View Single Post
Old 03-03-18, 12:06 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Shout out to Rocks hoops team who got by Jerome again at this stage of the game , this time a lot more comfortably with Sr. Nick Carlson having may be his best game this season with 16 points, and Jr. rising star Derek Van Vlerah having a great overall game with 13 points and 12 boards and is a very good defender who gets the toughest assignments most nights and is a long athletic player { High jumper in track } .

Soph Star Dom Penn chipped in 11 with many well timed bombs as it was clear that Jerome was focused on his output and his steady play made the others better and productive .

2014 rematch vs a good Newark squad at a similar point of the proceedings { Rocks downed favored Nerk} in what looks like a nice even match-up.

UA looms as it appears they are poised to end Northland's season for what seems to be the 12th time recently { 4 times if they roll and I believe they will } and the Rocks of course have to take care of business In a losable game vs Nerk but if they do an epic third match up with the Bears beckons ?? Rocks have lost the two previous meetings in excruciating fashion having leads late in both before losing on last second threes.

Girls hoops is poised to get back to the regional level again{ Has to beat Westy South Ibbies} where they lost in the finals last year vs Newark , after beating PC who is excellent this year hammering 1st seeded Newark late in the year , on a three at the buzzer by Ohio State commit Jacy Sheldon that broke a tie game . PC is really good as is Newark and R-Burg, Coffman has a shot , but it is an evenly matched CO this year at the top .

It's been a very solid Winter season for Rocks programs overall . In addition to the hoops teams , both boys and girls Swimming teams finished as the top Central Ohio teams at the state meet, which has never happened before for the Rocks . UA has ruled that roost for years.

Wrestling in a somewhat rebuild has done very well winning the Central beating Marysville in a razor close finish , I thin M-Ville who is higher ranked had some guys out ? I really don't know but was surprised at that result , I am sure some out here who may read this know?

Anyway, Sr. Murray lost a tough decision in his second match at 113 but has a great chance to qualify for the state meet as he won his first losers bracket match and is favored to place third and obviously qualify . Frosh Baumann at 106 , Sr. Yost at 145 and Jr. Wolak at 182 are all through to the Semifinals .

Rocks are on the young side and in definite rebuild mode , so no there won't be a mass shouting of ' SHHHHHAAAAAAMMMMROCK " from the Rocks faithful as I know many wrestling fans thought was just so adorable a couple of years ago ? OK fellas, I don't want those veins popping out as I know they tend to do when discussing anything Coffman. lol

4 qualifiers seems reasonable here and I think they will be solid next year as well with a probable two state qualifiers back next season is a decent place to start , not top tier but solid.

Forgot to mention that Olentangy's excellent staff gets even stronger as a definite Hall OF famer in John Magistro joins Mark Solis's staff . Magistro as most know stepped down at Westy Central , I knew he was likely not finished coaching and had one more job in him, I didn't think or see coming him joining another staff . Nice addition to say the least to the Braves staff. I don't think that the Braves will be terribly hurt this year from the opening of Berlin, but it appears soon enough they might be ?

College Rocks at the D-1 level are possibly poised to rise in the depth charts? Red Shirt Soph QB Gunnar Hoak at Kentucky is right there at the top right now with a great chance to win the job in the spring. He was the player of the game in last spring 's game but vet Johnson was firmly entrenched as the guy.

Johnson is graduated and 5th year guy Drew Barker decided not to come back , so Gunnar has a really good chance or starting or at the very least some some time next season. Massillon and Hoban QB and former OSU commit Danny Clark is down there but is third on the chart right now I believe.

LB Griffin Grady who didn't redshirt as a frosh as he was a number two due to injuries, is kind of stuck behind a couple of long term vets , 5th year guys , still a number two but starting to run out of years ? A bit undersized at inside LB for this program , he could start for a host of solid power five teams but at Wiscky the LB'S stay forever it seems and they are good and well coached . You better like the school and academics at this level because it is COMPETITIVE and you may not ever start . I think eventually Grady will start but without a red shirt year it may not be until next year which will be his last of eligibility .

OT - Left Tackle Alex Gellerstadt with be the number two Left tackle it seems at the start of Spring ball , he did redshirt his Frosh year so he has three years left , but the kid above him also has three years left? Could he move to right tackle? Who knows , can he possibly beat out the kid above him ? Perhaps, I suppose, I do know the coaches and James Franklin himself have sung his praises and like his potential .

Looking at the league foes in terms of next season and Rocks are at least as good as all of them I believe , but UA and Davidson are capable of beating them in 2018 so a lot more work to do and improvements to be made because you know those clubs are really getting after it in the off-season as are most of the Rocks opponents.

Taking an initial look at them now .