Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   OSU 2017 Thread (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298493)

WinstonSmith 01-03-17 11:11 AM

OSU 2017 Thread

Kevin Wilson has been hired as new OC. Tim Beck is off to Texas.

Auggie 01-03-17 11:53 AM

My guess is drama will continue as Kevin Wilson is known to be a strong OL coach and tough SOB that likes thing done his way. Where does that put Warriner? Greg Studrawa? What will Ryan Day's role be? And Meyer has a background as an offensive coach so what will he be doing? Sounds like the UN brewing with multiple agendas that don't always align on that side of the ball.

FormerWildcat 01-03-17 11:56 AM

That didn't take long. If nothing else, at least Urban has been decisive.

http://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-stat...n-day-buckeyes

lotr10 01-03-17 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinstonSmith (Post 6667073)
Kevin Wilson has been hired as new OC. Tim Beck is off to Texas.

Wow that was fast. Now he needs to publicly open up the QB competition.

Still a loss like the one suffered on New Years Eve should result in decisive changes at the point of the problem, and offense was a problem.

Anyone have information on the new QB coach other than he coached Colin Kaspernack (which may or may not be a good sign)?

WinstonSmith 01-03-17 12:23 PM

I like the Wilson hiring. He was turning IU into a very tough W and their passing offense had been pretty good under Wilson.

irish_buffalo 01-03-17 12:54 PM

Kevin Wilson is a great offensive mind. While at OU they were lethal. And I think he is good enough to play to Barrett's strengths.

So the offense returns close to everyone.

On defense Hooker has announced he will be leaving. Who else? McMillen? Conley? Lattimore?

Regardless with the Dlinemen returning OSU defense should be very solid.

Jim Lahey 01-03-17 01:27 PM

Lewis, McMillan, Conley, Lattimore, Hooker are gone for sure on the defensive side.

WinstonSmith 01-03-17 01:55 PM

Conley has officially declared. Good for him.

brian1227 01-03-17 04:05 PM

Don't fear Denzel starting

clarkgriswold 01-03-17 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1227 (Post 6667309)
Don't fear Denzel starting

He needs to become much more physical. He has the speed to run with anyone but his lack of size and strength can result in him getting manhandled on contested balls.

WinstonSmith 01-03-17 05:52 PM

Yeah, the secondary is going to need young guys to step up. Wouldn't be shocked if true freshman Shaun Wade vies for a starting spot. Likewise if Okudah commits.

cabezadecaballo 01-03-17 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold (Post 6667390)
He needs to become much more physical. He has the speed to run with anyone but his lack of size and strength can result in him getting manhandled on contested balls.

His game in high school basically consisted of playing off and then jumping balls with QBs under-estimating his superior quickness. It got to the point where QBs would avoid him. Now that everyone is bigger and most are almost as fast and just as quick, his game has to evolve. As you say, he has to get meaner and a little thicker.

Michael Bluth 01-03-17 11:06 PM

Great day to be a Buckeye! Kevin Wilson is a home run hire. Excited for next season all over again. Can't wait to see the offense improve.

Hopefully Warriner back to o-line

Jim Lahey 01-04-17 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bluth (Post 6667652)
Great day to be a Buckeye! Kevin Wilson is a home run hire. Excited for next season all over again. Can't wait to see the offense improve.

I like what I've read about Day so far too.

cabezadecaballo 01-04-17 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bluth (Post 6667652)

It is amazing that Meyer can get a guy to step down from a HC position, where he was succeeding relative to his predecessors, to be a coordinator. This isn't like Kiffin failing and skulking in to 'Bama. Did it look like Indiana kind of peaked this past year ?

I wonder how long he stays....

cabezadecaballo 01-04-17 09:11 AM

I know.....my bad....

irish_buffalo 01-04-17 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo (Post 6667816)
It is amazing that Meyer can get a guy to step down from a HC position, where he was succeeding relative to his predecessors, to be a coordinator. This isn't like Kiffin failing and skulking in to 'Bama. Did it look like Indiana kind of peaked this past year ?

