View Single Post
Old 03-09-18, 11:08 AM
All District

thereckoning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
Can't answer for all the schools, but I would imagine the total number of kids from Coldwater, Versailles, Fort Recovery, Marion Local, St. Henry, New Bremen and Minster who play pee wee football in another town is anywhere from zero to two.

I can't imagine any parents even considering driving to another town to play peewee football.

As for players dropping out, it is mostly a matter of opportunity. Tons of kids go out for 7th grade football. If the program is run properly, all the kids get enough playing time that most of them return for 8th grade and freshman football, with a few dropping out as they realize they do not enjoy the game or that they prefer a job and the money it provides. Also, freshman year provides the chance to go out for golf, which drains a couple of kids.

By sophomore year, there are now more players fighting for limited spots on the JV team and some leave at that point. Junior year is another dropoff, as the varsity teams plays just to win and not to develop players, and opportunity for playing time drops again. Plus, most juniors now have their driver's license and with the greater mobility comes opportunity for other activities (jobs, etc.).

Senior year sees a big dropoff as many players realize they are still not going to get much varsity playing time and are no longer willing to put in the work for limited reward.
So to your point, more kids that play midget in Delphos stick with football and don't take the opportunity to do other activities than those that don't play midget at the other MAC powers? I'm still trying to wrap my head around a 50% drop off compared to a much lesser drop off at a similar MAC school (DSJ) that is by the numbers the second best school to play in the conference.

It makes for a good talking point. All in all, one cannot blame any MAC power for not having midget because its working. However, if you run into someone that has seen first hand the value of midget, I could not imagine how much more powerful these programs could be with it.