Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Ft. Loramie Coaching Situation (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309143)

fangwoc 12-21-17 07:43 AM

Ft. Loramie Coaching Situation

Is this a good job? I heard they ran the last guy off with some kind of a stupid survey? Are they a team that believes they can be like a MAC team but are in the pretty bad CCC conference? Does anyone think they have enough talent to ever get to a D7 state title game?

wls_color 12-21-17 08:13 AM

Yes, it is a good job. Fort Loramie is a better program than the lower tier of the MAC. If they could ever get in the MAC (which I've heard is the ultimate goal), they would eventually perform very well in it.

And yes, I believe that even if they don't ever go to the MAC - they are capable of winning a state title with the right coach and group of kids.

fangwoc 12-21-17 09:02 AM

I was thinking they were pretty good in many areas just was not sure. But then again I guess everyone has the chance to win a state title with the right coach and players. But I think they could consistently be in that position where many other small teams are not.

lat 12-21-17 09:10 AM

Wince Morris is a guy they should go after

WOHBuckeye 12-21-17 09:34 AM

Fort Loramie plays basketball in the Shelby County League; which is as good across sports as the MAC. That's where Anna plays everything but football. I think they'll end up in the MAC but it will come down to sticking points on whether the MAC wants them in the conference for everything or not.

They are very strong in cross country over the years; had state titles in girls and boys basketball - Many people forget they aren't in the MAC.

Indiandad 12-21-17 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wls_color (Post 6947153)
Yes, it is a good job. Fort Loramie is a better program than the lower tier of the MAC. If they could ever get in the MAC (which I've heard is the ultimate goal), they would eventually perform very well in it.

And yes, I believe that even if they don't ever go to the MAC - they are capable of winning a state title with the right coach and group of kids.

Ft. Loramie would finish 3rd last in Football in the MAC most years. On their best years they would finish 5th.

As a school they are excellent and very similar to MAC communities. They have some very good sports programs and some not so good. Football at FL has been not so good.

Indiandad 12-21-17 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOHBuckeye (Post 6947201)
Fort Loramie plays basketball in the Shelby County League; which is as good across sports as the MAC. That's where Anna plays everything but football. I think they'll end up in the MAC but it will come down to sticking points on whether the MAC wants them in the conference for everything or not.

They are very strong in cross country over the years; had state titles in girls and boys basketball - Many people forget they aren't in the MAC.

How many State titles does the Shelby County League have?

foghat78 12-21-17 10:34 AM

Fort Loramie would be a great place for a coach to live and raise his family. You will win at Loramie because they have great families and hard working kids. I do not think they are a state title type of team as long as they are in the CCC. Just as I don't believe Covington is a state title team as long as they play a CCC schedule.

If Loramie joined the MAC they would be equivalent to Anna. I don't think they would be a top 3 team but they would hover around the middle of the pack and sneak into that upper half from time to time.

Indiandad 12-21-17 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foghat78 (Post 6947238)
Fort Loramie would be a great place for a coach to live and raise his family. You will win at Loramie because they have great families and hard working kids. I do not think they are a state title type of team as long as they are in the CCC. Just as I don't believe Covington is a state title team as long as they play a CCC schedule.

If Loramie joined the MAC they would be equivalent to Anna. I don't think they would be a top 3 team but they would hover around the middle of the pack and sneak into that upper half from time to time.

FL is a great town and a great community. Their football program is nowhere near a middle MAC program though much less an occasional top MAC team.
A great year for FL in the MAC would be 6-4 Assuming they win 2 OOC games.

serpico 12-21-17 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiandad (Post 6947326)
FL is a great town and a great community. Their football program is nowhere near a middle MAC program though much less an occasional top MAC team.
A great year for FL in the MAC would be 6-4 Assuming they win 2 OOC games.

