Thread: Lee Kemp Award
View Single Post
Old 06-12-18, 08:46 AM
All American

Nick Corey is on a distinguished road
Lee Kemp Award

Anybody hear of this award? I’ll admit, I had not, but I’m glad it’s a thing.
Found out yesterday it’s given out each year in northern Ohio. I’m assuming it’s an OW type award for the region, but couldn’t find a lot of info on it. I also heard it has been awarded for the last 20 years. Didn’t know that, but glad to learn about it, as it’s named after one of our state’s greatest ever. Quite possibly, the greatest wrestler ever from Ohio.
As many know, Kemp started wrestling his freshman year in HS. Won two state titles, junior national titles, & made it to the NCAA finals his freshman year, losing to Iowa legend Chuck Yagla in overtime.
Kemp never lost in college again, winning three national titles for Wisconsin.
Five years after he walked into a wrestling practice for the first time, 18 year-old Kemp beat the 26 year-old NCAA, World & Olympic Champ and legend, Dan Gable, in a tournament at Northwestern University.
Kemp would go on to win three World Championships, but at his athletic peak at the age of 24, Kemp wasn’t allowed to chase his ultimate goal of an Olympic title, as the US boycotted the 1980 Olympics.
Regarding the award itself, any info on it would be appreciated. Again, just glad it’s done, as Kemp (IMO) seems to get lost in the shuffle when discussing our native Ohio greats.
Lastly, congrats to the 2018 recipient, Normandy’s 3X State Champion, Kevon Freeman.

Last edited by Nick Corey; 06-12-18 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links