View Single Post
Old 04-06-16, 09:37 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_BBall2012 View Post
I don't know enough about some of those teams to disagree but the Columbus East with Lamar have to be up there with the best teams ever in Ohio right?

I have been following Ohio HS basketball since the early 1960's and I have to agree that the Columbus East Tigers of the late 60's that went 70-1 for their 3 year careers with the only loss coming as sophomores when they lost in the '67 Regionals to eventual state champion Columbus Linden McKinley led by by Jim Cleamons was the best Ohio HS team I've seen and should deserve mention in this topic.

The Columbus East Tigers then went undefeated in their junior and senior years winning state championships both years and when Dwight "Bo" Lamar joined Ed Ratliff and Nick Conner for their senior year that was the best trio of players I have ever seen on the same team !

Name another high school that had two members of the same HS team later become 1st Team D1 All-Americans in college with a third member being a starting center in the Big Ten plus one of the trio also was the leading scorer in the nation at the college level !

Ed Ratliff-Long Beach State and Bo Lamar-Southwestern Louisiana were both consensus first team All-Americans in the 71/72 season and 72/73 seasons and Nick Conner was starting center for Illinois during the same time frame.
Bo Lamar led the nation in scoring in the 71/72 season and finished 6th nationally in scoring in 72/73 season.

A strong case could be made for that Columbus Walnut Ridge team that came onto the scene right after the Columbus East dynasty and as I recall they had all 5 starters off their state championship team receive D1 scholarships to play hoops at the next level. Even that group didn't end up with 2 first team All-Americans at the college level.

Glad to read that someone at least mentioned those Columbus East Tigers on this topic.

JB