Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wrestling (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New head coach at mason? (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304266)

4x section qualifer 08-09-17 01:50 PM

New head coach at mason?

Now that root is gone does anyone know who will take over at mason or have any ideas who should?

Comet Chaser 08-09-17 02:41 PM

I think that they have a list of possible coaches that were already being thrown around. My fear is that all of the coaches follow Root. I would think Brennan Ryan is the top candidate.

darthmalice 08-09-17 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x section qualifer (Post 6803438)
Now that root is gone does anyone know who will take over at mason or have any ideas who should?

Santa Claus.

Suplexer130 08-09-17 03:00 PM

I think Jason Dean would actually be a great hire here.

TakeDown77 08-09-17 03:22 PM

Brennan Ryan. HANDS down.

4x section qualifer 08-09-17 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suplexer130 (Post 6803487)
I think Jason Dean would actually be a great hire here.

That's a name I was thinking about but he is head coach at winton woods if I remember right. But Coach Ryan could fit very well himself, this will be interesting who takes over the green powerhouse

Suplexer130 08-09-17 03:33 PM

Brennan just said recently he stepped away from the mount job to spend more time with his family and on his business. I am not sure jumping back into a head coaching job like Mason right away is in the cards but you never know. Sometimes the right fit can make you reevaluate your plans, I have been there before.

tubbyone 08-09-17 04:41 PM

jDean

Hands down jDean is the best man for the job!

Coach JDean 08-09-17 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubbyone (Post 6803556)
Hands down jDean is the best man for the job!

Thanks Tubby, even though I teach at Mason, I am not interested. I put 10 years coaching in that program and helped get it to where it is now. When Vance Reid and myself arrived at Mason in the same year (2001), Mason only had 14 kids on the team 9-12 grade. To see where it is now is something I can be proud of being a part of. Same as when I was at Harrison for 6 years in the mid to late 90's. I was able to see how to build programs the right way and I've coached with and learned from some of the best (Reid, Ernst, Dennis, Baird, Lehman and Murnan who is really like a little brother to me since he was a couple years behind me in HS when we were on the same team). So about 5 years ago I moved on to see if I could build something to be proud of at Winton Woods. Winton Woods only had 4 kids on the HS team when I arrived. Now we are at around 25- 30 kids on the team. We had a kid place 3rd at State last year and AA at Fargo. He is back to make a run at the the title. I am too invested in this Senior class and the boys at Winton Woods to leave now. Loyalty is something I believe strongly in.

MPhillips 08-09-17 05:22 PM

I watched your wrestler at state last year and even commented on what a big deal it was that Winton Woods had a state placer. Well done coach.

darthmalice 08-09-17 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPhillips (Post 6803605)
I watched your wrestler at state last year and even commented on what a big deal it was that Winton Woods had a state placer. Well done coach.

The Alumni from the 92' very much appreciate the job you've done, coach Dean. We thought, after the merger, the program was dead with the district being a football, basketball, and soccer power.

4x section qualifer 08-09-17 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPhillips (Post 6803605)

It is a great thing you and your staff are doing over there at winton woods, can't wait to see Beachem's run at state.
One question though, has winton woods ever had a state champ?

4thperiod 08-09-17 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach JDean (Post 6803587)
Thanks Tubby, even though I teach at Mason, I am not interested. I put 10 years coaching in that program and helped get it to where it is now. When Vance Reid and myself arrived at Mason in the same year (2001), Mason only had 14 kids on the team 9-12 grade. To see where it is now is something I can be proud of being a part of. Same as when I was at Harrison for 6 years in the mid to late 90's. I was able to see how to build programs the right way and I've coached with and learned from some of the best (Reid, Ernst, Dennis, Baird, Lehman and Murnan who is really like a little brother to me since he was a couple years behind me in HS when we were on the same team). So about 5 years ago I moved on to see if I could build something to be proud of at Winton Woods. Winton Woods only had 4 kids on the HS team when I arrived. Now we are at around 25- 30 kids on the team. We had a kid place 3rd at State last year and AA at Fargo. He is back to make a run at the the title. I am too invested in this Senior class and the boys at Winton Woods to leave now. Loyalty is something I believe strongly in.

:shrug::clap:

darthmalice 08-09-17 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x section qualifer (Post 6803669)
It is a great thing you and your staff are doing over there at winton woods, can't wait to see Beachem's run at state.
One question though, has winton woods ever had a state champ?

No. Always been a football and basketball driven school. Forest park last state placer was back in the early 80's, Bill Montgomery( 3rd); Greenhill last state placer was in the 70's. Never had the luxury of having trips to Columbus. The school would have Woody Hayes scout practices instead of Dan Gable. Wrestlers always looked like He-man action figures.