Great points. Meyer and Saban keep playing the one upper game of amazement.

I remember my kid getting recruited by IU and when we went there to visit it was ALL about Kevin Wilson's offense. He had literature all about his offense from OU which I thought was a bit odd but typical OC, all about HIS offense.

As to how long he stays? He is an egotistical guy which goes both ways. He will want to prove he can do better than what he did at IU yet at the same time OC's sometimes like to just run the offense and no longer have to worry so much about the press and all of the things a HC has to think about.

Meyer has always brought in young upcoming OC's that he has molded to his philosophy. This will not be the case with Wilson, who is less of a jet sweep/zone read guy, although he has it in his arsenal. As soon as I heard he was hired I thought wow, great for Joe Burrow, who is a prototype for a Kevin Wilson offense.

I believe Feline AIDs is the number 1 killer of domestic cats.

WinstonSmith 01-04-17 09:29 AM

cabe, Wilson was fired because of accusations that he overworked players/played injured guys. That's why he wasn't really considered for any HC spot this year as well.

cabezadecaballo 01-04-17 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinstonSmith (Post 6667843)
cabe, Wilson was fired because of accusations that he overworked players/played injured guys. That's why he wasn't really considered for any HC spot this year as well.

Thanks - I did not know that.

I hope that his rep has a nice rehab stint at tOSU.

cabezadecaballo 01-04-17 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish_buffalo (Post 6667836)
Great points. Meyer and Saban keep playing the one upper game of amazement.

I remember my kid getting recruited by IU and when we went there to visit it was ALL about Kevin Wilson's offense. He had literature all about his offense from OU which I thought was a bit odd but typical OC, all about HIS offense.

As to how long he stays? He is an egotistical guy which goes both ways. He will want to prove he can do better than what he did at IU yet at the same time OC's sometimes like to just run the offense and no longer have to worry so much about the press and all of the things a HC has to think about.

Meyer has always brought in young upcoming OC's that he has molded to his philosophy. This will not be the case with Wilson, who is less of a jet sweep/zone read guy, although he has it in his arsenal. As soon as I heard he was hired I thought wow, great for Joe Burrow, who is a prototype for a Kevin Wilson offense.

I believe Feline AIDs is the number 1 killer of domestic cats.

see: Garrett's post - https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4182241AAztLHg

irish_buffalo 01-04-17 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo (Post 6667876)

LOL, please tell me you didn't stumble across that?

cabezadecaballo 01-04-17 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish_buffalo (Post 6667913)
LOL, please tell me you didn't stumble across that?

I copied and searched your final sentence. Google parsed it into the excerpts of the results :laugh:

nutsnbolts 01-04-17 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo (Post 6667816)

I'm not a UK basketball fan. But - they do well with the one-and-done players.
(Don' really like the rule either.)
I'd rather have a great one for a year (player or coach) - and reload with another great one if needed than not to have a great one.

And you never know - if it works out well next year maybe Meyer will put a bug in his ear about taking over as HC in a few years. And - it still gives tOSU an opportunity to hire who they want when Meyer does retire.

Jim Lahey 01-04-17 04:25 PM

JT Barrett announces he is returning next year.

irish_buffalo 01-04-17 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo (Post 6667918)
I copied and searched your final sentence. Google parsed it into the excerpts of the results :laugh:

It was a Debbie Downer line. Waaa Waaa.

I'm just glad to know God created all forms of AIDs to punish homosexuals. ;)

Michael Bluth 01-04-17 07:00 PM

God damnit. I have to watch Barrett play QB for another year.

Please play the best QB, Urban

WinstonSmith 01-04-17 07:31 PM

We can only hope.

Michael Bluth 01-04-17 08:24 PM

Anti-boom if there ever was one

19AL63 01-04-17 09:02 PM

I hope JT is getting a good education with a degree he can earn a good living, because he will not be making his living being a QB in the NFL.

WinstonSmith 01-04-17 09:06 PM

Nope, not even as a 2nd or 3rd stringer IMO.