Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Professional Basketball (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   NBA Discussion (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297126)

cabezadecaballo 11-15-16 12:44 PM

NBA Discussion
 
A generic title, but I wanted to start it for a specific topic - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ut-stars-posse

http://fox8.com/2016/11/15/lebron-ja...osse-comments/

The audio of Lebron being questioned for a reaction to Jackson's comments is awesome. He basically hands Phil his azz. Knicks' future free agent prices just went up 15% :laugh:

joesports 11-15-16 01:38 PM

I watched the Clippers the other day ... they looked really good. Maybe, just maybe there could be someone else besides GS coming out of the West?

cabezadecaballo 11-15-16 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesports (Post 6625014)
I watched the Clippers the other day ... they looked really good. Maybe, just maybe there could be someone else besides GS coming out of the West?

Spurs

What do you think of the thought of the Warriors getting rid of Klay Thompson ? Seems like they would have to be blowing up their "go small" model to dump such a good perimeter defender.

eastisbest 11-15-16 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo (Post 6624936)
A generic title, but I wanted to start it for a specific topic - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ut-stars-posse

http://fox8.com/2016/11/15/lebron-ja...osse-comments/

The audio of Lebron being questioned for a reaction to Jackson's comments is awesome. He basically hands Phil his azz. Knicks' future free agent prices just went up 15% :laugh:


So I decided to google "Labron" and "posse," setting the search time to no later than a couple months ago in order to filter out references to Jackson. Care to guess how many hits I got, of people referring to him and his "posse" with no complaint from Labron or his familiars? ESPN, Huffington...... There were other articles referred to his "entourage."

So, why the attack on Jackson? "Posse" is a fairly common word for a group of friends or associates. Hardly a race thing. Labron race baiting? He's sunk that low?

tallmadge H2 dad 11-15-16 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastisbest (Post 6625250)
So I decided to google "Labron" and "posse," setting the search time to no later than a couple months ago in order to filter out references to Jackson. Care to guess how many hits I got, of people referring to him and his "posse" with no complaint from Labron or his familiars? ESPN, Huffington...... There were other articles referred to his "entourage."

So, why the attack on Jackson? "Posse" is a fairly common word for a group of friends or associates. Hardly a race thing. Labron race baiting? He's sunk that low?

Posse is ghetto slang. Entourage is not. And yes posse is used to describe African American "thugs". It was a poor choice of words on Jacksons part.

Jim Lahey 11-15-16 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesports (Post 6625014)
I watched the Clippers the other day ... they looked really good. Maybe, just maybe there could be someone else besides GS coming out of the West?

Don't think so. They need an NBA average 3 and Blake and Deandre shooting free throws in the clutch isn't a good thing.

cabezadecaballo 11-15-16 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastisbest (Post 6625250)
So I decided to google "Labron" and "posse," setting the search time to no later than a couple months ago in order to filter out references to Jackson. Care to guess how many hits I got, of people referring to him and his "posse" with no complaint from Labron or his familiars? ESPN, Huffington...... There were other articles referred to his "entourage."

So, why the attack on Jackson? "Posse" is a fairly common word for a group of friends or associates. Hardly a race thing. Labron race baiting? He's sunk that low?

Notice how nobody is talking about how demanding Lebron can be ? :D Jackson got to talking out of school. Remember the Zenmaster's courtside throne ? Phil was a little demanding in his own right.

Jim Lahey 11-15-16 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo (Post 6625020)
Spurs

What do you think of the thought of the Warriors getting rid of Klay Thompson ? Seems like they would have to be blowing up their "go small" model to dump such a good perimeter defender.

It really depends on who they get back. They can still go small with Steph, Iggy, Durant, Green and Bradley if the trade rumors with Boston are any true. Heck even running Steph, Crowder, Iggy, Durant and Green could still be considered small. But I don't see it happening, it wouldn't be smart for them to give up on it already.

eastisbest 11-15-16 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad (Post 6625385)
Posse is ghetto slang. Entourage is not. And yes posse is used to describe African American "thugs". It was a poor choice of words on Jacksons part.