All the same could have been said about Fort Recovery pre-2015. Loramie DOES have the ingredients for football success if it can get a good coach and stay out of his way.

troyboy73 12-21-17 01:14 PM

Fort Loramie has the following state titles:

2010/Baseball

1993/Boys basketball

2015/Girls basketball

2014/Girls Volleyball

BlessEmAll 12-21-17 01:23 PM

Not much difference in the kids from FL and the ones from the MAC. JUST SAYING. great town and great families

Indiandad 12-21-17 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serpico (Post 6947343)
All the same could have been said about Fort Recovery pre-2015. Loramie DOES have the ingredients for football success if it can get a good coach and stay out of his way.

pre 2015 Fort Recovery was fighting to get out of the bottom 3.

What's your point?

big medicine 12-21-17 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlessEmAll (Post 6947381)
Not much difference in the kids from FL and the ones from the MAC. JUST SAYING. great town and great families

Probably more than a few Loramie families have family ties to the MAC. We had cousins at Loramie from both Dad and Mom's sides of the family

bigkat 12-21-17 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiandad (Post 6947382)
pre 2015 Fort Recovery was fighting to get out of the bottom 3.

What's your point?

probably means if people say one fort would be considered to be in the bottom half of the MAC if they join(won't happen) why not look how the other Fort battled it's way out of the bottom to do what they have in the last few years.....

Stirred not Shaken 12-21-17 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlessEmAll (Post 6947381)

Don't think too many MAC schools would run off a successful baseball coach just because he yells at the players too much or a very successful basketball coach about 15 years ago for basically the same reason. Maybe not much difference in the kids but for what ever reason FL parents seem to be a little more thin skinned than their northern neighbors.

Stirred not Shaken 12-21-17 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wls_color (Post 6947153)

Better than who ? Parkway and New Bremen . Any team can win a state title with the right coach and group of talented players. Trouble is their are very few Goodwin's , Otten's, or Stokes around and willing to stay at a small school if they are successful.

Indiandad 12-21-17 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkat (Post 6947646)
probably means if people say one fort would be considered to be in the bottom half of the MAC if they join(won't happen) why not look how the other Fort battled it's way out of the bottom to do what they have in the last few years.....

Nothing about Ft. Loramie's football past suggest they would be anything more than another win for 6 or more MAC teams.

Can that change? Of course but people should be realistic about where the program is and what it needs to do to get to the top.

Based on recent events I don't think the FL community is realistically about either.

StateChampion2012 12-21-17 10:45 PM

Isn't there already a thread about this? And Fort Loramie, this past season, probably would've finished between New Bremen and Parkway IMO but they would've competed with a few teams.

Weiskittle 12-22-17 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foghat78 (Post 6947238)

The fact that Anna is a middle of the Pac team is a good reason for FL not to be on the MAC. I think 9 out of 10 years Anna would beat them.

Since FL started their program the only time they would have even has a chance of beating Anna was 3 years ago when they had their worst year ever.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Weiskittle 12-22-17 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lat (Post 6947182)
Wince Morris is a guy they should go after

It took 1 year to cause trouble at Sidney, why would FL want him?

lat 12-22-17 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiskittle (Post 6947755)
It took 1 year to cause trouble at Sidney, why would FL want him?

He is not the issue

bigkat 12-22-17 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiandad (Post 6947691)
Nothing about Ft. Loramie's football past suggest they would be anything more than another win for 6 or more MAC teams.

Can that change? Of course but people should be realistic about where the program is and what it needs to do to get to the top.

Based on recent events I don't think the FL community is realistically about either.

what did your Fort do in the past that would make you feel that they had a chance.......they had a chance because they ran thru a streak of some very talented kids and a Coach that was given a chance to do his job......and to tell you the truth Loramie has KIDS that are very talented, the key is can the Loramie parents shut their mouths and let a coach BUILD a program.... like Nielkamp has done at Recovery

Rahiem 12-22-17 09:01 AM

i know three applicants for the job and heard that they've had over 30 apply for it. Sounds like interviews begin just after the new year.

Weiskittle 12-22-17 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lat (Post 6947769)
He is not the issue

Causing waves like that after one year? Might not be the issue but it's a warning sign.

