Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boys Track & Field/Cross Country (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Central District Location (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314406)

Qualifer17 07-24-18 04:00 PM

Central District Location

Haven’t come across this yet on the forum so I figured I’d let everyone know, as of about 2wks ago, the Central District will no longer be held at Watkins and instead Hilliard Darby (Home of the 2017 MMOC).

http://www.cdab.org/sports/cc/default.htm

PatHelgerman 07-24-18 09:13 PM

In a way, Watkins deserves this for shafting Marty Dauhman. But, my girls will miss going there and so will I. I have lots of memories of that place that I would never trade, good and bad.

I've never been to Darby. Does it have the character that Watkins has? What is it like?

mathking 07-25-18 10:10 AM

No it does not have character like Watkins. It is tabletop flat and open. On the plus side it is a better course for watching. And there is a much lower likelihood of a terrain related injury.

Rohbino 07-25-18 11:07 AM

Here is a picture of the Darby course:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/48/bb/ab/4...44a775524a.jpg

PatHelgerman 07-25-18 03:52 PM

Just to clarify, my comment was about the Watkins administration. I think the coaching staff could probably pick up and run the meet really well. They are good people with lots of experience.

@Rohbino that's funny!

insidecorner 07-26-18 07:06 PM

That is very sad news. Watkins really has a lot of great memories for me and my family. I remember trying to catch a glimpse of my kids by the trailer right before they come out of the woods on each loop. Hilliard Darby is a better place to watch, but it really is a "speed" course, not a strength course. Rohbino's picture is about right...

Rohbino 07-27-18 09:55 AM

Is there a reason that Liberty Park in Powell can't be used? It is now Ohio Wesleyan's home course and the NCAA D3 Great Lakes Regional meet was held there is 2017. It is also the site of this year's NCAC league championship meet. If it's good enough for those meets it should be good enough for the Central District regional meet. Ohio Wesleyan is also hosting their invite there in September. The course is certainly better than Darby's. This year would not work because the NCAC meet is on October 27, the same day as the regional meet, but perhaps it should be considered as a venue for future years.

PatHelgerman 07-27-18 11:44 AM

Parking and access restrictions might be factors with Liberty park. I was thinking Lancaster personally. It would be interesting to hear the story of the politics behind this.

I wonder how many tens of thousands of dollars this will cost Watkins since you can figure attendance at their invitational will probably start to decline next year.

Newton's Third 07-27-18 01:25 PM

It is normal at the regional level and the district level usually follows to find a good meet manager, not a course. Then the course follows if it can handle parking, spectators, and other necessities. Maybe potential meet managers near Liberty Park and Lancaster were not interested in hosting.

mathking 07-28-18 10:30 AM

Parking would definitely be an issue with Liberty Park. It is a nice course (my son’s first XC race was there) and I have seen a couple college races there. But as Newton’s Third said, the race goes where there is a willing meet manager with a facility that can handle crowds and parking.

Running Man 101 07-29-18 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathking (Post 7074551)
Parking would definitely be an issue with Liberty Park. It is a nice course (my son’s first XC race was there) and I have seen a couple college races there. But as Newton’s Third said, the race goes where there is a willing meet manager with a facility that can handle crowds and parking.

Liberty can handle a District race. They parked in the church last year for the Regional D3 race.

Not a bad place to watch either. Better than VOA.

mathking 07-29-18 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Running Man 101 (Post 7075014)
Liberty can handle a District race. They parked in the church last year for the Regional D3 race.

Not a bad place to watch either. Better than VOA.

They probably don't have enough parking to handle the central district meet. I was at the NCAA D3 regional race last year. There would probably be several times more spectators for the district meet. Definitely way more buses. For boys there will be 54 teams in D1, 26 in D2 and 27 in D3. (107 total) For the girls there will be 49 in D1, 23 in D2 and 28 in D3. (100 total) Some of those won't field full teams but there will still be over 80 full teams for both boys and girls. There is considerably less parking available than at Watkins. Bus parking alone will be a big issue, and traffic there tends to back up easily.