Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   St. Vincent- St. Mary 2017 (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303733)

clarkgriswold 07-17-17 04:39 PM

St. Vincent- St. Mary 2017

The Irish come off of a regular season 6-4 record and seemed to spend most of last season searching for a QB. Looks like the sophomore Lindsey is in line to be the QB this season. What might we expect from the Irish?

Irish60 07-17-17 05:21 PM

They have the talent and the speed to be 9-1 or 8-2. But they have the youth and the schedule to be 6-4 again. There is no way to replace a defensive game changer like Sampson, but they have a lot of young talent that could fill the gap "by committee"... given time! The first game against Tri-Valley may shake out to be one of the most intriguing match-ups of Week One.

Bowtiethatguy 07-17-17 06:42 PM

WHo looks to be the starting running back this year? is it Keyes?

clarkgriswold 07-17-17 07:02 PM

Hopefully, Starstoshine will show up before long. He always had the scoop on SVSM.

Irish Football 07-17-17 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowtiethatguy (Post 6791652)
WHo looks to be the starting running back this year? is it Keyes?

Keyes will be the starting TB.

Bowtiethatguy 07-17-17 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Football (Post 6791668)
Keyes will be the starting TB.

I saw him during middle school and he dominated his 8th grade all star game but I didn't get to see him play last year so I had no idea how well he played

fbrox 07-17-17 09:24 PM

My question is when will SVSM officially change its name to The Lebron James Academy for Athletics? Seems to me LJAA has a great ring to it and it is basically what saved the school. Just get it over with and name it aftet the King.

Irish Football 07-18-17 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowtiethatguy (Post 6791734)
I saw him during middle school and he dominated his 8th grade all star game but I didn't get to see him play last year so I had no idea how well he played

He really played well on JV and looked good in his limited role on the varsity last year. He's going to be a good one!

bkmk1 07-18-17 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbrox (Post 6791745)
My question is when will SVSM officially change its name to The Lebron James Academy for Athletics? Seems to me LJAA has a great ring to it and it is basically what saved the school. Just get it over with and name it aftet the King.

Until he leaves the Cavs (again). This time for the Lakers or another potential hand picked super power team.

Irish60 07-18-17 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Football (Post 6791916)
He really played well on JV and looked good in his limited role on the varsity last year. He's going to be a good one!

I'd give him a grade of "Incomplete" for his time with the varsity last year. I thought they could have used him a little more often in games where the outcome wasn't always decided. Still, all reports I here of the young man are that he will be good one. He has a lot of speed!

Big09 07-19-17 05:25 AM

How did the 7 on 7 go with Copley?

Irish Football 07-19-17 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big09 (Post 6792499)
How did the 7 on 7 go with Copley?

The offense looked really good but at times the defense looked a little shaky. When you're replacing both corners and the whole corp of Lbs there are going to be some growing pains. The good thing is the defensive coaching staff is good and they will have them ready when the season kicks off.

The sophomore QB has thrown the ball really well in both 7on7's and the junior threw the ball good against Copley. I know Copley is down but they didn't offer much resistance against the offense. The young sophomore skill group is going to be special and look for them to really make a difference this year.

Irish60 07-19-17 09:58 AM

Who are the WR's that will be getting most of the reps?

StarstoShine 07-19-17 12:50 PM

Wr's Leonard Younger, Jalen Ross,Scott Walters, Garrett Bischoff, Myron Tibbs, Zack Olsen, Jack Mullen, John Jackson, Russell Cooper bring plenty of depth at WR. QB Luke Lindsey (6-2 210 Soph) looks very good and 6-3 185 Junior) Ryan Fischer can Sling it. Sophomore RB's Terrance Keys, Markel Cook and Junior Anthony Johnson can fly. Irish are very young but talented.

Irish60 07-19-17 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarstoShine (Post 6792747)
Wr's Leonard Younger, Jalen Ross,Scott Walters, Garrett Bischoff, Myron Tibbs, Zack Olsen, Jack Mullen, John Jackson, Russell Cooper bring plenty of depth at WR. QB Luke Lindsey (6-2 210 Soph) looks very good and 6-3 185 Junior) Ryan Fischer can Sling it. Sophomore RB's Terrance Keys, Markel Cook and Junior Anthony Johnson can fly. Irish are very young but talented.

