnic cities and abandoned their mandates. It's killing both systems, when by now, the private Catholic, if they had indeed succeeded in their mission, would be fully endowed, nearly free schools serving the neighborhoods that gave them birth. So it's still on my mind, where's the money going? Is the revenue generated by the high schools being used for other means and when a school hits a diminishing return, is it abandoned for higher returns? The economics of these schools, do not make sense. Hell, one good basketball player, let alone a few CEOs could boost a school into economic security. Why do the alums not value the education supplied by their alma maters or is it the changed diversity of the neighborhoods in which the schools lie?

These schools have failed to generate a self sustainable clergy. They have sacrificed mission at the developmental ages for the more high profile secondary. They have failed to keep their alums, Catholic or not, vested in the supposed mission. They have failed to generate endowment.

They have failed.
Wow.....where do I begin.

To begin with you are assessing Catholic schools through the very narrow prism of athletics. Contrary to what you may believe Catholic schools were not opened with the primary purpose of fielding athletic teams.

Catholic grade schools outnumbered Catholic high schools because they have been parish based schools. Looking at Cincinnati the majority of Catholic parishes at some point started a primary school. These grade schools then fed into either a smaller number of Catholic high schools, either diocesan or private. In the past 25 years their have been declining number of students attending Catholic schools, hence the need to consolidate (or simply close) some of the Catholic grade schools. That trend has also impacted the Catholic high schools, although it is not as pronounced simply because there are significantly fewer Catholic high schools compared to grade schools.

You imply that the decline in the number of religious (priests and nuns) is because the Catholic schools stopped "proselytizing" because they were so focused on "poaching" kids from public schools. If that ridiculous statement were true, there would not be declining enrollments in Catholic schools.

It is true there are significantly less religious but I believe that is due in large part to the declining Catholic population, coupled with the fact that parents of today are not as anxious to see their kids enter the religious life compare to parents 30 or so years ago.

I am certainly not defending all Catholics, or even every Catholic school that might overemphasize sports, but your rant shows your hatred for Catholic schools and apparently the affluent as well.