Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boys Track & Field/Cross Country (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   College Commitments (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306567)

xcrunner69 10-09-17 09:57 AM

College Commitments

Although you can find out where High School runners will be competing at in College through websites such as Twitter or Milesplit, I think it will also be beneficial having a thread listing where Ohio's top runners will be attending. So as more runners start announcing where they will continue their careers at, reply down below. Thanks!!

claynation 10-09-17 10:36 AM

VERBAL COMMITS:
Matt Scrape: Syracuse
Chad Johnson: Iowa State
Anthony Camerieri: Miami (OH)
Nathan Cousino: Pittsburgh
Nick Miller: Ohio State
Gabe Szalay: Kentucky

UNDECIDED:
Dustin Horter: Supposedly was between Michigan and Indiana but he visited Stanford over the weekend and the Cardinal are definitely in the running. I don't have much inside info on this one.

Arjun Jha: The expectation is that he will go to Michigan. Indiana also in the mix.

Zach Kreft: ?

Lucas Bons: ? (I certainly hope he doesn't end up at OSU!)

Nate Kawalec: ?

Andy Payne: ?

Rohbino 10-09-17 10:51 AM

I've heard that Iowa State and Northern Arizona are also in the mix for Horter.

LoveCrossCountry 10-09-17 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohbino (Post 6864316)
I've heard that Iowa State and Northern Arizona are also in the mix for Horter.

Andy Payne has verbally committed to Eastern Michigan.

Rohbino 10-09-17 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveCrossCountry (Post 6864321)
Andy Payne has verbally committed to Eastern Michigan.

I could be mistaken but I believe EMU gives in-state tuition to Ohioans.

LoveCrossCountry 10-09-17 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohbino (Post 6864329)
I could be mistaken but I believe EMU gives in-state tuition to Ohioans.

They do. In fact, they have recently extended that to all states.

KevinL 10-09-17 12:49 PM

Beachwood's Leah Roter has committed to Fuhrman.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...mits-to-furman

claynation 10-13-17 05:58 AM

Arjun Jha has committed to Indiana.

EuclidandViren 10-13-17 06:30 AM

If Ohio State wanted to be good and actually tried to be good...

you would think they would actually sign some of the top Ohio athletes?

claynation 10-13-17 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EuclidandViren (Post 6868647)
If Ohio State wanted to be good and actually tried to be good...

you would think they would actually sign some of the top Ohio athletes?

OSU actually signed Ohio HS runners quite successfully until about 2014 or 2015. However, they have an abysmal track record of developing distance talent so the top runners in the state are rightly looking elsewhere.

Seriously, the no. 1 piece of advice people seem to give to HS distance runners in Ohio is "don't go to Ohio State."

There is no hope for OSU's men's XC/distance program as long as Karen Dennis is calling the shots.

SOTT 10-13-17 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claynation (Post 6868662)
There is no hope for OSU's men's XC/distance program as long as Karen Dennis is calling the shots.

Agreed.

Rohbino 10-13-17 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claynation (Post 6868636)
Arjun Jha has committed to Indiana.

The Hoosiers have a nice squad and Jha is a good addition. I really Like Carmel's Ben Veatch and Hudon's Kyle Mau. They'll be a B1G contender in the foreseeable future and should place well nationally. Great school as well.

LoveCrossCountry 10-13-17 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohbino (Post 6868944)
The Hoosiers have a nice squad and Jha is a good addition. I really Like Carmel's Ben Veatch and Hudon's Kyle Mau. They'll be a B1G contender in the foreseeable future and should place well nationally. Great school as well.

Arjun Jha would be a great addition to any school. I don't think everyone realizes how good he is. He split 1:50 in that 4x800 last year at the state meet, and he has range from there all the way up to 5k, and I'm sure he will do well at 8k and 10k in college too. Indiana will be able to put him where they need him in track; amazing versatility. He is also very smart and a great kid on top of all that. Indiana hit a home run getting him.

runningrocks 10-13-17 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveCrossCountry (Post 6869100)
Arjun Jha would be a great addition to any school. I don't think everyone realizes how good he is. He split 1:50 in that 4x800 last year at the state meet, and he has range from there all the way up to 5k, and I'm sure he will do well at 8k and 10k in college too. Indiana will be able to put him where they need him in track; amazing versatility. He is also very smart and a great kid on top of all that. Indiana hit a home run getting him.