I don't know much about the returning defense. I know they will have speed, but is there any size to go with it? They don't have that one player to step into Sampson's spot, but will it be a "strength in numbers" kind of thing; at least until some of the underclassmen grow into their positions?

clarkgriswold 07-21-17 06:48 PM

SVSM schedule:
8/24 @ Dresden Tri-Valley
9/1 @ Walsh Jesuit
9/9 @ Buchtel
9/15 vs. Cardinal Mooney
9/22 @ Archbishop Hoban (InfoCision)
9/29 vs. Akron North
10/6 @ Barberton
10/13 vs. LaSalle
10/20 @ Massillon Washington
10/27 vs. Ursuline

I see 8-2 or 7-3 coming out of that schedule.

buckeye53 07-22-17 10:36 PM

Once the guys got some minutes in the 1st half of last season, boy did they close with a bang. I think they'll be consistently good all year 9-1, but hoping for 10-0. Go Irish !!!

Cougarfan22 07-23-17 07:40 AM

I heard that 2 St V players have transferred back to Ravenna? Any truth to that? Both players were on varsity last year and played in the Hoban game.

Big09 07-23-17 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 (Post 6794625)
I heard that 2 St V players have transferred back to Ravenna? Any truth to that? Both players were on varsity last year and played in the Hoban game.

Not sure about any specific players leaving, but as you know with all schools- Private or Public with open enrollment- if the player is not promised to be the STAR then the parents and player start looking for the next option. A lot of players come and go when they realize they have to compete to earn time. TEAM goals do not match their "me first" attitude so they go somewhere else where they are given a spot without having to compete for it. Players often forget that when the team succeeds, they succeed- and the individual honors will then follow.

Irish Football 07-23-17 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 (Post 6794625)

Two players have transferred back to Ravenna one this year and the other after football season last year.

ArmChairCoach 07-23-17 02:40 PM

Meh. I disagree. StV you'd get way better coaching and better competition in practice than playing any PTC team IMO. Plus life after football I feel like StV would set them up better long term. But hey everyone has their own opinion and that's mine.

clarkgriswold 07-23-17 04:04 PM

Wow, with all of the kids going back to Ravenna, they should be pretty good!

hoban2020 07-23-17 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big09 (Post 6794658)
Not sure about any specific players leaving, but as you know with all schools- Private or Public with open enrollment- if the player is not promised to be the STAR then the parents and player start looking for the next option. A lot of players come and go when they realize they have to compete to earn time. TEAM goals do not match their "me first" attitude so they go somewhere else where they are given a spot without having to compete for it. Players often forget that when the team succeeds, they succeed- and the individual honors will then follow.

Are you referencing high football or the Cleveland Cavaliers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irish60 07-23-17 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DB 04 (Post 6794751)
https://scarletandgame.com/2015/08/2...ome-to-parris/

Nice article on Parris..what a freak he was in HS!

STVM should be sharing this link on social media. They lack in their marketing if and need to up their game on that aspect.

He was the fastest HS football player I personally have ever seen. He would simply outrun DBs who had the angle on him. And while he made the lion's share of his yards on outside jet sweeps, for a slightly built young man, he ran surprising well between the tackles. Some track athletes play football, but Parris was (and is) a football player.

Irish60 07-23-17 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big09 (Post 6794658)

I understand your point, but you seem to be intmating that this is why the two players left; which is a little unfair. If kids want to come to STVM, then great. And if they decide they want to go elsewhere, then best wishes and good luck to them.

Big09 07-24-17 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish60 (Post 6794806)
I understand your point, but you seem to be intmating that this is why the two players left; which is a little unfair. If kids want to come to STVM, then great. And if they decide they want to go elsewhere, then best wishes and good luck to them.

Not at all, I know nothing about the players who left. Just my opinion on why I think most kids leave.

hoban2020 07-24-17 05:52 AM

St. Vincent- St. Mary 2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by DB 04 (Post 6794836)
Well, STVM won't slap kids with huge bills and refuse to send the transcripts if they can't meet the bill like Hoban did to one of the Ravenna players. There's some great Holy Cross values over there at Hoban!

Without getting into specifics, when someone chooses to buy a product (in this case, a private school education), and then doesn't pay for it - what do you expect the provider of such product to do?

As someone who's paid Hoban on the 5th and 20th of the month for going on 6 years, I'm all for the school collecting what is rightly due them. If you think SVSM wouldn't do that, I say you're wrong - because if word gets out that one can buy a product, then not pay for it you've got problems in the business office.

hoban2020 07-24-17 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DB 04 (Post 6794908)
Don't promise somone something when it's not there.

Like a payment in exchange for a Private school education?

clarkgriswold 07-24-17 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DB 04 (Post 6794836)
Well, STVM won't slap kids with huge bills and refuse to send the transcripts if they can't meet the bill like Hoban did to one of the Ravenna players. There's some great Holy Cross values over there at Hoban!

Glad to see the Hoban sewage pollute yet another thread. :wallbang:

clarkgriswold 07-24-17 08:07 AM

Already poisoned this one, a completely unrelated thread.