Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   St Xavier Bombers (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Week 12: Sycamore (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307712)

ReLoad 11-04-17 09:17 AM

Week 12: Sycamore

The #4 seed Sycamore Aviators (9-2) face the #1 seed St. Xavier Bombers (10-1) in a 2nd round region 4 matchup this Friday night (location TBD).

StX is 6-0 all-time vs. Sycamore, winning the 4 regular season games from 1985-1988, the crosstown showdown week 1 game in 2002 at Nippert Stadium by a score of 10-7 and last year’s thrilling regional final overtime win 35-28

The Aves shared 2nd place in the GMC this season with Fairfield and Mason all 3 teams with 6-2 conference records.
Shocker: Colerain won the GMC with an 8-0 record :eek:

ReLoad 11-04-17 09:18 AM

The Aves shutout both of their non-conference opponents Loveland 33-0 and Mount Healthy 17-0 to start the season.

In conference play they lost to Colerain 42-0 in Week 4 and Fairfield 21-7 in Week 6.

Sandwiched between those losses were victories in Week 3 (Mason 21-7) and Week 5 (Middletown 34-14)

They breezed through their final 3 games of the season beating Oak Hills 42-6, Lakota East 40-13 and Princeton 20-9

ReLoad 11-04-17 09:23 AM

In their 1st round game over Tom Grippa's Milford Eagles, Sycamore needed overtime to secure a 41-35 win.

In the game the Aves rushed 61 times for 426 yards
They were led by junior RB Brian Doneghy who carried 40 times for 259 yards and 5 TDs

ReLoad 11-04-17 09:30 AM

Replacing last season's workhouse RaVon Bonner (now at the University of Illinois) is a stable of pint sized running backs

Sycamore running backs with season carries and yards
#2 Jordan McConnell So. 5’7” 170lb 89 for 483
#6 Brian Doneghy Jr. 5’7” 170lb 60 for 378
#1 Jon Malek Sr. 5’7” 160lb 57 for 269
#24 Lee May Jr. 5’11” 175lb 39 for 133

Malek who played in last season's regional final vs. X is the team's 2nd leading receiver (after Williams) with 20 catches for 513 yards

Doneghy didn't get any carries until Week 8 when he rushed 16 times for 120 yards vs Oak Hills.

In the last 2 games (Princeton and Milford) he has rushed for 446 yards on 68 carries for 7 TDs

ReLoad 11-04-17 09:31 AM

Sycamore Offense
WR 41 Myron Williams Sr. 6’1” 185lb 30 for 719
WR 31 Kyle Fehr Sr. 6’1” 215lb
QB 10 Drew Altemuehle (dual threat) So. 6’2” 205lb 64 for 96 1275 yards 10 TDs/1 INT
RB/WR 1 Jon Malek Sr. 5’7” 160lb 57 for 269 and 20 catches for 513 yards
RB/WR 2 Jordan McConnell So. 5’7” 170lb 89 for 483
RB/WR 6 Brian Doneghy Jr. 5’7” 170lb 60 for 378
RB 24 Lee May Jr. 5’11” 175lb 39 for 133
RT 70 Tate Goodyear Sr. 6’4” 275lb
RG 54 Chad Galinari Sr. 5’10” 225lb
C 50 Ed Son Jr. 5’10” 220lb
LG 67 Trevor Johnson Sr. 5’11” 250lb
LT 60 Tyreke Evans Sr. 5’10” 245lb
TE 28 Noah Hughes Sr. 6’0” 195lb

ReLoad 11-04-17 09:32 AM

The Aves offensive line is fairly light
RT 70 Tate Goodyear Sr. 6’4” 275lb
RG 54 Chad Galinari Sr. 5’10” 225lb
C 50 Ed Son Jr. 5’10” 220lb
LG 67 Trevor Johnson Sr. 5’11” 250lb
LT 60 Tyreke Evans Sr. 5’10” 245lb
TE 28 Noah Hughes Sr. 6’0” 195lb (strictly a blocking TE - has yet to catch a pass)

