Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   National Football Board (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   10 Biggest High School Football Stadiums in Georgia (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282470)

FormerWildcat 09-17-15 10:50 AM

10 Biggest High School Football Stadiums in Georgia
 
I got this from a friend of mine in Atlanta.

http://www.wideopencountry.com/10-bi...diums-georgia/

BigWorm 02-12-16 10:11 AM

Those stadiums look weak I am glad Ohio's stadiums are so much better

CoachD31 02-28-16 03:02 PM

Not bad

DOWNTOWN PANTHER 03-14-16 10:02 PM

I am partial to Ohio obviously, but I love my Georgia!

Sykotyk 03-15-16 11:03 PM

I've been through Georgia extensively (been to every Georgia county) and seen some very run down stadiums in the south. But, they do have some historical charm to them and the communities they're in.

SLCDad 07-20-16 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigWorm (Post 6406061)
Those stadiums look weak I am glad Ohio's stadiums are so much better

To be honest . . . these are all 2nd rate compared to Texas high school stadiums. No other state is even close to Texas.

Here a a few. Honestly, I could show dozens more.

Allen Eagle Stadium (serves 6,400 student Allen HS)
http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2...rs/teaser1.jpg

Berry Center (serves 6 high schools in Cypress, Texas)
http://www.berrycenter.net/about/img/stadium/s01.png

Southlake Carroll Dragon Stadium (My home stadium)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_To3px9dNZC...0/IMG_0036.JPG

McKinney Stadium ($61 million recently approved by voters)
https://usathss.files.wordpress.com/...pg?w=630&h=355

Grande Communications Stadium (West Texas)
http://cache.images.core.optasports....0x450/4756.jpg

New $61 million stadium in Katy (Being built next to current stadium. Two stadiums serve 7 high schools.)
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/40/10/32.../4/920x920.jpg

Frank Underwood 07-20-16 12:00 PM

Who was that Texas school that wasted like $50 million on a stadium and couldn't even get the foundation right? Who throws $50 million and can't even hire a company to get the most basic part of the stadium down?

SLCDad 07-20-16 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Underwood (Post 6495650)
Who was that Texas school that wasted like $50 million on a stadium and couldn't even get the foundation right? Who throws $50 million and can't even hire a company to get the most basic part of the stadium down?

Your statement is bit clueless IMHO.

The stadium that you refer to is Allen Eagle Stadium (the first picture that I posted). It is the finest HS stadium in the world. It cost $60+ million to build 5 years ago. Both the architect and the contractor had built many other stadiums. There was an issue with concrete cracking in some parts of the stadium. It has been completely fixed and the cost was covered 100% by the architect and contractor with no cost to the school.

Frank Underwood 07-20-16 02:44 PM

No, it's not a bit clueless. They spent $62 million+ (much more than my memory of $50m) and couldn't even hire a competent guy. People's lives were at stake.

SLCDad 07-20-16 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Underwood (Post 6495735)
No, it's not a bit clueless. They spent $62 million+ (much more than my memory of $50m) and couldn't even hire a competent guy. People's lives were at stake.

Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about. PBK is a very large architectural firm that designed the stadium. They have designed hundreds of facilities including stadiums, arenas, schools, etc.

The Allen stadium is incredible. It is used by one high school. It's a palace. Here are more pictures.

http://www.pbk.com/#!/projects/allen-eagle-stadium/

Frank Underwood 07-20-16 05:21 PM

So they didn't have to close down the stadium?

Sykotyk 07-29-16 11:44 PM

Only for the one year when repairs were made. The problem wasn't the design or the construction. It was the quality of the concrete used wasn't what was needed for such a job. It cured in a way to form sizable cracks that weren't deemed safe.

Frank Underwood 08-01-16 08:59 AM

Great, glad we cleared that up and there was in fact a stadium built for $62+ million, was a risk to people's lives and health and had to be shut down.

texasbob 08-20-16 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCDad (Post 6495708)
Your statement is bit clueless IMHO.

