View Single Post
Old 07-10-17, 11:15 AM
All World

St.X fan2
1) Priests from religious orders do not get to keep any of the money for teaching as that money goes to their religious order. That is why tuition was much more cheaper decades ago when there were more religious sisters and priests from religious orders teaching as their salaries were lower than the laity. The numbers have gone down for religious vocations and mostly the laity are teaching and they demand a higher salary as many of them have families.

2) Yes, this particular school failed but there is still a need for Catholic education in order to teach Catholic kids about the faith and allow them to pray and attend Mass so they can grow in faith. There are Catholic schools that are doing well and others are struggling due to financial problems. Some parents can't afford Catholic schools since the tuition is high due to not as many priests and religious sisters teaching anymore.

The Catholic Church saves the government billions of dollars according to the figures that I have heard by operating schools all across the country. If every Catholic school closed think of all the kids from Catholic schools that would then be going to public schools. The number of new students attending the publics if this happened would be gigantic and many more schools would need to be built across the country, many more teachers hired, and many books would need to be ordered. These costs would be extraordinary also taking into account with more buildings that would mean more money to maintain all of these additional buildings. The parish I am at has 580 kids in K-8 and it is doing well. However, I realize that some schools are struggling and having difficulties making ends meet for a lot of reasons. There are good public schools which some Catholic parents send their kids to in order to save money or because they can't afford the local Catholic school. Also, our secular society does not encourage religion and is even hostile towards it in some regards. Some Christians have lost their faith and no longer come to church or send their kids to Catholic schools because they have fallen into the ways of our secular society that views religion as unnecessary or superstitious. The Catholic Church needs to do better at evangelization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
1) How does that pertain to the economics? I think that was the question being addressed, hypothetically if all lay positions were replaced by Priests in teaching and Administrative positions. I think there's a perception that Priests in American Catholic run schools work for meals and housing, lol. They don't.

2) I stated several times that I was speaking generally.

3) Yes. They are failing. That again, was my point. No debatable point there unless you are defining "success" as not bringing people to God, not bringing customers to the school, not raising funds required to operate, not being there to educate....

I'm presuming you believe there is a need for Catholic based education? If so, how can a case be made that if a Catholic run school closes and is no longer availabe to serve, that it didn't "fail?"