Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boys Basketball (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Kyle Young Ties Gary Grant 22nd All Time Stark County (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299762)

Hayden Fox 02-11-17 01:19 PM

Kyle Young Ties Gary Grant 22nd All Time Stark County

Last night Kyle Young tied Gary Grant with 1,361 points for 22nd all time in Stark County scoring.

I remember a couple of years ago when McKinley fans laughed when I said he would have a better career than Grant.

:cool:

my2sense 02-11-17 02:21 PM

My guess is they are still laughing - as am I.

Hayden Fox 02-11-17 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2sense (Post 6699081)

Well you guys have had a lot to laugh (and cry) about this season

bluesteel4 02-11-17 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2sense (Post 6699081)

Your allowed to laugh all you want. It does not change the statistics.

hs sports fan 02-11-17 05:04 PM

Congrats to the young man!

Let's put this into perspective though. This is not intended to take anything away from Young.
  1. Scoring more points doesn't equate to having a better career.
  2. Grant won a state title and Young has yet to play past the regional semis with just one district title.
  3. As a senior, Grant was the AP Ohio D1 Player of the Year and a McDonald's All-American.
  4. Freshmen were not eligible to play when Grant was in high school and he played just 3 seasons. Young has been a varsity player for 4 seasons.

WhatsupDoc 02-11-17 05:13 PM

When did the state have a rule that freshman couldn't play varsity?

BlackHawk 02-11-17 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc (Post 6699177)
When did the state have a rule that freshman couldn't play varsity?

Good question. That's news to me. I never knew Freshmen were ineligible when Grant was in High School. :shrug:

Hayden Fox 02-11-17 05:38 PM

Kyle got injured his freshman year and also didn't play much

Mackinbiner 02-11-17 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hs sports fan (Post 6699173)
Freshmen were not eligible to play when Grant was in high school and he played just 3 seasons. Young has been a varsity player for 4 seasons.

BS. That rule didn't exist. McKinley had Troy Taylor and Ronnie Stokes when Grant was a freshman. He didn't make the varsity.

Raymo 02-11-17 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackinbiner (Post 6699194)
BS. That rule didn't exist. McKinley had Troy Taylor and Ronnie Stokes when Grant was a freshman. He didn't make the varsity.

Where were you in '81?:shrug:

Mackinbiner 02-11-17 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymo (Post 6699209)
Where were you in '81?:shrug:

Sometimes watching the Bulldogs. Stokes and Taylor were lots of fun to watch.

ringer2 02-11-17 09:23 PM

Freshmen didn't play in Canton at the time because CCS had junior highs and freshmen played for their junior high, not their senior high school. And I dont think Grant even moved to Canton until his sophomore year.

And claiming Young's career (which was been excellent) is anywhere near Grant's is, uh, absurd.

McK93 02-11-17 09:31 PM

I see this thread was more to take shots at Grant than congratulate Kyle. Pathetic. Typical elitist attitude.

Hayden Fox 02-11-17 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McK93 (Post 6699317)
I see this thread was more to take shots at Grant than congratulate Kyle. Pathetic. Typical elitist attitude.

My aren't we the sensitive one.

Just pointing out the fact that Kyle tied Gary Grant and Mck fans acted as though that would be blasphemy

firewatch 02-11-17 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackinbiner (Post 6699194)

Freshman didn't go to McKinley back then. They were still in junior high.

Mackinbiner 02-11-17 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firewatch (Post 6699339)
Freshman didn't go to McKinley back then. They were still in junior high.

This conversation doesn't belong here, but McKinley had a quarterback who played as a freshman in the 70's. So there's more to the story.

McK93 02-11-17 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayden Fox (Post 6699330)
My aren't we the sensitive one.

Just pointing out the fact that Kyle tied Gary Grant and Mck fans acted as though that would be blasphemy

You keep saying McKinley fans when you mean some guy, one guy probably and you just ran with the whole "McKinley fans" theory. You're a pathetic troll who can't even enjoy your school's success because you're obsessed with chasing a history that Jackson will never touch.

ringer2 02-12-17 12:10 AM

From 1976 to about mid-90s, freshmen attended junior highs in Canton.

