Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boys Track & Field/Cross Country (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Big Ten Mile - Saturday at Spire (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311024)

KevinL 02-23-18 02:56 PM

Big Ten Mile - Saturday at Spire
 
The Big Ten mens mile final on Saturday at Spire will feature 3 native Ohioans, Kyle Mau (Hudson / Indiana), Luke Landis (Norwalk / OSU) and Kevin Blank (Solon / OSU).

Mau went roughly 2:22/1:53 to win his heat in 4:15. Mau is also entered in the 3K (today).

Rohbino 02-23-18 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinL (Post 6993975)

Mau went roughly 2:22/1:53 to win his heat in 4:15. Mau is also entered in the 3K (today).

Mau is an ironman!

Here is a link to the results

Rohbino 02-24-18 10:58 AM

Mau is also entered in the 5000 today. We'll see if runs or scratches after running a mile heat and 3000 final yesterday and a mile final today. Mau was 5th in the 3000 final in 8:15.88. His best on the season is 7:50.85.

gatornation 02-24-18 12:31 PM

No OSU guys in the 3000 and 5000, and no girls in the 3000?? How can they not field a full team of distance runners?

madman 02-24-18 04:31 PM

As frustrating as it might be for fans of distance running, the Ohio State men;s team is currently one event away from winning the Big Ten title indoors without much of a distance program. They have found what works and it just isn't what many of us like.

mathking 02-24-18 07:08 PM

The Buckeyes won the Big Ten indoor title. Congrats Buckeyes. The women were third place.

mathking 02-24-18 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madman (Post 6994764)
As frustrating as it might be for fans of distance running, the Ohio State men;s team is currently one event away from winning the Big Ten title indoors without much of a distance program. They have found what works and it just isn't what many of us like.

The men did score in the 800 (Lomong, 4th) and the mile (Landis, 6th). It is frustrating if you are a distance coach and want "your" team to be good at those events. But as you say madman, they won. And with points in a lot of different events. I think only four event wins total.

KevinL 02-25-18 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathking (Post 6994848)
The men did score in the 800 (Lomong, 4th) and the mile (Landis, 6th). It is frustrating if you are a distance coach and want "your" team to be good at those events. But as you say madman, they won. And with points in a lot of different events. I think only four event wins total.

And the Distance Medley Relay (also 4th with both Lomong & Landis along with Paul Bete and a 400 guy).

Lancermania 02-25-18 03:19 PM

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/...-big-ten-title

EuclidandViren 02-25-18 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathking (Post 6994844)
The Buckeyes won the Big Ten indoor title. Congrats Buckeyes. The women were third place.

I admit I was 100% OSU basher. I was 100% wrong. Congrats to OSU. They have found the formula to beat the BIG10.

ccrunner609 02-26-18 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatornation (Post 6994618)
No OSU guys in the 3000 and 5000, and no girls in the 3000?? How can they not field a full team of distance runners?

agreed. Seems like we race these kids alot in HS and they dont race at all in college. Most HS kids dont learn to race in HS. I would think that college coaches would do a little more racing to teach them.

EuclidandViren 02-26-18 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccrunner609 (Post 6995578)
agreed. Seems like we race these kids alot in HS and they dont race at all in college. Most HS kids dont learn to race in HS. I would think that college coaches would do a little more racing to teach them.

A lot of questions about this situation.

Does the BIG10 have indoor entry requirements for individual events? Or do they have a roster limit. I know some conferences allow anyone to race if you hit the mark. Other conferences say you can run 35 kids and put in them in any event you want. So you could have 7 kids in the 60 but none in the 5000. I like both ideas. And wished we could use them in high school track.

Could the kids have come close to placing? 3000/5000- if you aren't going to be in the top 10-15-- they could be in over their heads.

Another point--if they in over their heads--they could get lapped. That is never fun.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.