CuriousGeorge1 08-10-17 01:51 AM

Quote:

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Honestly, that is inspirational. We need another couple thousands of guys like you around the country for all the Winton Woods' type programs that are going under without someone coming in riding a white horse and saving the program. As a life long wrestling supporter, I would like to say, I appreciate your efforts very much and thank you for everything you are doing to help those young men (and women)!

wash.c.h.legend 08-10-17 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthmalice (Post 6803485)
Santa Claus.

Spoke with the fat bastard yesterday. He said the offer would be flattering, but he is just not interested in putting forth the amount of effort necessary to be a HC here in Ohio.
Too bad, he would bring many gifts to the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boro Fan 08-10-17 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wash.c.h.legend (Post 6803821)
Spoke with the fat bastard yesterday. He said the offer would be flattering, but he is just not interested in putting forth the amount of effort necessary to be a HC here in Ohio.
Too bad, he would bring many gifts to the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard the same. I heard it's due to his other full time job, I guess he's super busy in December or something ..

allwhiteeverything 08-10-17 05:26 AM

I believe they had one state champ I can be wrong but I thought Ian Ruth won state for winton woods I want to say like 1999 or 2000 somewhere around that time

darthmalice 08-10-17 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allwhiteeverything (Post 6803842)
I believe they had one state champ I can be wrong but I thought Ian Ruth won state for winton woods I want to say like 1999 or 2000 somewhere around that time

Ian finshed 3rd in 2001 as a senior; Fairfield's Mike Wayoff won state that year( both guys wrestled 145lbs). He was a football and track standout just like Robert Bouldin was back in the days. Beachem may bring us our first state champ.

CoachCoffey 08-10-17 09:59 AM

Winton Woods State Champ

I'm not sure about State Champs but this is the score from the 1999 state finals

189: Alexander Lammers, Huber Hts. Wayne dec. Matt Thompson, Cin. Winton Woods 9-5

Coach JDean 08-10-17 10:06 AM

I can confirm, Matt Thompson (who is a football coach at WW now) is the highest finisher in school history so they have never had a State Champ and Ian Ruth was the last State Placer (2001) until Beachem placed 3rd last year.

#Hashtag 08-10-17 10:12 AM

Why hire a guy who has been dismissed from multiple area high schools?

Bring back Murnan!

Go Green 08-10-17 10:14 AM

I would hope that they would tap into the long line of coaches we have had the last few years. Brennan Ryan comes to mind as the frontrunner. Murnan left last year for personal reasons.

Slammin Sammy 08-10-17 11:17 AM

Quote:

:clap::clap: very well said coach. One of my favorite yappi posts in a long time.

Slammin Sammy 08-10-17 11:21 AM

What about the other name everyone was throwing around for LaSalle, Rico Hill? Rico is an excellent guy, has a great personality that the kids at mason will love to wrestle for and he is a great wrestling mind. He would be a great fit.

Suplexer130 08-10-17 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammin Sammy (Post 6804053)
What about the other name everyone was throwing around for LaSalle, Rico Hill? Rico is an excellent guy, has a great personality that the kids at mason will love to wrestle for and he is a great wrestling mind. He would be a great fit.

I heard he was actually going to LaSalle as an assistant, but that may not be true.

Mucraider09 08-10-17 07:35 PM

Where did root go?

darthmalice 08-10-17 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mucraider09 (Post 6804332)
Where did root go?

Go to the Coach Zerkle steps down from LaSalle thread. This was some much needed fireworks to end the summer. Yappi was getting to quiet.

Crab Ride 08-10-17 09:25 PM

So what's the real deal behind Root leaving so soon after he got the job? Is Lasalle that much better of a job? According to other thread Root had been applying for other jobs before he got this one.

Metzger 08-11-17 12:17 PM

I heard he was going to be in trouble for some inappropriate singlets worn at an offseason tournament....

He went to polish rocks someplace else I guess, some can build and work hard- take the kids that have never wrestled and turn them into good wrestlers- some don't want that hard work- they like the glory with an already great product. With the long line of personal dealings since way back at prodigy on 122 it amazes me that he gets hired. I don't know he apparently is a good coach but has baggage from his past that schools/parents do not look into- its surprising. From his college wrestling days (never wrestling in psu or iu) to his dealings with prodigy (money spent) to the springboro fiasco with zerkle, his benefit fundraising, to hopping around to schools with only great wrestlers. I don't know ask Go Green or takedown 77 those are his alias's. read those comments its laughable.