Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boys Basketball (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   St X Position Open (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321282)

Philly_Cat 03-02-19 12:12 PM

St X Position Open

So I guess this is official now...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cd5f35fd04.jpg

eastisbest 03-02-19 12:28 PM

love the copy and paste job description. Sure to garner copy and paste resumes leading to the job given to the pre-selected candidate (usually).

"mission centered leader...." :laugh:
sorry, that was rude. Button pushed.

tough to be in the same league as Moeller. It would be a chore to find a schedule with wins so consistently lop sided against credible competition.

PURPLE REIGN 03-02-19 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastisbest (Post 7267076)
tough to be in the same league as Moeller. It would be a chore to find a schedule with wins so consistently lop sided against credible competition.

St X should be a basketball power. They recruit the entire city and have 1600 boys in the school. With the endless amount of resources that school has, NO REASON they cant find 5+ stud basketball players in each grade.

Wasn't the current coach only there for one year? Why is he leaving already?

CometCountry 03-02-19 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN (Post 7267098)
St X should be a basketball power. They recruit the entire city and have 400 boys in each class. NO REASON they cant find 5+ stud basketball players in each grade.

Was just an "Interim head coach"--not a teacher--probably ideally want a teacher in the building. Maybe Higgins from Hamilton (St. X grad) would leave Big Blue after 1 year ---Of course Scott Martin is still in the building.

birdog 03-02-19 01:39 PM

Maybe they will poach one of the Moeller assistants. It worked for the baseball program. GBM

Ballin50 03-02-19 02:30 PM

IMO Iím going with Noszka or Neal...

JBaller 03-02-19 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CometCountry (Post 7267099)
Was just an "Interim head coach"--not a teacher--probably ideally want a teacher in the building. Maybe Higgins from Hamilton (St. X grad) would leave Big Blue after 1 year ---Of course Scott Martin is still in the building.

Martin was a very good coach until his kid got to high school. Then, for whatever reason, they stopped playing GCL-style basketball. They don't play methodic offense and physical defense the way they used to.

deuces dad 03-02-19 09:46 PM

Fleming’s job if he wants it

Omar 03-02-19 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBaller (Post 7267158)
Martin was a very good coach until his kid got to high school. Then, for whatever reason, they stopped playing GCL-style basketball. They don't play methodic offense and physical defense the way they used to.

Things were going downhill before his son got to X.Even if you take Moeller out of the equation, he was still way underperforming. I donít know what exactly happened, but it was clear he just didnt have it anymore.

ThePrepGuru 03-04-19 11:16 AM

Dan Flemming = Mission Appropriate ;)

Omar 03-04-19 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuces dad (Post 7267455)
Flemingís job if he wants it

Him or his son? Not sure if youíre serious, but I know his oldest is a well respected member of the OH staff. Only issue is a matter of experience bc heís very young.

America 03-04-19 05:10 PM

Kerr may apply. His Purcell Marian team should go to state in D3

cincyhoops 03-04-19 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by America (Post 7268910)

Not sure heíd be a good fit with St Xavier parents.

BASESWIMPARENT 03-04-19 05:36 PM

I think that X's former coach was a late hire due to "lack of attention to detail" problems that the coach that replaced Martin had. There were some teaching problems. I happened to watch the practice the day before the Princeton game. Not many athletes and a boring "set driven, pass around the perimeter centric offense." Need to get someone that is involved with basketball outside the regular season, establish a reputation and draw the players. On a different note, I thought X's baseball coach came form Middletown Fenwick. Did he coach at Moeller too?

GCPRO 03-04-19 08:27 PM

Coach Sherlock was at Fenwick prior to St. X but was an assistant at Princeton and Moeller prior to Fenwick. Didn't have much success at Fenwick but has been 74-61 in five seasons in Bomberland, 19-26 in the GCL with one league title and a regional berth.
Not to steal the Bomber basketball thread, just answering the question.

Youknow 03-04-19 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by America (Post 7268910)

Nope. He wonít leave PM. Loaded with young talent again. If Iím st. X Iím throwing everything I can at Fleming or cov cath coach

BASESWIMPARENT 03-05-19 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCPRO (Post 7269026)
Coach Sherlock was at Fenwick prior to St. X but was an assistant at Princeton and Moeller prior to Fenwick. Didn't have much success at Fenwick but has been 74-61 in five seasons in Bomberland, 19-26 in the GCL with one league title and a regional berth.
Not to steal the Bomber basketball thread, just answering the question.