The stadium that you refer to is Allen Eagle Stadium (the first picture that I posted). It is the finest HS stadium in the world. It cost $60+ million to build 5 years ago. Both the architect and the contractor had built many other stadiums. There was an issue with concrete cracking in some parts of the stadium. It has been completely fixed and the cost was covered 100% by the architect and contractor with no cost to the school.

Tell 'em SLCDad :cool:

Frank Underwood 08-21-16 12:31 PM

Now it's going to cost a total of $70 million, an additional $10 million in construction to fix mistakes. Sounds like a huge success.

pied 08-22-16 05:33 PM

Here's a secret that many Texans don't want to get out. Yes, there are some beautiful stadiums in the state. I think it is getting extraordinarily silly at this point and there's a lot of discussion around this, but one thing is that I'd say ~50% of the 6A stadiums are less than 50% full. Certainly there are some big crowds at SLC/Allen and many others, but getting tickets and finding seats at the vast majority of games is quite easy.

texasbob 08-22-16 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pied (Post 6516655)
Here's a secret that many Texans don't want to get out. Yes, there are some beautiful stadiums in the state. I think it is getting extraordinarily silly at this point and there's a lot of discussion around this, but one thing is that I'd say ~50% of the 6A stadiums are less than 50% full. Certainly there are some big crowds at SLC/Allen and many others, but getting tickets and finding seats at the vast majority of games is quite easy.

I don't disagree with some of your points but I can only speak to my school district. Seven teams, one stadium, stadium capacity 9800. There usually 2 sellouts during the regular season. One school brings 5000 fans to every regular season game. It is the oldest school in the district. The newest school, this will be there second season, has the smallest crowds. The other 5 schools very from about 2000 to 3000 fans at a game so that means the stadium is on average 60 to 90% full.

As for the big cost of Texas Stadiums. I would have to write a book to explain the way Texas schools are financed. One thing I tell you is stadiums are paid for by with property taxes collected with in the district and bond elections are held and voted on by the tax payers in the district. Bonds are used to build schools and if needed stadiums. Texas is growing and new schools open every year all over the state.

Something else different about Texas Athletics, if you are in a sport, it is a class during your day. All coaches are required to be certified teachers and most teach some academic classes and coach their sport.

There is a book by Grey Levi called "Big and Bright in Texas". He was a coach for 25 years and spent a football season in Texas with a different team each week. (All sizes) He writes about the differences between Texas and most others states. I learned a lot from his book. I recommend it for anyone who likes football.

Texas High School football plays by slightly modified NCAA rules. Most states don't do this.

That is enough to chew on for now.:)

Frank Underwood 08-22-16 08:23 PM

9800 seats for 7 schools and only 2 sellouts in the regular season? Jesus I thought Texas was something special with high school football. Between that and pied's post, sounds like it's a massive downgrade (with 10x the cost).

texasbob 08-22-16 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Underwood (Post 6516848)
9800 seats for 7 schools and only 2 sellouts in the regular season? Jesus I thought Texas was something special with high school football. Between that and pied's post, sounds like it's a massive downgrade (with 10x the cost).

...and those who can't get into those two sellouts are first in line to vote for a bigger stadium.:confused:

texasbob 08-22-16 08:39 PM

The average Texas High School football stadium holds 3500 fans.

Only 9 Texas High School football stadiums hold more than 16,500.

There are 1101 Texas High School football stadiums.

So .817% of all Texas High School football stadium have more than 16,500.

Frank Underwood 08-22-16 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbob (Post 6516857)
...and those who can't get into those two sellouts are first in line to vote for a bigger stadium.:confused:

Why are you confused? That's how it is with anything. Can't get something? Demand more. It's economics, supply and demand.

texasbob 08-22-16 10:48 PM

"From the outside it is hard to understand and from the inside it is hard to explain."

