Thread: Ask the ref?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-15, 06:26 PM
All District

steelboot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaaaveYouMetTed View Post
My understanding is that if the defender trapped the ball with the intent that the keeper would pick it up, that's an infraction and the ref should award an indirect free kick at the spot where the keeper picked it up. Because there's no "pass" back to the keeper in this situation, it might be difficult for a ref to say the trap was "deliberate" as the rule contemplates the term, but if the ref thinks it's on purpose then it's definitely a violation.

The rule calls for the ball to be placed where the keeper picked it up. In this scenario, that would mean an indirect free kick from 1 or 2 feet in front of the goal. Because the defending team cannot stand within 10 yards of the goal, it would seem that all the offensive team would have to do is touch the ball and pass it into a wide open goal. I'm not sure if the 10 yard rule is enforced so close to the goal though.
The defensive team can line up on the goalline. We had a similar situation in a tournament final a few years ago "Illegal" touching by the keeper and we had an indirect free kick right about the 6 yard box and the other team packed the goal. My player blasted the ball top shelf for the game winner.