Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Game of Thrones (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307528)

Spille 10-30-17 04:07 PM

Game of Thrones
 
Well, after hearing so much of this show, I've decided to start watching over the weekend. I watched the 1st two episodes and must say, I very much look forward to watching more as soon as I can. The opening scene with the white walker really drew me in.

Plenty of characters to dislike already. Joffrey and Viserys lead my short list and I don't feel I'll like any of the Lannisters, except maybe Tyrian.

Anything I need to know about this show before I move forward? I probably won't see anymore until this weekend. I have to pick and choose when I watch with the kids around, so if I get maybe a couple in every weekend, that will be good progress for me.

EastYoungstown 10-30-17 04:11 PM

Start writing things down....

TroyTrojan05 10-30-17 04:24 PM

I know Iím in the minority but I didnít like the show. I gave it 1.5 seasons and gave up.

Auggie 10-30-17 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 (Post 6892615)
I know Iím in the minority but I didnít like the show. I gave it 1.5 seasons and gave up.

He is like the gay version of Jodie Foster, everyone knows they are gay but they refuse to make a big public stink about it. Kind of ticks off the gay activists as they feel that everyone should be out and proud to show these big numbers.

clarkgriswold 10-30-17 06:46 PM

In season 5, you learn it's all been a dream sequence.

Yellow_Jacket06 10-30-17 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auggie (Post 6892622)
He is like the gay version of Jodie Foster, everyone knows they are gay but they refuse to make a big public stink about it. Kind of ticks off the gay activists as they feel that everyone should be out and proud to show these big numbers.

What the hell are you even talking about?

Sig Hansen 10-30-17 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 (Post 6892615)
I know Iím in the minority but I didnít like the show. I gave it 1.5 seasons and gave up.

Plus one. I've seen a couple episodes and it's just not my cup of tea. But I don't really watch any drama series besides Fargo.

eastisbest 10-30-17 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold (Post 6892814)
In season 5, you learn it's all been a dream sequence.

I thought it was a snow globe? They kept talking about Winter is coming.

Spille 10-30-17 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastYoungstown (Post 6892596)
Start writing things down....

Is it that hard to follow? I understand there are many characters.

bulldogcountry 10-31-17 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spille (Post 6892590)
Well, after hearing so much of this show, I've decided to start watching over the weekend. I watched the 1st two episodes and must say, I very much look forward to watching more as soon as I can. The opening scene with the white walker really drew me in.

Plenty of characters to dislike already. Joffrey and Viserys lead my short list and I don't feel I'll like any of the Lannisters, except maybe Tyrian.

Anything I need to know about this show before I move forward? I probably won't see anymore until this weekend. I have to pick and choose when I watch with the kids around, so if I get maybe a couple in every weekend, that will be good progress for me.

Do yourself a favor and watch The Wire instead.

EHS 2001 10-31-17 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spille (Post 6893008)
Is it that hard to follow? I understand there are many characters.

If you do miss something there are plenty of online resources with recaps/explanations of GOT/ASOIAF. The only downside is spoilers.

Here's a great website to keep track of where each main character is in Westeros/Essos throughout the series: https://quartermaester.info/

TylerDurden 10-31-17 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 (Post 6892878)
What the hell are you even talking about?

Kevin Spacey

winbypin 10-31-17 01:13 PM

I have binge watching it over the past 3 weeks or so. If you're binge watching, I think it's not too hard to keep track of what is going on.

If you were watching it weekly as the episodes came out and then had to wait many months until the next season started it could be hard to follow maybe.

I think it's pretty good. Not the greatest thing ever but it is entertaining.

Crusaders 10-31-17 01:52 PM

Read the books

eastisbest 10-31-17 02:30 PM

Skip the books if you're over 60. You'll not have enough time to finish and the shows have moved ahead.

I read the first book, about half way. With my eyes, reading can be a bit of a chore so I kind of lost interest but I did enjoy it, he paints a good picture and there are many more details particularly of the history of the families. I like the shows because they take me real places as well as imaginary.

Spille 11-08-17 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EHS 2001 (Post 6893749)
If you do miss something there are plenty of online resources with recaps/explanations of GOT/ASOIAF. The only downside is spoilers.

Here's a great website to keep track of where each main character is in Westeros/Essos throughout the series: https://quartermaester.info/

Thanks for the info. This does indeed help!

Spille 11-08-17 02:34 PM

Not quite half way through the 1st season. Last one I watched was episode 4. That was the episode where Danaerys fought back against Viserys for the first time, threatening to cut his hands off, and Tyrion was arrested by Catelyn at the end. Also, met the Clegane brothers for the 1st time. Not sure why, but I have this feeling I'm going to like Tyrion and also feel like "Littlefinger" is a backstabber and up to no good.

irish_buffalo 11-09-17 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spille (Post 6905396)
Not sure why, but I have this feeling I'm going to like Tyrion and also feel like "Littlefinger" is a backstabber and up to no good.