Goodyear plays both ways

ReLoad 11-04-17 09:35 AM

Sycamore Defense (9 seniors, 2 sophomores)
DL 55 Alex Schaad Sr. 6’1” 240lb
DL 70 Tate Goodyear Sr. 6’4” 275lb
DL 36 Dominic Million Sr. 5’10” 235lb
OLB 33 Jonny Bothen Sr. 6’1” 195lb
ILB 31 Kyle Fehr Sr. 6’1” 215lb
ILB 13 Marquise Fisher So. 6’3” 202lb
OLB 32 Garrett Boyd Sr. 6’1” 185lb
S 19 Patrick Tueimeh Sr. 5’11” 190lb
S 8 Christian Kelly Sr. 5’8” 160lb
CB 7 Noah Blase So. 5’10” 170lb
CB 5 Khalis Hicks Sr. 5’9” 170lb (5 INTs)

ReLoad 11-04-17 09:37 AM

On the defense........
Fehr, Boyd and Tueimeh are the leading tacklers all with about 55 tackles in 10 games
7 of the 9 seniors played in last season’s regional final vs StX

ReLoad 11-04-17 12:32 PM

Common Opponents

Colerain
StX won 20-17 OT at Colerain Week 2
Sycamore lost 42-0 at Colerain Week 4

Fairfield
StX won 40-12 at StX Week 11
Sycamore lost 21-7 at Sycamore Week 6

4GX 11-04-17 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReLoad (Post 6900015)
Replacing last season's workhouse RaVon Bonner (now at the University of Illinois) is a stable of pint sized running backs

Sycamore running backs with season carries and yards
#2 Jordan McConnell So. 5’7” 170lb 89 for 483
#6 Brian Doneghy Jr. 5’7” 170lb 60 for 378
#1 Jon Malek Sr. 5’7” 160lb 57 for 269
#24 Lee May Jr. 5’11” 175lb 39 for 133

Malek who played in last season's regional final vs. X is the team's leading receiver with 20 catches for 513 yards

Doneghy didn't get any carries until Week 8 when he rushed 16 times for 120 yards vs Oak Hills.

In the last 2 games (Princeton and Milford) he has rushed for 446 yards on 68 carries for 7 TDs

Could it be... the son of the Late, Great....???

ReLoad 11-04-17 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4GX (Post 6900605)

The bopper?
Maybe his grandson?

the_big_toe 11-04-17 08:55 PM

This week is when the loss to Iggy's can pay off - Specht can use the memories of that game to help keep the team focused on the opponent at hand instead of looking forward to Colerain in the Regional Finals.

kdogg 11-04-17 10:48 PM

Apparently game to be played at Mason.

P.S. Go Bombers !!!

BigFatz 11-06-17 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReLoad (Post 6900818)
The bopper?
Maybe his grandson?

I think grandson. Son went to Purcell, graduated in about '86 and played on state title basketball team, was 1st round draft pick in baseball. Maybe the Mets??

The current one on Sycamore played for St. Nicks a few years ago in grade school.

ReLoad 11-06-17 03:41 PM

During the regular season the Aves pass defense had only allowed 85 yards per game, 2 passing TDs (Hamilton and Oak Hills) and had intercepted the ball 12 times.

Khalis Hicks has 5 INTs and Pat Tuemieh 3 INTs.

In last Friday's 1st round OT victory over Milford they gave up 3 passing TDs and 276 yards in the air (previous high was 187 by Oak Hills)

They shutout their 2 non-conference opponents (Loveland and Mt. Healthy) who threw for a combined 31 yards.
Not sure if any of the GMC teams had much of a passing attack.
Possibly Oak Hills but they were 0-10

ReLoad 11-06-17 09:32 PM

StX Offense Formula for success:
Wolf’s pass completion > 60% and percent of his completions to the playmakers (Wittrock, Specht and Kreimer) > 70%
Those 2 percentages add up to >130 in all 10 of the Bomber victories.
In the Bomber loss to St. Ignatius they totaled only 97 (44% and 53%)

ReLoad 11-06-17 09:56 PM

The Milford (8-3) win was only the Aves 3rd victory over a team with a winning record.
They beat Mason (9-2) in Week 3 21-7 and Lakota East (6-4) in Week 8 40-13.
The overall record of their 11 opponents is 61-64.
The Bombers overall record of their 11 opponents is 81-45

JBaller 11-07-17 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4GX (Post 6900605)

Lee May is his grandson. A previous grandson, BJ Evans, started at fullback for the '06 Sycamore team. Another grandson, Jacob May, played multiple sports at Lakota West and is now on the Chicago White Sox.

