View Single Post
Old 03-27-17, 11:18 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Could be, but that's a completely different scenario than simply having separate tournaments. I'm not sure what advantage there would be for the private schools to leave OHSAA. Or should I say, I can't think of an advantage that would be significant enough to get the private schools to agree to leave. Most people follow the path of least resistance; which would be to go along with separate tournaments, if that is the direction taken.
Valid points, but if you ask me...

- the success of a few private schools is definitely not representative of the entire private school population in Ohio. There are also plenty, plenty of private schools that do in fact 'play by the rules' (no direct recruiting, esp. not for athletics purposes.) As a consequence of playing by the rules, many of these schools are sacrificing the influx of enrollment that'd likely happen if they could directly recruit students for athletics. For schools like Bishop Ready, Louisville STA etc, they're prioritizing principle over pragmatism. By not recruiting directly (for athletics), they are seeing gradual losses in enrollment from which they might never recover (which leads to closure.) So, if you segregate them into their own one or two division tournament, they're going to have to play the schools that 'may or may not' have the same philosophy of playing by the rules and get bounced by a team that (allegedly) recruits directly or in a one division set up they're going to have to play Moeller or Ed's first or second round. Current rules of no recruiting, but a combined tournament, effectively does nothing for the vast majority of private schools other than them playing schools that have the same enrollment; a system of no recruiting and a segregated tournament effectively kills the small private schools' chances of ever making it past the first or second round.

Let them recruit and play separate, don't let them recruit and play combined, or leave OHSAA and make it open season for recruiting while playing in their own state tournament. Those are the only three endgames that can keep the small privates, the ones people don't complain about, able to be competitive and possibly afloat. 'Play separate and don't let them recruit' is not a solution for all of the private schools unless you make it three or four divisions for the private schools as well. Anyone here think Ashtabula St. John can go far in a hypothetical private, small school division if they have to play NDCL or VASJ in round one? What about in a one-size-fits-all private division; anyone think they can beat Ed's?

As for path of least resistance - true, but as I'm saying above in this post, for some schools the path of least resistance could be the road to closure.

Advantages the privates would have: in theory (because I have neither readily accessible quantitative data nor the time to search and organize such), student athletes that make for good candidates to play college sports at the NCAA D1, D2, and D3 level on both a talent level and academic level. This largely is pinned on my theory that, because of generally stricter and rigid academic requirements (in addition to qualitative aspects, such as the home life and support system of a family that can afford private school tuition a la two parents, one or two incomes) private schools may have a better percentage of students that are academically eligible to play NCAA sports immediately after high school graduation. That doesn't mean all kids from private schools do qualify off the bat, but how many talented kids that have to do JuCo/community college or NAIA because of low grades or ACT can you think of that come from public (because they have to take on everybody) schools; particularly urban ones? Between a state final of, say, Roger Bacon and VASJ versus an average public school (or even two urban schools), who might have more kids that are academically eligible and athletically credentialed to play in the NCAA? Consequently, which of the two state finals may more college coaches and recruiters be interested to buy tickets/passes for? The school I follow has never really been a sports powerhouse at the state level, but the most recent graduating class of 46 had a kid commit to the Big 10 for running, a kid to Cornell for football, one D2 and several D3. Good athletes, but even better students. **IF** my theory is true that private schools have a higher percentage of kids that are NCAA eligible academically, NCAA level athletically, and obviously a higher percentage of families that are able and willing to take on partial scholarships - then it makes sense why an all private school tournament could make some sense, because there would be a college recruiting interest in the private school tournament that might not be as present for an all-public school tournament (one that probably loses its efficacy in part because the best teams in the state across public and private lines aren't there competing.) Look at New Jersey, I believe they have separate tournaments. Where does all of the athletic talent from NJ for basketball and football come from? Private schools.

Last edited by The Dock; 03-27-17 at 11:37 AM.