Frank Underwood 08-23-16 07:41 AM

So you don't know what you're saying, it's okay. Texas Football just isn't as cracked up as it's made to be.

pied 08-23-16 08:06 AM

I think everything is exaggerated a bit by people here in Texas and the story just kind of grows from there. ZTHere are a TON of places that are still "last one out of town shut out the lights" type places for road games. There are places like Southlake, Argyle, and several others that bring great home crowds every game for sure and those are the ones you hear of.

High school stadium funding is as described above, but in my experience almost always attached to some other items, like new schools/libraries/needed updates/etc. Had dinner with a School Administrator the other night. Certainly he is a bit more on the "build" discussion than I tend to be, but we talked about how the Allen facility has a wrestling gym/workout area underground. They are the seven time defending state champion? Needed? hard to say, but certainly used.

Here's another example in the town/s where I live. There was one school, Lewisville for years with a nice, not super stadium on campus for years. Guessing ~9500 seats and great crowds. Another school was built in ~88 (Flower Mound Marcus) and they shared the stadium. At the height of the rivalry when both teams were tops in the state they had to move the game to Texas Stadium or a local University. The arrangement worked great, they just alternated home games and each team got to use it ~50% of the time.

Marcus had a smaller stadium, one sided ~ 2500 or so I'd guess that they used for JV games, soccer, and track.

Towards the end of the 90's a third HS (Flower Mound HS)was built in the area and a stadium, almost identical to the one at Lewisville. All schools are less than 4.5 miles apart. They could have moved Marcus to play home games at the new school, but instead they had a bond election and built a third stadium.

I've had the opportunity to drive by all three stadiums on a Friday night and all were empty as the teams were playing on the road. I'm sure it's happened but I've never seen all three stadiums in use the same night. I'm sure there was a case to be made, and the voters approved it, but looking from the outside it seems like it would be a big waste of money.

texasbob 08-23-16 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Underwood (Post 6517194)
So you don't know what you're saying, it's okay. Texas Football just isn't as cracked up as it's made to be.

What is it made to be? It is what it is. Estimated attendance in a season to Texas public school varsity games including play offs?
10.9 million (2014 numbers)

Sykotyk 08-23-16 09:52 AM

That's part of the issue. It happens in Ohio or Pennsylvania just as easily. Just on a smaller scale. But, it's still as redundant. Schools want their own and don't want to share.

Frank Underwood 08-23-16 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbob (Post 6517341)
What is it made to be? It is what it is. Estimated attendance in a season to Texas public school varsity games including play offs?
10.9 million (2014 numbers)

What's the point of playing dumb here?

pied 08-23-16 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sykotyk (Post 6517364)
That's part of the issue. It happens in Ohio or Pennsylvania just as easily. Just on a smaller scale. But, it's still as redundant. Schools want their own and don't want to share.

Yep. Another anecdote about the same district, one of the schools was having some renovations completed and I looked into it. Appears in addition to refurbishing and expanding their auditorium(which are also very nice) they were getting a "black-box theater". I asked someone on the administration why and they said another high school in the district had one. whatever

pied 08-23-16 10:16 AM

Want to clarify my point and thoughts. I think Texas HS football following is great and would put it up against any place in the nation. You can find plenty of big and small schools with GREAT followings, atmospheres, and crowds. The only point is that it is not EVERY school or town. As pointed out above b TexasBob, sometimes the crowds vary greatly between schools in the same city/district.

texasbob 08-23-16 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Underwood (Post 6517378)
What's the point of playing dumb here?

I should have explained my point. Who has the best HS football, best stadiums and the best fan base? That is very subjective and hard to analyse.

A point I think we could agree on is Texas more schools playing football on more nights in front of more fans than any other state. Texas also has more poor stadiums more apathetic fans and bad football teams than any other state. We also have some of the best in all those categories. You can honestly say bigger is not better.

Ohio has a great fan base, better than most.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.