Absolutely agree

"David Thorne" 10-17-17 08:27 AM

Indiana U has been cleaning up in Ohio lately!!! Nick Lane, Kyle Mau and Natalie Price recently and now Arjun Jha. The top long jumper in Oh from Springfield HS has an official visit soon(and likes IU)...what is it about IU that makes Oh kids go there???

madman 10-17-17 10:00 PM

IU is relatively close by. It has a beautiful campus. The TF&CC program has a rich history of excellence in distance running.

OSU? It's close by.

LoveCrossCountry 10-18-17 03:04 PM

Jackson Siddall - Eastern Kentucky
Claire Steigerwald - University of Toledo
McKenzie Long - NC State

"David Thorne" 10-19-17 06:51 AM

Austin Goolsby/Hillsboro-UC
Mia Knight/Beechwood-Penn
Crockett Schooler/Pick. Central-Pitt
Annie Zimmer/Chagrin Falls-Penn

Congratulations to these young women and men

Rohbino 10-22-17 06:55 PM

Zach Kreft - Notre Dame

wolsey737 10-27-17 01:38 PM

Dustin Horter - Indiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CincyIllinifan 11-22-17 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolsey737 (Post 6886448)
Dustin Horter - Indiana

Wow - nice haul for the Hoosiers. Makes me wonder why my Illini canít secure some of this OH talent.

PCTigerTrackCoach 11-22-17 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claynation (Post 6868662)
OSU actually signed Ohio HS runners quite successfully until about 2014 or 2015. However, they have an abysmal track record of developing distance talent so the top runners in the state are rightly looking elsewhere.

Seriously, the no. 1 piece of advice people seem to give to HS distance runners in Ohio is "don't go to Ohio State."

Karen just hired Khadevis Robinson and I think he's going to turn things around at Ohio State..... They're going to have to get a top area kid, develop them and show everyone that their XC program can be competitive with the other schools.

gatornation 11-23-17 06:35 AM

They already tried Robinson once, and he left after a year. He is great with mid distance, specifically his specialty, the 800, but not good for the longer distance.

PCTigerTrackCoach 11-23-17 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatornation (Post 6921789)
They already tried Robinson once, and he left after a year. He is great with mid distance, specifically his specialty, the 800, but not good for the longer distance.

He left for more money tho, not because he wasn't doing well... I don't know very many people who'd chose Osu over LSU for track.... But time will tell. I'm a huge Ohio State fan but I do believe something needs to be changed with the program

CC Track Fan 11-23-17 01:20 PM

I heard Brendan Siefker from Ottoville maybe going to run for OSU. My guess he will not get any scholarship money but is the type of runner that is a good get for them.

Coming from small school that didn't even have teammate that he could run with him on easy days he could easily drop a lot of time with good coaching and teammates to train with. He could be a good test for the new coaching staff to see how well they develop runners.

psycho_dad 11-27-17 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCTigerTrackCoach (Post 6921730)
Karen just hired Khadevis Robinson and I think he's going to turn things around at Ohio State..... They're going to have to get a top area kid, develop them and show everyone that their XC program can be competitive with the other schools.

I know it's beating a dead horse, but OSU has many years before they can do anything with the distance program. They need coaches doing it for the love of the sport and not money, or the next job. Just thinking of a place like NC State. They have coaches that have been there 37 years, 25 years, 15 years and support staff that's been there over a decade as well. No one is looking to go anywhere else to get out from under the shadow of the head coach. They bide their time, have spouses that have good jobs and it's all about NC State and distance running. They even have track and field coaches that have been there 29 years and 16 years etc... OSU needs to take some "B" and "C" level runners and have them improve before they get anymore "A" runners and ruin them. You only live once and you are wasting your talent at OSU if you are a top level runner with national success as a goal. Just like any distance training, it's a long slow process with focus, dedication and discipline required.

runner12345 11-27-17 09:08 PM

Zac Robinson, Sam Janson-Akron

fishelectric 11-27-17 10:48 PM

Grace Rigel (thrower) to Miami (OH)

TrackFan2 11-29-17 02:06 PM

Hope Purcell--Indiana

Wadz06 11-30-17 09:18 AM

Hailey Montgomery, Wadsworth (Thrower) headed to Ivy League Columbia