View Single Post
Old 03-20-17, 06:01 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojandave View Post
VASJ will be Fairland's toughest opponent of the year, and will be the favorite by most to advance. For the size of school they are, the Vikings play probably the toughest schedule in the state, including a win at ASVSM. The Dragons, though, have several positives going for them. One, they have the same starting 5 from a year ago, with basically the same rotation. Two, they have developed a good chemistry because of this, and thirdly, they have played a challenging schedule, including a win over traditional power Dayton Chaminade Julienne, and also Huntington High WV, which in Ohio would be a D1 school. Huntington won the 2014 and 2015 Class AAA WV state championships.

Fairland is athletic and fairly long, but VASJ plays a lot teams like that. Against Hiland, the Dragons missed too many layups which could be costly vs. the Vikings. It will be interesting to see what defense FHS employs against VASJ, because the Dragons are at their best when they are pressing and playing half court man to man. They do favor an uptempo game.

I think it's very important for Fairland to get off to a good start, to give them confidence on this big stage.

VASJ, with this 16th appearance in the state tournament, breaks a tie with my Portsmouth Trojans for the 2nd most state appearances all time.
Nice summary Dave. By the way, we played football in Portsmouth a few years ago and I must say I enjoyed the game, the fans, and historic venue. We also played in nearby Wheelersburg in 2009 and enjoyed ourselves there as well. All good people.