BigFatz 11-07-17 02:23 PM

Thanks. I remember playing against Lee May Jr at Purcell. Great athlete.

JBaller 11-07-17 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReLoad (Post 6903333)
During the regular season the Aves pass defense had only allowed 85 yards per game, 2 passing TDs (Hamilton and Oak Hills) and had intercepted the ball 12 times.

Khalis Hicks has 5 INTs and Pat Tuemieh 3 INTs.

In last Friday's 1st round OT victory over Milford they gave up 3 passing TDs and 276 yards in the air (previous high was 187 by Oak Hills)

They shutout their 2 non-conference opponents (Loveland and Mt. Healthy) who threw for a combined 31 yards.
Not sure if any of the GMC teams had much of a passing attack.
Possibly Oak Hills but they were 0-10

The strength of this Sycamore team is their defense. I think you can throw out all of Sycamore's performances against Loveland, Mt. Healthy, Middletown, Oak Hills, Hamilton, Lakota East (they had like half their team suspended for the Sycamore game), and Princeton (game played in a driving rain) as those teams could not sniff X's level and focus on Sycamore's performances in their remaining games.

The best performance for the Sycamore defense was their regular season game against Mason. The Aves defense effectively pitched a shutout in that game (the time stamps on the two 4th Q TDs should be switched as Harris ran it in with 1 second left), bottling up Matt Sora and intercepting Mason quarterbacks 3 times (with a 4th INT somehow ruled incomplete). Mason could not attack Sycamore to the edge with their run game and could not push the ball vertically with their quarterbacks. Sycamore stacked between the tackles and jumped short routes and played a great game. They finished the game allowing 5.02 ypp, with the 3 INT proving crucial.

Two other notable defensive performances for Sycamore are their losses to Colerain and Fairfield. Against Colerain, the Sycamore defense didn't quite play as poorly as the score indicated. Sycamore threw two INT deep in their own territory that setup Colerian TDs. The Aves didn't play atrociously against Colerain's triple option, except when Colerain was able to generate a successful play that got a back to the second level, at which point Sycamore struggled with the speed of the Colerain backs. Sycamore surrendered a season high 8.24 ypp against Colerain due to the long runs. Against Fairfield, Sycamore again turned the ball over deep in their own territory to setup one of the Fairfield TDs. Outside of that, they gave up 14 points, getting gashed at times to the perimeter, but not to the point that they did against Colerain, yielding 6.51 ypp.

Finally, that brings us to the game against Milford (who runs the most similar offense to X of any team Sycamore has played), which Sycamore won 41-35 in 2 OT (28-28 after regulation). Sycamore was winning 21-7 midway through the 3rd quarter, and, up to that point in the game, they were giving up some completions but were making Milford string together drives, most of which stalled in Sycamore territory as the field compressed. Milford then completed a ricochet TD pass that deflected off two Sycamore defenders before falling into the arms of the Milford receiver in the end zone. On the next possession, the Aves completely blew a coverage, leaving a Milford receiver all by himself for a long TD. The final Milford TD in regulation came as Sycamore's offense went 3 and out on two consecutive possessions late in the game with both punts failing to get into Milford territory. In all, Sycamore held Milford to 5.44 ypp, and part of their 2nd half collapse could be attributed to facing a season-high 73 plays run by Milford (Sycamore is not deep).

JBaller 11-07-17 02:46 PM

Also of note for how Sycamore matches up with X is last year's playoff game. Sycamore held X to 7 points through 3 quarters, which came on a Clifford 40-yd keeper. X had 9 carries for 11 yards when handing the ball off (of note, X had 11 carries for 6 yards against Fairfield last week), with the X run game entirely coming from Clifford keepers or scrambles. Wolf's running ability does not match Clifford's. X was able to score 2 TD late to send the game to OT due to Clifford's ability to scramble for yards and to keep plays alive and find open receivers. I think the Sycamore defense was gassed by the end of this game last year.

For this year's game, Sycamore returns 5 of their top 6 players in the secondary from last year, and have, in my opinion, a much better defense than a year ago. Needless to say, the X offense is far more dynamic, but I think that Sycamore has the personnel and ability to slow X's offense to some extent. X's running backs are not a threat, and their receivers, who I think are sensational, still don't offer the same speed threat in space that Sycamore struggled with against Colerain and Fairfield. Without the benefit of turnovers, I think Sycamore is fully capable of holding X to 20-28 points.

