Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Basketball (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Is The NCAA Tournament Field Too Large? (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300949)

EagleGuy 03-17-17 11:32 AM

Is The NCAA Tournament Field Too Large?

Should the tourney go back to 48 or 32 teams?

ronnie mund 03-17-17 12:05 PM

No, I think it's great the way it is.

eastside_purple 03-17-17 12:14 PM

Nope. Glad we settled this.

Sig Hansen 03-17-17 12:15 PM

No, it's the greatest and most well-run sporting event of the year and should be left alone.

SportsGenius 03-17-17 12:38 PM

I would just go back to the 64 teams and skip the play in games

Spize 03-17-17 07:27 PM

Instead of future expansion and the stupid play in "first four"

Why not just eliminate one of the 4 brackets, expand the NIT, and have the NIT be the mid-major bracket and winner of the NIT is the 4th of the final 4.

If you say $$$ I disagree... I could market and sell the sh*t out of that.

Sig Hansen 03-17-17 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spize (Post 6729958)

Why not just eliminate one of the 4 brackets, expand the NIT, and have the NIT be the mid-major bracket and winner of the NIT is the 4th of the final 4.

Because the tournament is perfect the way it is :wallbang:

I'm confused why anyone would want to change anything about it tbh. If you don't like the tourney now then you must not like college basketball. The tournament is always exciting, very well attended by fans and every single game is available on television and internet for free. So yeah, let's make major changes :laugh:

eastside_purple 03-17-17 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spize (Post 6729958)

Sounds like a stupid idea.

Arrogate 03-17-17 08:11 PM

Wait how can I view for free on the Internet

Sig Hansen 03-17-17 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrogate (Post 6730080)
Wait how can I view for free on the Internet

Not sure if serious, but they've had this for like six yearshttp://www.cbssports.com/

All radio broadcasts are available from Westwood One I think

Arrogate 03-17-17 08:18 PM

:laugh:

Sig Hansen 03-17-17 08:23 PM

You never know man :laugh:

eastside_purple 03-17-17 08:26 PM

I use the NCAA March Madness app.

cjb56 03-18-17 11:43 AM

I could live with scaling it back to 64, and getting rid of the First Four, but other than that...leave it alone. And I'm fine if they keep it as it is now, but I definitely would not expand it past 68.

Michael Bluth 03-18-17 12:02 PM

March Madness is amazing, but the regular season is kind of pointless for the most part. I don't think they should change anything though other than getting rid of the first four play-in

Salesman 03-19-17 10:46 PM

Leave it alone. Great tourney with little debate about who is or isn't in the field.

sodbuster 03-20-17 11:20 AM

The only change that is needed is more competent officiating. It stinks so bad. But I guess $ rules the tournament. So it won't change.

14Red 03-20-17 11:53 AM

The set up in the NCAA tournament is fantastic. I don't think there is anyone that can complain about who gets in, who doesn't. The mid majors have their way of getting into the tournament. I do think it's difficult to for a mid major to really have a legitimate chance of winning the entire tournament. Yes, they could win a game, or even get to the sweet 16, but to actually win the tournament is a pipe dream.

I don't think you'll ever see the teams go back. That's television revenue and simply won't happen.

14Red 03-20-17 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodbuster (Post 6731943)
The only change that is needed is more competent officiating. It stinks so bad. But I guess $ rules the tournament. So it won't change.

Ok, sod, I'll bite. Please tell me how you get better officiating? The guys that do the games now are the best officials in college basketball today, they get paid alot of money. So who's going to do it better??

Now please don't take this as an attack, I throw it out in general because it's what I hear alot about sports, officiating is bad, etc.

We've evolved, especially in basketball, where we don't want officials to call the game as it was intended. We tend to watch games and assess our opinion based on who we are rooting for. How many times to we get mad at officials for calling it too tight when our team is on defense, and too lose when our team is on offense?

