Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Colerain & Mentor: Whats the secret? (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307963)

James x2 11-11-17 05:58 PM

Colerain & Mentor: Whats the secret?

Congrats to both schools on their victories and regional final appearances.Both are facing D-1 privates Friday.Colerain /X......Mentor/ Ignatius.Both have scheduled privates in the regular season....and won.Both have beaten members of the Power 5(Iggy,Ed's,X,Moeller,Elder) in the playoffs this year and in the past.What do these schools do that the rest of the D-1 publics could learn from?It's gotta be something to have sustained success for this long.I didn't forget Wayne,Pickerington,Hilliard Davidson,Toledo Whittmer,etc,etc.It's just that these two schools never seem off the radar.

rjewards 11-11-17 06:03 PM

whitmer is always on top wake up

DonMagicRon 11-11-17 06:03 PM

Heart

Descartes 11-11-17 06:05 PM

Talent.

Purple Hayes 11-11-17 06:10 PM

Population and success breeds success

James x2 11-11-17 06:12 PM

Whitmer was mentioned

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjewards (Post 6909760)
whitmer is always on top wake up

They have not scheduled or beaten the D-1 privates in the regular season have they? And to the best of my knowledge never had to beat one of those 5 to win a regional.Maybe they could but never had to.Either way Mentor and Colerain are head and shoulders above all others in this reguard.Even with their success both have taken their lumps in these matchups with members of the power 5.

DonMagicRon 11-11-17 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple Hayes (Post 6909772)
Population and success breeds success

Colerain has no population. The Cincinnati area privates pillage thru Colerain like no other area in Cincinnati.

cabezadecaballo 11-11-17 06:22 PM

Mentor is kind of an island.

It's a large district by virtue of the era in which the building boom occurred. Solid families, good school, good overall athletic culture and community support. Enrollment is shrinking, mommies are health conscious, so football at a level able to compete with the best of D1 may start to slip.

Lake Catholic isn't too far, but Iggy is almost an hour at prime commuting. St. Ed or the Summit County privates are out of the question. NDCL, US, Gilmour, maybe are options, but not really football draws.

cabezadecaballo 11-11-17 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMagicRon (Post 6909779)
Colerain has no population. The Cincinnati area privates pillage thru Colerain like no other area in Cincinnati.

I always wondered about that, because that was my impression. Outstanding youth programs ? A bunch of clubs in that part of the city, frequented by Bengals players over the years that "seeded" the population ?

Extra Point 11-11-17 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMagicRon (Post 6909779)

Have you been off your meds lately? Your angry post on the LS v. WW threads and now this bull?

LaSalle is in the same school district as Colerain, with St. X down the hill.. .there is no pillaging by these 2 schools.....THEY SHARE THE SAME KIDS....

Find me 3 Contain kids at Moeller and or Elder and I will say you are right.....

DonMagicRon 11-11-17 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Point (Post 6909801)
Have you been off your meds lately? Your angry post on the LS v. WW threads and now this bull?

LaSalle is in the same school district as Colerain, with St. X down the hill.. .there is no pillaging by these 2 schools.....THEY SHARE THE SAME KIDS....

Find me 3 Contain kids at Moeller and or Elder and I will say you are right.....

Sir I'm not in the least bit angry. I'm not pointing any fingers at the privates. It is what it is. And families have a choice. But Colerain doesn't cry about it. I wouldn't think there are too many West side suburb kids at Moeller (unless you consider Winton Woods and Princeton West side). But St. X, LaSalle and Elder have a lot of kids that opt to attend those schools from the Northwest School district.

rjewards 11-11-17 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James x2 (Post 6909778)
They have not scheduled or beaten the D-1 privates in the regular season have they? And to the best of my knowledge never had to beat one of those 5 to win a regional.Maybe they could but never had to.Either way Mentor and Colerain are head and shoulders above all others in this reguard.Even with their success both have taken their lumps in these matchups with members of the power 5.

Toledo st johns d1
Toledo central catholic d2
they have beaten these teams

warriorblue 11-11-17 06:52 PM

GOOD recruiting

fish82 11-11-17 07:00 PM

X, Elder and LS “pillaging” all those kids from the NWLSD...98% of whom have never even attended a day of school there.

Pretty dumb statement.

irish_buffalo 11-11-17 07:16 PM

Large and diverse districts that understand the importance of a good football program.

Whitmer is not in the Colerain/Mentor category but they are close. And districts are similar. The Whitmer district (Washington Local) is HUGE. House's in the district can sell for $600,000 and elsewhere they have section 8. Just about every race, culture, and creed, and have been blessed with district leadership that funds top notch facilities.

kaygee 12 11-11-17 07:49 PM

Dudes!