JBaller 11-07-17 03:02 PM

That gets me to Sycamore's offense.............and it's a significant downgrade from the team that X saw in the playoffs last year. Obviously, that happens when you lose a player like Bonner and also losing Borman, who just happens to be Sycamore's all time leading passer.

I really don't think Sycamore figured out what they wanted to do offensively this season until Week 7 when they inserted junior Brian Doneghy into the backfield. Doneghy was the JV starting RB last year, but had only seen time at WR and DB for Sycamore earlier this year. In four games in the starting role, Doneghy has 96 carries for 618 yards (6.4 ypc) and 12 TD. Sycamore has found a lot of success running quick hitting plays up the middle with Doneghy as he has tremendous speed through the hole. Sycamore's offense is going to pound between the tackles play after play, and then maybe will take a shot over the top to Williams and Malek, who are both very good receivers.

The worry for me is if Sycamore has to put any of this game on sophomore QB Drew Altemuehle. He is a big kid with a good arm and throws an accurate ball, but he is NOT a dual threat. I think he should be one of the top QBs in the state by the time he's a senior; however, he is currently a sophomore and has struggled in Sycamore's toughest games. He went 1/2 for 8 yds and carried 4 times for 25 yds before leaving the game hurt against Mason. He was 5/10 for 40 yds and a bad INT and carried 7 times for 8 yards (including getting stuffed 3 times from the 1-yd line when Sycamore was still in the game) against Colerain. He did go 9/17 for 164 yds and 1 TD against Fairfield, but also lost 40 yds on 11 carries due to sacks to go along with making SportsCenter's Not Top 10. Finally, against Milford, he went 8/16 for 71 yds and 1 TD and carried 9 times for 35 yds, but struggled to pickup some critical conversions that would have put the game away.

JBaller 11-07-17 03:30 PM

How I think Sycamore can win:

-The biggest key will be for Sycamore's offense to have success on X's defense, which gave up 14 points or less in regulation in 10/11 games. My optimistic side thinks Sycamore can have some success running the ball as X really has only faced three good rushing offenses the whole season (why is the entire GCL-S bad at running the ball?), and two if you consider the fact that Stepp was out for Cathedral when they played X. Colerain had 56 carries for 192 yards in the rain and Iggy had 54 carries for 266 yards. Sycamore's offensive line is not as good as those two teams, but it's still solid. Doneghy will probably be the 2nd or 3rd best running back that X has faced all season (Ivan Pace Jr. from Colerain is better and I think Doneghy is pretty equal to Jahadge Floyd from Iggy). If Sycamore has enough success, they can take the game out of Altemuehle's hands and only put the ball in the air on play action shots, which had success against X last year.

-To follow up on Sycamore's offensive success, it has to be running the ball as I think Sycamore will need to shorted this game. Sycamore is not a deep team, and the more plays that are run in the game favor X.

-Sycamore's offense also cannot turn the ball over at all.

-On defense, I'm not sure anybody is expecting X to have any kind of success running the ball. Therefore, the key for Sycamore is to not blow coverage and let X receivers behind them (a la Specht on the tying TD last year). If they can make X extend drives, X's inability to run the ball may allow Sycamore to hold X to 2-3 FG which otherwise might be TDs.

-Finally, if all of those other keys happen, it will still come down to Sycamore making a play in the end to win the game. I'm not sure they can, but they are now on the big stage against X for the 2nd straight year, so at least they know what it is like. If Sycamore wins this game, it will be something like a 21-20 game.

It should be noted that I think Sycamore matches up really well with X. Sycamore is well-coached and disciplined like a GCL-S school, and X also isn't a team that has an athletic advantage on Sycamore. The biggest difference is overall depth (Sycamore only plays like 25 overall players; X probably has 3rd stringers that Sycamore would find good use for) and quarterback play, where X has a senior who is the best in the state and Sycamore is starting a sophomore.