Raymo 02-12-17 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ringer2 (Post 6699310)
Freshmen didn't play in Canton at the time because CCS had junior highs and freshmen played for their junior high, not their senior high school. And I dont think Grant even moved to Canton until his sophomore year.

And claiming Young's career (which was been excellent) is anywhere near Grant's is, uh, absurd.

Thank you,I had to wait till today to respond...Gary could play any sport and would have been one of the best...BAM!:crush:

Raymo 02-12-17 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackinbiner (Post 6699357)
This conversation doesn't belong here, but McKinley had a quarterback who played as a freshman in the 70's. So there's more to the story.

He was a freshman but should have been a Junior.:)

my2sense 02-12-17 09:13 AM

The sole purpose of the thread was to try to poke McK fans. To suggest that the two players are similar, let alone equal, is ignorant.

I can only hope that the continual anti-McK vitriol posted by Jackson fans is based in their own jealousy of McK successes and not some deeper and uglier biases.

In either case it should be closed.

Mackinbiner 02-12-17 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2sense (Post 6699475)
The sole purpose of the thread was to try to poke McK fans. To suggest that the two players are similar, let alone equal, is ignorant.

I can only hope that the continual anti-McK vitriol posted by Jackson fans is based in their own jealousy of McK successes and not some deeper and uglier biases.

In either case it should be closed.

I disagree. I feel the purpose of the thread was to make it known that Kyle Young has tied Gary Grant in high school career scoring. And it happened in spite of the reluctance of some to believe it could happen.

This is only a comparison of high school careers. I don't see anyone forecasting or comparing what Young will do after high school to what Grant did after he left Canton.

It was a pleasure watching Gary Grant back in the 80's (didn't he even play for a while with a broken left arm?) and it's also been a great pleasure watching Kyle Young grow and mature with his game over the last ten years.

Let's face it though, a good bit of Grant's legacy is in leading McKinley to its first state championship after having been in the championship game 8 times. Young can't do that because Jackson has already won a state championship.

Flood 02-12-17 11:27 AM

Sounds like I'm still listening to the Sunday political shows on this thread.

"You're a disgrace."

"No, you're a disgrace..."

Congrats to Young. Great player.

afwpatfire 02-12-17 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flood (Post 6699527)

"You're a disgrace."

Perfect.

Let's just congratulate the kid. Not everything has to be compared.

nd31 miami 30 02-12-17 01:21 PM

You cannot blame Young for only having one District title. That blame lies with inept coaching; and to a much lesser degree, talent. It is a great accomplishment to surpass Grant in scoring. No one said anything about Young being better than Grant. Obviously, Grant was on another level. Jackson is the clear favorite to win the district this year, but with Debevec on the bench, another flame out wouldn't be that shocking imho.

BigBulldog 02-12-17 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flood (Post 6699527)

"You're a disgrace."

:clap:

my2sense 02-12-17 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackinbiner (Post 6699512)
This is only a comparison of high school careers. I don't see anyone forecasting or comparing what Young will do after high school to what Grant did after he left Canton.

Isn't it impossible to compare careers until Young's is over?

Which proves my point - this thread is not meant to compare anything. It's meant to hide behind biased agendas and only stir negative reactions. We see through the pretense even if you and the mods pretend not to see.

Young can only hope to have the career success that Grant achieved.

Mackinbiner 02-12-17 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2sense (Post 6700012)
Isn't it impossible to compare careers until Young's is over?

What planet are you from?

It's very easy to compare the number of points scored by these two players and that's all that's being compared. The total is even now but Kyle will probably pass Grant early in Tuesday's game.

Keep your trouble making to yourself.

BigWorm 02-12-17 08:46 PM

Lol at "22nd in the COUNTY"

my2sense 02-13-17 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hs sports fan (Post 6699173)
Let's put this into perspective though.
  1. Scoring more points doesn't equate to having a better career.
  2. Grant won a state title and Young has yet to play past the regional semis with just one district title.
  3. As a senior, Grant was the AP Ohio D1 Player of the Year and a McDonald's All-American.
  4. Freshmen were not eligible to play when Grant was in high school and he played just 3 seasons. Young has been a varsity player for 4 seasons.

Let's not let facts get in the way of other hateful agendas.

Curious that as Young has climbed the scoring list no thread was posted until he passed this particular one from McKinley. Hmmmm