Hah, your feelings do not deceive you. I love Tyrion's character AND Littlefinger's just because the actor plays it so well. He just looks sneaky.

OhioBobcatFan06 11-09-17 11:27 AM

I don't think it is hard to keep track of the show (especially if you aren't waiting a year between seasons) but a lot happens/changes. I enjoy reading what people just starting it say because it reminds me how I once viewed certain plot lines and characters.

More than any show, change is constant and I think that is one reason why it is so amazing.

If I had kids, I wouldn't watch it around them and I also wouldn't watch it around my parents or grandparents.

I don't want to spoil anything. All that I will say is Tyrion is my favorite character.

eastisbest 11-09-17 11:43 AM

The nice think about a binge, it's made worth the effort as so many of those early season interactions become important and are reflected in the most recent season.

TroyTrojan05 11-09-17 11:44 AM

The Wire and Breaking Bad > GOT's

Spille 11-09-17 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish_buffalo (Post 6906199)
Hah, your feelings do not deceive you. I love Tyrion's character AND Littlefinger's just because the actor plays it so well. He just looks sneaky.

Yes, sneaky is the perfect word to describe Littlefinger. Exactly what I was looking for.

Spille 11-09-17 12:40 PM

I have certainly found myself wanting to watch more, but best I can do is early Saturday and Sunday morning before my kids get up. I had been watching via Kodi but a co-worker gave me the 1st season on DVD, so I may be able to sneak 2 episodes each morning since I won't have to wait for the source to load and find a reliable and good source to watch, etc.

Spille 11-09-17 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 (Post 6906213)
I don't think it is hard to keep track of the show (especially if you aren't waiting a year between seasons) but a lot happens/changes. I enjoy reading what people just starting it say because it reminds me how I once viewed certain plot lines and characters.

More than any show, change is constant and I think that is one reason why it is so amazing.

If I had kids, I wouldn't watch it around them and I also wouldn't watch it around my parents or grandparents.

I don't want to spoil anything. All that I will say is Tyrion is my favorite character.

So far, it's not bad. I understand there are many characters and most have not been introduced yet. I do find myself recognizing a character but I often can't remember their name.

irish_buffalo 11-09-17 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spille (Post 6906302)
So far, it's not bad. I understand there are many characters and most have not been introduced yet. I do find myself recognizing a character but I often can't remember their name.

I still do not know who everyone is, where they are from, etc...?

BB is my all time fav but once everyone started talking about this I figured I'd give it a whirl. Not really into fantasies like this but it has stuck. Binged the first two seasons.

I had to look up a map of Westeros as a point of reference. Then I said to myself am I really looking up a mythical map to better understand a show including sorcery and dragons? Yup.

Lot's of folks on here, who have read the books and have a far better understanding than me have helped greatly as well. Your head will spin trying to figure it all out on your own.

bob22 11-20-17 08:32 AM

A cinema in London is screening all 7 seasons back-to-back over 4 days.

http://watchersonthewall.com/cinema-...k/#more-156642

Spille 11-20-17 09:30 AM

Finished up season 1 this weekend. With an extra day off this week, I hope to put a good dent in season 2 this week. Really looking forward to watching more.

Favorite character: Tyrion Lannister.
Least favorite character: Joffrey Baratheon. Hated Viserys, his death was pretty sweet.
Best line: Walder Frey to his son - "You're mom would still be a milkmaid if I hadn't shot you into her belly" Or something very close to that.

A breif recap of all the happenings since it's been 7 years since the season aired.

Ned is dead, Joffrey is an arse. Hope Sansa and Arya stick around to avenge their father's death. Feel like they are grooming Arya to be a bad. Sansa needs to toughen up.

Jon Snow, after being convinced to stay with the watch, is getting ready to head North of the wall to search for his uncle Benjen with Mormont.

Robb has captured Jamie Lannister and defeated some of the Lannister forces. Proclaimed king of the north.

Tywin (whom I also dislike) is sending Tyrion to take his place as hand of the king.

Denaerys has her dragons and Khal is dead. Kind of bummed about that, was hoping to see him kick some more .

Stannis and Renly have both stated their claim to the throne.

Looking forward to season 2.

Descartes 11-20-17 10:16 AM

It's so funny reliving all of this through the eyes of a new viewer. He has no idea what he's about to encounter.

Spille 11-20-17 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descartes (Post 6919256)
It's so funny reliving all of this through the eyes of a new viewer. He has no idea what he's about to encounter.

I do wish I could watch more at a time. One per day that I don't have to work is about the best I can do. Excited to start season 2, likely Wednesday morning.

Buck_98 11-20-17 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spille (Post 6919446)
I do wish I could watch more at a time. One per day that I don't have to work is about the best I can do. Excited to start season 2, likely Wednesday morning.

It will get a little slow about the 3rd season. Stick with it because it gets really good seasons 5-7


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.