My opinion on officials is this...you have 40 minutes in college basketball to win/ lose a game. You have 5 fouls per player. There are dozens and dozens of judgement calls made by officials throughout a game. You are going to get some and some are going against you, they generally balance themselves out.

Yappi 03-20-17 12:43 PM

I would get rid of the play-in games. I just don't care for those games and they don't really add anything to the overall quality of the tournament.

adselder09 03-20-17 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yappi (Post 6732062)
I would get rid of the play-in games. I just don't care for those games and they don't really add anything to the overall quality of the tournament.

Since they added the play-in games to round the field out at 68, a team that has played in Dayton and won has also at least won a Round of 64 game, so from that standpoint they matter a little.

I'd like to see them do away with the 16-seed play-in games though. Make them all at-large teams on the 11-12-13 line.

MontetheCarlo 03-20-17 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yappi (Post 6732062)

Leave it be for no other reason than it brings $4-5 million to Dayton - a town that could use the money.

EagleGuy 03-20-17 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14Red (Post 6732017)
Ok, sod, I'll bite. Please tell me how you get better officiating? The guys that do the games now are the best officials in college basketball today, they get paid alot of money. So who's going to do it better??

Now please don't take this as an attack, I throw it out in general because it's what I hear alot about sports, officiating is bad, etc.

We've evolved, especially in basketball, where we don't want officials to call the game as it was intended. We tend to watch games and assess our opinion based on who we are rooting for. How many times to we get mad at officials for calling it too tight when our team is on defense, and too lose when our team is on offense?

My opinion on officials is this...you have 40 minutes in college basketball to win/ lose a game. You have 5 fouls per player. There are dozens and dozens of judgement calls made by officials throughout a game. You are going to get some and some are going against you, they generally balance themselves out.

Good point. Given the amount of contact in today's game, the refs have to make some tough judgement calls. Otherwise, both starting squads would be on the bench by halftime. (Certain amount of hyperbole there).

Jhubbs77 03-21-17 03:05 PM

The amount of teams is fine. I'd like to see the auto bids in small conferences go to the regular season champ but that won't happen. I did like Garry Parrish's idea of at least giving them a bye to the final

sodbuster 03-21-17 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14Red (Post 6732017)

Ask Northwestern, A player sticks his up through the rim to block a dunk and nothing is called? Maybe some officials would be better if they would just look, BTW, there are 3 of them.

Monclova Steve 03-22-17 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhubbs77 (Post 6732915)
The amount of teams is fine. I'd like to see the auto bids in small conferences go to the regular season champ but that won't happen. I did like Garry Parrish's idea of at least giving them a bye to the final

That change would be perfect. I always hate it when the regular season champ of one of the one-bid conferences has a bad game and loses in their conference tourney -- negating almost the efforts made over the entire season.

At least giving them a bye into the final would make the regular season meaningful. Then -- should they lose in the final -- they could only blame themselves for blowing their great opportunity.

USA70PP 03-28-17 05:49 AM

Regards the Northwestern non call. Maybe there could be something similar to football where the coach gets so many challenges during the game for review of plays.

ronnie mund 03-28-17 06:13 AM

Or just have someone on the sideline whose sole job is to monitor close calls the entire game. I can't stand the constant trips to the monitors by the refs. Completely ruins the flow of games.

adselder09 03-28-17 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnie mund (Post 6738369)
Or just have someone on the sideline whose sole job is to monitor close calls the entire game. I can't stand the constant trips to the monitors by the refs. Completely ruins the flow of games.

There's an extra referee sitting at the scorers table with a monitor in front of him. He can watch a quick replay and make a call for them on the fly. It really wouldn't be that tough and if it was then you can call over the other guys to help.

14Red 03-28-17 01:20 PM

I think the tournament is about right. It covers 3 weekends, it provides an opportunity for mid majors to get in, and you have some major conference teams who can get hot and get in.