View Single Post
Old 06-14-17, 12:39 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
I agree with most of this obviously not your take a new building. New buildings in better locations do, in fact, increase enrollment, fundraising and endowment. The evidence is pretty clear on this, so we will just have to agree to disagree on that point.

Cardinal Wuerl is a perfect example of this. The new school only had 286 students in 2014 and was up to 447 in 2016. The goal is to increase to 1,000. The old school "North Catholic" would have likely closed had it not been moved and a new building been built.

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/1...ocese-catholic

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/6...dinal-students
Good point. However, the new Cardinal Wuerl is 21 miles from its previous location. This was not a new building for an old school as much as it was building a school in an area that was not previously served by Catholic secondary education and closing a school that was failing in its current location. In short, the kids in Cranberry Township were not and were never going to commute to Pittsburgh for what North Catholic had to offer. If they were going to the city, it was for one of the upper crust private schools (Central Catholic, Shadyside, Oakland, etc). In turn, many of the kids being served at North Catholic are not making the trip to Cranberry Township for the new school. Also, that relocation is estimated to cost close to $75M. Again, I do not think that is feasible.

I cannot think of a good hypothetical example around here because of the dropping population and abundance of catholic schools. Maybe, like Hoban moving to the Medina/Cuyahoga County line to serve a populated, wealthier area with no current Catholic school (though I acknowledge most of those kids are served by Akron and Cleveland schools). 21 miles from Aquinas or Central would be the equivalent of moving a school to downtown Akron (which again, I acknowledge is served by schools and is not affluent). Probably the closest hypothetical I can dream up would be Watterson or Hartley or DeSales moving to the Dublin/Powell/Marysville border. Not really serving the old population, just finding a new one.

I guess the main question would be whether or North Canton/Jackson/Lake families would be more likely to go to a new building which would, in the end, look a lot like (but likely lacking many of the bells and whistles already present) in their existing public schools. Throw on top the fact that JT and NC are creeping further north with every new neighborhood and LT is already the northern most school district so Hoban and Jesuit are already a very easy and strong option. In short, if we are going to cater to this demographic, would we be duplicating services due to the proximity of the school to Summit County?

Of course, predicting expansion and demographic shifts is difficult. Developers and politicians get it wrong all of the time. If the Diocese could do it over again, I think they would have went with the runner-up option and located Aquinas along 43, near Applegrove as that was a site that was examined and considered. The decision was to place it closer to Louisville so it would be more proximate to Alliance and not so far removed from the eastern side of Canton. Seems laughable now but it made sense then. If millionaires who make their millions predicting this stuff sometimes get it wrong, I have no hope.