View Single Post
Old 03-20-17, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
A better link to the column: http://www.thepostnewspapers.com/nor...de7305bb1.html

“Spoiled rich kids” lobbed at the VASJ students? Did I miss something, when did VASJ become Gilmour or US?

This should be required reading for those that want to better understand the bitterness that lead Wayne County to be ground zero in the anti-catholic er competitive balance debate. This column should have been under the Op-Ed bi-line too as it was filled with mostly snide opinion rather than a true fact based report of the game. Quotes like, "One group is from a Christian school. The other is from a school full of Christians." are classic Wayne County bitterness when they lose to any school that doesn't look like them. Wayne County should just be shunned and let them create their own sports organization; leave the rest of the state alone.
Wow...pretty ugly stuff.

I didn't attend the game, but the fan "back and forth" sounds like typical high school. Very interesting that the author gives a nod of approval to the bigoted "Catholic" comment while feeling outraged by the farmer put-down. So, while I'm sure the kids for Northwestern are good kids/fine, can't we agree that stepping into the religious realm isn't very nice?

One other thought...if you think what you write out here doesn't matter, it seems to me that this author gets "fuel" from one VASJ poster in particular. People speak for themselves, but readers from outside of your community inevitably tie the school to the comments of the school's supporters.

Last thing...my high school's students are heavily Catholic. However, there are several Catholic high schools in Cleveland (probably other big cities as well) who serve the poor, the minority and many of their students aren't Catholic. Condemning, mocking, ridiculing that effort IS bigoted. VASJ isn't a white school with a black basketball team. The school is somewhere close to 60-40 in its black/white racial enrollment.