Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ohio State Buckeyes 2018 (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309607)

DB135 01-08-18 09:30 AM

Analysis: Taking an early position-by-position look at the 2018 Ohio State football
 
https://www.thelantern.com/2017/12/a...state-offense/

https://www.thelantern.com/2017/12/a...state-defense/

Crusaders 01-08-18 01:45 PM

Burrow should transfer ASAP. He's not an Urban Meyer QB.

Michael Bluth 01-08-18 02:37 PM

^ Neither is Haskins

Crusaders 01-08-18 02:38 PM

#HouseMartell

Auggie 01-08-18 03:36 PM

Urban seemed to be OK with Alex Smith when he was at Utah, he was a pro-style QB. Also SEC honks always said he wasn't a RB guy yet he has started a great run of RBs at tOSU. So I think he changes and allows the offensive play callers to run a more pro style offense if Haskins is the man but the twist will be an uptempo pace.

How much of a difference a year makes too on the DL. In 2017 it was a group of DEs, next year it turns into a group of DTs. Hopefully Bosa will be in good shape as he will not be leaving the field too much in 2018. Kind of a head scratcher as to why Cox decommitted as he would have probably been in the rotation as a true Frosh.

Crusaders 01-08-18 03:59 PM

Smith had a 149 carries his Soph. season and 135 his Jr. season. He was not a pro-style QB.

Yappi 01-08-18 07:06 PM

Jerome Baker is leaving:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTCw2dxWsAA4pmC.jpg

lotr10 01-08-18 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusaders (Post 6958012)
Burrow should transfer ASAP. He's not an Urban Meyer QB.

Agreed. This quote from the article tells me that their prediction that Martel could shoot ahead of the other two is probably right:

Martell’s teammates have laughed in awe of his runs at practice.

Now this is what makes Meyer's pulse quicken. My guess is Burrow has dropped to 3rd on the QB list and he's to damned talented to be a 3rd stringer. he should pick up a phone and give Jim a call up at Ann Arbor! Meyer would have to let him go free and clear, especially after letting a player who opted out of playing, walk the sideline at the Cotton Bowl in a game jersey. Burrow would immediately upgrade Michigans passing game.

Crusaders 01-08-18 10:04 PM

Michigan got the kid from Ole Miss, I believe. Burrow could probably go to UC.

lotr10 01-08-18 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusaders (Post 6958404)
Michigan got the kid from Ole Miss, I believe. Burrow could probably go to UC.

Or Alabama. They look like they could use a QB!

WinstonSmith 01-08-18 11:16 PM

Burrow could do better than UC, but he’d be the man day 1.

lotr10 01-08-18 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinstonSmith (Post 6958480)
Burrow could do better than UC, but he’d be the man day 1.

And this is where kids have to make better decisions coming out of high school IMO. If he went to UC and shined he would be drafted just as high as if he shined at Ohio State. Just ask the QB at Wyoming who will likely be a top 5 pick taken this year.

Crusaders 01-09-18 12:41 AM

https://ohiostate.247sports.com/Bolt...2018-113289907

Some speculation here about QB:
- Dwayne Haskins will be the #1
- Burrow could transfer after he graduates in May
- Tate Martell is expected to be the backup but could play another position to take advantage of his athleticism

Auggie 01-09-18 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotr10 (Post 6958487)
And this is where kids have to make better decisions coming out of high school IMO. If he went to UC and shined he would be drafted just as high as if he shined at Ohio State. Just ask the QB at Wyoming who will likely be a top 5 pick taken this year.

Certain positions are very complex when it comes to the recruiting game with QB as #1. Depth chart, system, Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, QB Coach, school history at the position, weather of the conference, etc... are some of the factors I have heard that a kid and his parents have to consider when looking at schools. I'm not sure UC was a place that checked all the boxes Burows wanted when he was looking to commit, depth chart was OK but all the other spots were not that much better than tOSU to move the needle to the 2nd fiddle in state school. His perfect fit was probably Michigan State or Wisconsin and maybe he should have looked that way but his dad knows this game and he must have went tOSU for a reason. Nonetheless he is going to graduate in May so depending how the spring plays out he can have a lot of options and be a decent free agent prospect for a QB needy program. A lot of tOSU players transfer to Duke, going to graduate school there for free would not stink. Also Florida is another program that could come into play as Emory Jones might not be as polished as advertised.

cjb56 01-09-18 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auggie (Post 6958786)
Certain positions are very complex when it comes to the recruiting game with QB as #1. Depth chart, system, Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, QB Coach, school history at the position, weather of the conference, etc... are some of the factors I have heard that a kid and his parents have to consider when looking at schools. I'm not sure UC was a place that checked all the boxes Burows wanted when he was looking to commit, depth chart was OK but all the other spots were not that much better than tOSU to move the needle to the 2nd fiddle in state school. His perfect fit was probably Michigan State or Wisconsin and maybe he should have looked that way but his dad knows this game and he must have went tOSU for a reason. Nonetheless he is going to graduate in May so depending how the spring plays out he can have a lot of options and be a decent free agent prospect for a QB needy program. A lot of tOSU players transfer to Duke, going to graduate school there for free would not stink. Also Florida is another program that could come into play as Emory Jones might not be as polished as advertised.