Thank you

Lancermania 03-05-19 01:58 AM

I heard a rumor today that Fleming may be interested. One of his stated reasons for leaving La Salle was to have time to watch his daughter Lexi's games at Mercy-McAuley. She leads the league (GGCL) in FG% and steals. second in assists, and third in scoring. http://ggcl.gclsports.com/bkStatistics.aspx?sat=15. Her team plays Wednesday in a regional semi-final game.

SMARTY22 03-05-19 06:37 AM

Not sure if either would have interest but I think Ryan Fleming or Walt Gibler would do an outstanding job at St. X.

PURPLE REIGN 03-05-19 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancermania (Post 7269152)
I heard a rumor today that Fleming may be interested. One of his stated reasons for leaving La Salle was to have time to watch his daughter Lexi's games at Mercy-McAuley. She leads the league (GGCL) in FG% and steals. second in assists, and third in scoring. http://ggcl.gclsports.com/bkStatistics.aspx?sat=15. Her team plays Wednesday in a regional semi-final game.

Im not so sure. She is only a junior and then will move on to play in college. I'd think he would want to continue watching her play.

yj_runfan 03-05-19 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN (Post 7267098)
St X should be a basketball power. They recruit the entire city and have 1600 boys in the school. With the endless amount of resources that school has, NO REASON they cant find 5+ stud basketball players in each grade.

Deer Park's rent-a-coach should be ready to move on. The ultimate recruiter. :stirthepot:

ThePrepGuru 03-05-19 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT (Post 7268933)
I think that X's former coach was a late hire due to "lack of attention to detail" problems that the coach that replaced Martin had. There were some teaching problems. I happened to watch the practice the day before the Princeton game. Not many athletes and a boring "set driven, pass around the perimeter centric offense." Need to get someone that is involved with basketball outside the regular season, establish a reputation and draw the players. On a different note, I thought X's baseball coach came form Middletown Fenwick. Did he coach at Moeller too?

I like your profile of what they should be looking for. Assuming he is retired from teaching, wouldn't Mike Price be a great candidate? He checks all of your boxes. Thoughts?

JElder 03-05-19 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMARTY22 (Post 7269174)
Not sure if either would have interest but I think Ryan Fleming or Walt Gilbert would do an outstanding job at St. X.

Gibler doesn't even coach. He's a realtor..

JElder 03-05-19 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePrepGuru (Post 7269318)
I like your profile of what they should be looking for. Assuming he is retired from teaching, wouldn't Mike Price be a great candidate? He checks all of your boxes. Thoughts?

Why would Price leave a job he's been at for 28 years to go to X and start over? :rolleyes:

JElder 03-05-19 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youknow (Post 7269090)
Nope. He won’t leave PM. Loaded with young talent again. If I’m st. X I’m throwing everything I can at Fleming or cov cath coach

Nozka from Wilmington would be a great fit as well. I'm sure Brian Neal from RB will be going after that job. After the disaster of hiring outside the area with Jimmy L I expect X to hire someone local. I'm sure the new AD has some Dayton ties too and I could see someone from up there taking over. The Butler Coach has been in the market but those are public school guys so I'm not sure how the finances would work out.

Kurt Rambis 03-05-19 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JElder (Post 7269328)
Nozka from Wilmington would be a great fit as well. I'm sure Brian Neal from RB will be going after that job. After the disaster of hiring outside the area with Jimmy L I expect X to hire someone local. I'm sure the new AD has some Dayton ties too and I could see someone from up there taking over. Head Coach from Beavercreek has major ties to X. The Butler Coach has been in the market but those are public school guys so I'm not sure how the finances would work out.

Who is the beavercrrek coach with MAJOR ties to X?

JElder 03-05-19 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis (Post 7269467)
Who is the beavercrrek coach with MAJOR ties to X?

I made a mistake mentioning the Creek coach having major ties. I've since edited it out.

Carl Rick 03-05-19 12:35 PM

Nozka was finalist last time. Neal wanted it last time. The Fleming rumors are out there. New AD probably has his ideas.

Kurt Rambis 03-05-19 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Rick (Post 7269513)
Nozka was finalist last time. Neal wanted it last time. The Fleming rumors are out there. New AD probably has his ideas.

Noszca is great.
Neal...product of his talent. Not a fan.
Fleming would be awesome.

ThePrepGuru 03-05-19 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JElder (Post 7269322)
Why would Price leave a job he's been at for 28 years to go to X and start over? :rolleyes:

New challenge. Much broader pool of potential talent. Tired of the mediocre talent at Oak Hills. Just to name a few reasons he might.