MentorGrad2002 11-11-17 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorblue (Post 6909819)
GOOD recruiting

Mentor lists all their teams junior highs in the program. They don't recruit at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krasula24 11-11-17 08:02 PM

Quote:

Yes they beat a pretty good Detroit Central Catholic team.

Krasula24 11-11-17 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjewards (Post 6909818)
Toledo st johns d1
Toledo central catholic d2
they have beaten these teams

lol St. Johns is D2 and DCC is D1 ;)

MentorGrad2002 11-11-17 08:04 PM

Mentor has played St Ignatius 13 years in a row in the regular season

Did a 2 gamer with Eds , X, Moeller in D1. Did one with Mooney and Ursuline in lower divisions.

So yeah it's a little different scheduling than Whitmer and others with he private schools ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluengold 11-11-17 09:19 PM

Quote:

Whitmer lost to Ignatius in the state semifinals in 1988 and 2011
Whitmer beat Mentor in the state semifinals in 2012

FormerWildcat 11-11-17 09:49 PM

The reality of the world is that you either have to beat the private schools, or beat the teams who have beaten the private schools to win it all one way or the other. So, to borrow a phrase, what difference does it make?

Vinegar 11-11-17 10:09 PM

Secret is history and tradition. Colerain and Mentor have been rolling for along time. And, they haven't misfired on a head coach. Mess that up once and you'll see some pressure. There is no lure of paying high tuition $$$ for great athletes that play football...when they have a great option in their back yard.

superduper 11-11-17 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James x2 (Post 6909751)
Congrats to both schools on their victories and regional final appearances.Both are facing D-1 privates Friday.Colerain /X......Mentor/ Ignatius.Both have scheduled privates in the regular season....and won.Both have beaten members of the Power 5(Iggy,Ed's,X,Moeller,Elder) in the playoffs this year and in the past.What do these schools do that the rest of the D-1 publics could learn from?It's gotta be something to have sustained success for this long.I didn't forget Wayne,Pickerington,Hilliard Davidson,Toledo Whittmer,etc,etc.It's just that these two schools never seem off the radar.

Neither beat Elder this year

CJSS 11-11-17 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMagicRon (Post 6909816)
Sir I'm not in the least bit angry. I'm not pointing any fingers at the privates. It is what it is. And families have a choice. But Colerain doesn't cry about it. I wouldn't think there are too many West side suburb kids at Moeller (unless you consider Winton Woods and Princeton West side). But St. X, LaSalle and Elder have a lot of kids that opt to attend those schools from the Northwest School district.

Colerain would be foolish to say anything because they do the EXACT same thing. Follow the #19 metro and see all the Cardinal football helmets boarding and unboarding at Hawaiian Ter, Knowltons Corner and Government Sq. Then you have the Skyline Acres kids on the Mt. Healthy side and the Steel Sub kids. That is a big reason why many of those young men leave Colerain. In all honesty, if i was a wide receiver playing for the Little Cards, I’d be looking for a different high school to play at.

Vinegar 11-11-17 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSS (Post 6910050)
Colerain would be foolish to say anything because they do the EXACT same thing. Follow the #19 metro and see all the Cardinal football helmets boarding and unboarding at Hawaiian Ter, Knowltons Corner and Government Sq. Then you have the Skyline Acres kids on the Mt. Healthy side and the Steel Sub kids. That is a big reason why many of those young men leave Colerain. In all honesty, if i was a wide receiver playing for the Little Cards, I’d be looking for a different high school to play at.

Colerain = CPS West!

DonMagicRon 11-11-17 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSS (Post 6910050)

You make an excellent point. Its you're right concerning football but have you ever wandered why Colerain is so bad in other sports. Because those kids go to St. X, Elder and LaSalle.

SuperD1 11-11-17 10:34 PM

Wow, the public school whining is running thick this week.

SuperD1 11-11-17 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinegar (Post 6910042)
Secret is history and tradition. Colerain and Mentor have been rolling for along time. And, they haven't misfired on a head coach. Mess that up once and you'll see some pressure. There is no lure of paying high tuition $$$ for great athletes that play football...when they have a great option in their back yard.

Great teams win. Titles between Mentor and Colerain again?
And tuition is not high at any of the big five private schools unless you’re flipping burgers at Smashburger.

cabezadecaballo 11-11-17 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperD1 (Post 6910088)
Great teams win. Titles between Mentor and Colerain again?
And tuition is not high at any of the big five private schools unless you’re flipping burgers at Smashburger.

Do you like those rosemary and olive oil fries ? I think they should be thicker. The flavor is good, though. They just get cold too quickly.