Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Taboo (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299332)

Michael Bluth 01-30-17 03:16 PM

Taboo

Anyone else watching this?

Just binged on the first three episodes yesterday and am hooked. It's a BBC show based in London written by and starring Tom Hardy, but playing Tuesday nights on FX

Jhubbs77 01-30-17 03:51 PM

Have them taped but haven't started yet. The Young Pope is occupying too much time with 2 episodes a week

Michael Bluth 01-31-17 12:35 PM

Ep 4 tonight. Guessing a lot of people will find it too slow-moving or high in dialogue for their tastes. Certainly has some flaws, but Hardy is killing it as the Delaney character and the show does a good job of creating a mysterious atmosphere that has me intrigued

Descartes 01-31-17 02:08 PM

I like it, but how do they get away with dropping so many F bombs? I use the close captioning to help better understand the dialogue, at times it sounds like the actors are speaking gibberish.

lotr10 01-31-17 03:11 PM

I like the show a lot. It's one of the best new series I've seen this year along with the Young Pope. But my goodness it's one of the most dour, dark, dank and dispiriting things I've seen on TV in a while. Full of repulsive characters up to unimaginably evil things. But Hardy is a hoot and it's portrayal of 19th century England rings true. Downton Abby it isn't.

lotr10 01-31-17 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhubbs77 (Post 6688698)
Have them taped but haven't started yet. The Young Pope is occupying too much time with 2 episodes a week

I almost started a thread on the Young Pope. I don't know why I like it so much but I do. Jude Law should win the Emmy IMO and I'm curious as to what practicing Catholics think about it.

The reproduction of the Vatican interiors is stunning as to the detail (I'm assuming they didn't get permission to film inside Saint Peters!).

arizonawildcat 01-31-17 03:22 PM

As someone who considers himself to be a pretty strict Catholic, the only thing that has really bothered so far was the scene on the roof when the pope "forced" the priest to divulge what the Cardinals had confessed. That is a strict no-no in the Church.

lotr10 01-31-17 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat (Post 6689601)
As someone who considers himself to be a pretty strict Catholic, the only thing that has really bothered so far was the scene on the roof when the pope "forced" the priest to divulge what the Cardinals had confessed. That is a strict no-no in the Church.

I was surprised at the turn the series has taken. Not to reveal (warning minor spoiler) to much but I assumed that the "young Pope" would be an ultra liberal progressive type not a man who wants to return to a more orthodox view of the religion. Maybe that's why I like it so much - it has a lot of unexpected moments.

Michael Bluth 02-10-17 09:56 AM

This show has admittedly begun to get repetitive, but I will continue watching. It's certainly got more style than substance

MentorGrad2002 02-10-17 06:05 PM

I'm about out on it. It's way too boring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk