Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Canton's Tom Benson Stadium construction cost surges to $80 Million (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279080)

DaveDawg 05-30-15 12:00 PM

Canton's Tom Benson Stadium construction cost surges to $80 Million
 
Canton's Tom Benson Stadium construction cost surges to $80 Million -
New details are to be available in Sunday's (tomorrow) special section of The Repository.

Here is a quote from a previous CantonRep article ...

Hall of Fame Village has evolved from an original plan to renovate what used to be called Fawcett Stadium for about $25 million. IRG has projected $80 million for Fawcett, of which $10 million was donated by New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson, and $10 million came from state funding.
About 76 percent of the $476 million will be dedicated to three projects: $80 million for Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium; $127 million for a full-service, four-star hotel; and $157 million for what is the signature new attraction, the Hall of Fame NFL Experience. Those three projects will cost $364 million.

OrangeBlood 05-30-15 12:31 PM

Lots and lots of new jobs for Stark County. These projects should be really great for you folks over there. Sincere congratulations. :clap:

Oil Filter 05-30-15 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveDawg (Post 6181480)
IRG has projected $80 million for Fawcett, of which $10 million was donated by New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson, and $10 million came from state funding.

And the other $60 million?

arizonawildcat 05-30-15 01:34 PM

With all the purported billions that are projected to pour into Canton, it's a small price to pay.

The Butler 05-30-15 01:42 PM

Same company that did Jerry's Place is going to do the design work.

Crusaders 05-30-15 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Butler (Post 6181522)
Same company that did Jerry's Place is going to do the design work.

HKS does good work, usually. Hopefully they go more Lucas Oil Stadium (brick; industrial-ish) and less Landed Spaceship.

Oil Filter 05-30-15 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusaders (Post 6181562)
HKS does good work, usually. Hopefully they go more Lucas Oil Stadium (brick; industrial-ish) and less Landed Spaceship.

You don't think that either is a bit, um, overkill, for a HS stadium?

arizonawildcat 05-30-15 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oil Filter (Post 6181596)
You don't think that either is a bit, um, overkill, for a HS stadium?

Says a backer of a school with, I believe, the only indoor practice facility for football in the state.

Crusaders 05-30-15 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oil Filter (Post 6181596)
You don't think that either is a bit, um, overkill, for a HS stadium?

What would be overkill?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Oil Filter 05-30-15 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusaders (Post 6181611)
What would be overkill?

An $80 million stadium modeled on either Lucas Oil or AT&T.

Crusaders 05-30-15 05:31 PM

That's not what I said.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

dropbar 05-30-15 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusaders (Post 6181620)
That's not what I said.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Who gives a crap if it's "Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk". SMH

firewatch 05-30-15 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat (Post 6181601)
Says a backer of a school with, I believe, the only indoor practice facility for football in the state.

No, A lot of the college and pro teams in the state have one.:D

dropbar 05-30-15 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat (Post 6181601)
Says a backer of a school with, I believe, the only indoor practice facility for football in the state.

It's used a lot for more than just the HS football team.

DaveDawg 05-30-15 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat (Post 6181601)
Says a backer of a school with, I believe, the only indoor practice facility for football in the state.

Canton is going to get one as well. Details Sunday.

Crusaders 05-30-15 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dropbar (Post 6181644)
Who gives a crap if it's "Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk". SMH

Not surprised you don't understand.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

arizonawildcat 05-30-15 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveDawg (Post 6181667)
Canton is going to get one as well. Details Sunday.

My gawd, how will the other schools in Div. 1 ever compete?

firewatch 05-30-15 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat (Post 6181686)
My gawd, how will the other schools in Div. 1 ever compete?

By recruiting players from 7 counties.:D

arizonawildcat 05-30-15 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firewatch (Post 6181697)
By recruiting players from 7 counties.:D

Never gets old, does it?

LewisandClark 05-30-15 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firewatch (Post 6181697)
By recruiting players from 7 counties.:D

Walked into that one!

murphy13 05-30-15 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat (Post 6181704)
Never gets old, does it?

Nope:D

Raymo 05-31-15 12:25 PM

A special section in The Rep tells all about the Stadium and the village,enjoy it football fans.

McGuirk 05-31-15 05:14 PM

Still very interested to see what the final stadium plans look like, and thus where the 80 million is going. Eagle Stadium in Allen, Texas (pictured below) was built for 60 million. Hopefully Benson Stadium won't have to be condemned a year after it opens, however.

http://www.pbk.com/default/Portfolio...enEagles_1.jpg

Crusaders 05-31-15 05:19 PM

A few things I can think of off the top of my head:
- New lockerooms
- New scoreboard
- New facade (I'd hope for brick)
- Expansion of capacity and/or addition of luxury suites
- Renovated or new press boxes
- Seats instead of bleachers
- Improved restrooms
- Improved concessions areas
- General improvements and repairs to existing structure
- New turf


Thankfully, the firm hired for this is top notch and something like what happened with that stadium in Texas should be entirely avoided.


Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

DaveDawg 05-31-15 05:33 PM

Very little available on line today.

What is in the special section of note beside two columns available?

tboltguy 05-31-15 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McGuirk (Post 6181952)
Still very interested to see what the final stadium plans look like, and thus where the 80 million is going. Eagle Stadium in Allen, Texas (pictured below) was built for 60 million. Hopefully Benson Stadium won't have to be condemned a year after it opens, however.

http://www.pbk.com/default/Portfolio...enEagles_1.jpg

I found that whole situation down there to be hilarious.

Oil Filter 05-31-15 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusaders (Post 6181954)
- General improvements and repairs to existing structure

You do realize that the existing structure (save the new press box) will be entirely demolished?

Crusaders 05-31-15 07:45 PM

Then it will be demolished :shrug:

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Drew44 05-31-15 07:54 PM

I hope the sight lines will be the same and it will not be built similar to professional stadiums where the seats are so far away from the field.

LepsLB 05-31-15 10:55 PM

I really, really would love to see all of this happen, but I am extremely skeptical. I hope this is all NFL money but I foresee them trying to pass this onto the area with tax increases. That is how they do it. Suck you in with some bait and leave you hanging. If that is the case, I say NOGO. The NFL is fat with cash, this area does not have it to fund these types of ventures and I hope not to see what I suspect is coming.

I'm all in favor of capitalism but I know how politicians and sports fat cats operate. Skeptical!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.