JBaller 11-07-17 03:35 PM

What I think will happen:

-Sycamore comes out with an excellent offensive game plan and is able to get a TD in the 1st half.
-Sycamore's defense is able to limit X early in the game, holding X to a TD, a FG, and a 4th down stop by halftime. Halftime score 10-7 X.
-Specht will make halftime adjustments and X will score on their first drive of the 2nd half. Sycamore will be able to answer by going to their bag of tricks, likely a reverse pass from Malek to Williams.
-Eventually, in the 4th quarter, Wolf starts to pick apart Sycamore's defense as they begin to wear down and X adds another TD. Sycamore's offense is unable to do anything from behind, and X is able to add another FG while running off the clock on a methodical drive.

X wins 27-14

JBaller 11-07-17 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReLoad (Post 6900019)
WR 31 Kyle Fehr Sr. 6’1” 215lb

Fehr is a fullback on offense.

JBaller 11-07-17 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReLoad (Post 6900021)
Goodyear plays both ways

Goodyear will rarely come off the field. Son and Evans also play both ways as Sycamore tries to rotate their OL and DL. Fehr plays both ways as a FB/LB and rarely comes off the field. May is the 3rd RB in addition to playing DL. Malek plays in the secondary as a dime DB and also has seen significant time at QB.

lotr10 11-07-17 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBaller (Post 6904350)
For this year's game, Sycamore returns 5 of their top 6 players in the secondary from last year, and have, in my opinion, a much better defense than a year ago. Needless to say, the X offense is far more dynamic, but I think that Sycamore has the personnel and ability to slow X's offense to some extent. X's running backs are not a threat, and their receivers, who I think are sensational, still don't offer the same speed threat in space that Sycamore struggled with against Colerain and Fairfield. Without the benefit of turnovers, I think Sycamore is fully capable of holding X to 20-28 points.

Nice summaries JBaller and I think you nailed what the Aves must do to have a chance to spring the upset here.

I would quibble with the bolded sentence though. The X receivers are faster then you think. The three kids that did the most damage against FF (#12, #10 & #8) are all football quick. In fact if I can get on my soapbox here: speed in HS football is overrated. When it's accompanied by sloppy route running it becomes almost a non-factor (see FF). What impressed me about X's receivers was that they caught the ball & ran very precise routes.

I also think you may be under estimating the X QB. His release is scary fast and accurate. The long balls he threw against FF were sublime. When he scrambles and is under pressure he keeps looking downfield - not an easy thing when Malik Vann is bearing down on you.

JBaller 11-07-17 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotr10 (Post 6904512)
Nice summaries JBaller and I think you nailed what the Aves must do to have a chance to spring the upset here.

I would quibble with the bolded sentence though. The X receivers are faster then you think. The three kids that did the most damage against FF (#12, #10 & #8) are all football quick. In fact if I can get on my soapbox here: speed in HS football is overrated. When it's accompanied by sloppy route running it becomes almost a non-factor (see FF). What impressed me about X's receivers was that they caught the ball & ran very precise routes.

I also think you may be under estimating the X QB. His release is scary fast and accurate. The long balls he threw against FF were sublime. When he scrambles and is under pressure he keeps looking downfield - not an easy thing when Malik Vann is bearing down on you.

My comment on the X receiver speed is more about what they do after the catch. Their short-area quickness and route-running ability is sensational, and I think they will be open quite a bit. The question then becomes: Can they get yards after the catch? Can they beat Sycamore over the top? We'll find out.

lotr10 11-07-17 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBaller (Post 6904518)
My comment on the X receiver speed is more about what they do after the catch. Their short-area quickness and route-running ability is sensational, and I think they will be open quite a bit. The question then becomes: Can they get yards after the catch? Can they beat Sycamore over the top? We'll find out.

My sense is that #12 can as can #8 - both are speedy and elusive. The other thing the Sycamore DB's will have to worry about are very accurate downfield passes. Against FF the X QB threw a ball about 40 yards downfield on a rope that split three defenders and went right into the hands of the X receiver. I might have enjoyed the beauty of the pass had it not been happening to the Indians.

One thing I noticed and I'm sure the Ave coaches also noticed is that X likes to drag #12 all the way across the front of the LB's and that their QB can make that tough throw accurately as the WR shakes their cover guy. A LB stepping back into that zone might get a pick - assuming they can handle the fast ball being zipped in by #2.

lotr10 11-07-17 05:26 PM

I hope you X fans don't mind a couple of GMC guys making comments here.