Rangerfan 12-22-17 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troyboy73 (Post 6947374)
Fort Loramie has the following state titles:

2010/Baseball

1993/Boys basketball

2015/Girls basketball

2014/Girls Volleyball

They also have a boys cross country title recently. I think 2016.

foghat78 12-22-17 10:20 AM

Any big surprises with who's applied? Frontrunners? I'd like to see an up and coming coordinator get the positon and have a chance to make a name for himself, but one thing I've noticed over the years is CCC coaches seem to switch schools inside the conference some. Cates from TV South to Covington, Schondelmyer from Tri Village to Arcanum, and I know there has been a few others over the years. Anyone from inside the CCC that may look to go to Loramie?

Indiandad 12-22-17 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkat (Post 6947835)
what did your Fort do in the past that would make you feel that they had a chance.......they had a chance because they ran thru a streak of some very talented kids and a Coach that was given a chance to do his job......and to tell you the truth Loramie has KIDS that are very talented, the key is can the Loramie parents shut their mouths and let a coach BUILD a program.... like Nielkamp has done at Recovery

Fort Recovery had some extremely talented kids on very bad teams. Talent helps but it isn't everything in Football.

Friday night success starts in the weight room in January. Ordinary kids have success because they earn it.

How dedicated are FL kids in the offseason? How dedicated are the kid's parents?
A little anecdote: back when my son was an eighth grader going into his freshman year I drove him and his buddies over to Maria Stein at 7 am the day after the last day of school. I showed them Marion Local high school kids out on the field without a coach working out, running/conditioning, running routes etc. I told them that is why ML wins. They work harder. In 2015 my son was thanked by Coach Niekamp for helping to change the offseason culture.
Every coach is dedicated to winning but when the coaches want it more than the kids then success is hard to come by.

bigkat 12-22-17 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiandad (Post 6947975)
Fort Recovery had some extremely talented kids on very bad teams. Talent helps but it isn't everything in Football.

Friday night success starts in the weight room in January. Ordinary kids have success because they earn it.

How dedicated are FL kids in the offseason? How dedicated are the kid's parents?
A little anecdote: back when my son was an eighth grader going into his freshman year I drove him and his buddies over to Maria Stein at 7 am the day after the last day of school. I showed them Marion Local high school kids out on the field without a coach working out, running/conditioning, running routes etc. I told them that is why ML wins. They work harder. In 2015 my son was thanked by Coach Niekamp for helping to change the offseason culture.
Every coach is dedicated to winning but when the coaches want it more than the kids then success is hard to come by.

how dedicated are the FL Kids in the offseason. and their parents? that is the key questions, but over the years Loramie has had KIds that are VERY talented......with that in mind your Fort has been very average as the MAC goes up until the last few years....and now that they seem to GET IT, that is half the battle, they know what they have to do, to get where they want to be.....
so who knows if the Loramie kids GET IT.....and like I said, the Loramie parents needs to GET IT too.....it is a hellva lo harder in football then it is Basketball or baseball, in which they have had some success...

Indiandad 12-22-17 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkat (Post 6948171)
how dedicated are the FL Kids in the offseason. and their parents? that is the key questions, but over the years Loramie has had KIds that are VERY talented......with that in mind your Fort has been very average as the MAC goes up until the last few years....and now that they seem to GET IT, that is half the battle, they know what they have to do, to get where they want to be.....
so who knows if the Loramie kids GET IT.....and like I said, the Loramie parents needs to GET IT too.....it is a hellva lo harder in football then it is Basketball or baseball, in which they have had some success...

To be clear, not once have I knocked the Kids from FL.

When an administration sends out a survey to parents and community members asking their uninformed opinion of a coach, I have to question whether they as a school and community have what it takes to be champions.

FR parents and community members did not understand the commitment needed until a few years ago.

Until FL understands that they won't compete outside of the CCC and certainly would not be a mid level much less a top tier MAC school.