These guys all are supremely confident in their abilities and believe they will eventually start. You donít see too many D1 college QBís and NFL QBís that donít believe they are the best.

Emory Jones never impressed me in the few times I got to watch him. He was left out of The Opening for a reason.

Burrow will never start for OSU, but whatís going to happen this offseason will be amazing to watch. Urban having to decide between the best HS pure passer he claims to have ever seen (Haskins) and a kid who is his prototype QB (Martell).

lotr10 01-09-18 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjb56 (Post 6958798)
These guys all are supremely confident in their abilities and believe they will eventually start. You donít see too many D1 college QBís and NFL QBís that donít believe they are the best.

Emory Jones never impressed me in the few times I got to watch him. He was left out of The Opening for a reason.

Burrow will never start for OSU, but whatís going to happen this offseason will be amazing to watch. Urban having to decide between the best HS pure passer he claims to have ever seen (Haskins) and a kid who is his prototype QB (Martell).

Or maybe Meyer grows as a coach and follows Saban's lead. As the QB position has devolved into a more athletic position start treating them like you would RB's and play the hot hand.

lotr10 01-09-18 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auggie (Post 6958786)
Certain positions are very complex when it comes to the recruiting game with QB as #1. Depth chart, system, Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, QB Coach, school history at the position, weather of the conference, etc... are some of the factors I have heard that a kid and his parents have to consider when looking at schools. I'm not sure UC was a place that checked all the boxes Burows wanted when he was looking to commit, depth chart was OK but all the other spots were not that much better than tOSU to move the needle to the 2nd fiddle in state school. His perfect fit was probably Michigan State or Wisconsin and maybe he should have looked that way but his dad knows this game and he must have went tOSU for a reason. Nonetheless he is going to graduate in May so depending how the spring plays out he can have a lot of options and be a decent free agent prospect for a QB needy program. A lot of tOSU players transfer to Duke, going to graduate school there for free would not stink. Also Florida is another program that could come into play as Emory Jones might not be as polished as advertised.

Good insight. I just remember this kid in the state championship game slinging the ball all over with accuracy and touch, routinely going to his 2nd & 3rd target options and wondering at the time why he was going to Ohio State. It just seemed like the Big 12 would have been a natural fit for him.

As an aside, does he have two years of eligibility left? If he does, he will be the biggest name in college football's off season free market period.

Crusaders 01-09-18 11:09 AM

Burrow is a RS Soph

Yellow_Jacket06 01-11-18 06:42 PM

Campbell and Dre'Mont staying is pretty big.

Michael Bluth 01-11-18 10:01 PM

LOVE to see Dre'mont coming back.

Methinks these offensive guys are excited to see what they can do with Haskins

IronEagle82 01-12-18 12:53 AM

Love the idea of Burrow transferring to Cincinnati. LB Justin Hillard and RB Antonio Williams should become Bearcats too. There is too much talent ahead of them at their positions.

Raymo 01-12-18 07:41 AM

Looking forward to the change of the guard,whoever it may be will be different for sure.

EagleGuy 01-12-18 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronEagle82 (Post 6961077)
Love the idea of Burrow transferring to Cincinnati. LB Justin Hillard and RB Antonio Williams should become Bearcats too. There is too much talent ahead of them at their positions.

I imagine education is a part of the equation - at least, hopefully.

Taco MacArthur 01-24-18 01:38 PM

Kerry Combs off to the NFL. Vrabel hired him in Tenn.

Crusaders 01-24-18 01:55 PM

I wonder how many coaches actually go from HS to FBS to the NFL.

Michael Bluth 01-24-18 05:21 PM

Sitting here kinda thinking "fu** Vrabel" right now

cabezadecaballo 01-24-18 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusaders (Post 6970632)
I wonder how many coaches actually go from HS to FBS to the NFL.

Ask Jemele Hill

WinstonSmith 01-24-18 08:19 PM

Huge loss for OSU.

Taco MacArthur 01-25-18 08:06 AM

The Grinch hiring lessens the blow but yeah it's still sucks.

FormerWildcat 01-25-18 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur (Post 6970617)
Kerry Combs off to the NFL. Vrabel hired him in Tenn.

Here's the Nashville paper's article on the hiring of Coombs. I agree that it's a big loss for the Buckeyes. Vrabel is no dummy.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...ff/1059941001/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.