A Lot of words are used for a lot of reasons, including "posse." Is this yet another word, only a certain demographic is permitted to use?

As I posted, there are many instances, easily googled, of the word used to refer to Labron's group of friends and associates, by major outlets, previous to this, with no complaint from Labron's camp (oops, is that "ghetto slang?"). So why now the complaint?

How hard do you think it will be for someone with journalistic resources to find a quote from Labron where he refers to his own friends as his "posse?"

I can name any number of people, "race" not relevant who use that word to refer to their friends and associates. Anyone tried to tell me I can't use it because I'm wrong race or referring to someone of the "wrong" race, f them, no matter what color they are.

cabezadecaballo 11-15-16 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Lahey (Post 6625420)
It really depends on who they get back. They can still go small with Steph, Iggy, Durant, Green and Bradley if the trade rumors with Boston are any true. Heck even running Steph, Crowder, Iggy, Durant and Green could still be considered small. But I don't see it happening, it wouldn't be smart for them to give up on it already.

I agree.

I thought that was you, Kemp Underwood

cabezadecaballo 11-15-16 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastisbest (Post 6625470)
A Lot of words are used for a lot of reasons, including "posse." Is this yet another word, only a certain demographic is permitted to use?

As I posted, there are many instances, easily googled, of the word used to refer to Labron's group of friends and associates, by major outlets, previous to this, with no complaint from Labron's camp (oops, is that "ghetto slang?"). So why now the complaint?

How hard do you think it will be for someone with journalistic resources to find a quote from Labron where he refers to his own friends as his "posse?"

I can name any number of people, "race" not relevant who use that word to refer to their friends and associates. Anyone tried to tell me I can't use it because I'm wrong race or referring to someone of the "wrong" race, f them, no matter what color they are.

Yeah, people will joke about a "Twitter posse", or "runnin' with the posse", but it usually seems to have some mock-menacing connotations. I think it goes back to some punks that called themselves the Spur Posse, and not long thereafter the "wilding" kids harassing and even raping women in parks and such used the word "posse" to describe themselves.

eastisbest 11-16-16 04:37 AM

Which goes to "a lot of words used for a lot of reasons" but no feelers for why this is a big deal to him now but not so much when used for publicity in several articles, previous.


If this word is so offensive to him, he has had many opportunities to call it out previously. Someone challenges him so he pulls an expired race card? That's weak.

tallmadge H2 dad 11-16-16 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastisbest (Post 6625607)
Which goes to "a lot of words used for a lot of reasons" but no feelers for why this is a big deal to him now but not so much when used for publicity in several articles, previous.


If this word is so offensive to him, he has had many opportunities to call it out previously. Someone challenges him so he pulls an expired race card? That's weak.

Actually, Pat Riley used the term posse back in around 2012 and LeBron took issue then too.

Jim Lahey 11-16-16 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo (Post 6625509)
I agree.

Remember, when super teams form like this, it rarely works out the first year. Celtics are the only recent super team to win it in their first year together, I believe.

cabezadecaballo 11-16-16 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Lahey (Post 6625680)
Remember, when super teams form like this, it rarely works out the first year. Celtics are the only recent super team to win it in their first year together, I believe.

With a guy to whom scoring is an afterthought bringing the ball up the floor in Rajon Rondo. That makes balance much more easily achieved.

cabezadecaballo 11-16-16 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastisbest (Post 6625607)
Which goes to "a lot of words used for a lot of reasons" but no feelers for why this is a big deal to him now but not so much when used for publicity in several articles, previous.


If this word is so offensive to him, he has had many opportunities to call it out previously. Someone challenges him so he pulls an expired race card? That's weak.

But the spotlight is off Lebron's demanding nature, isn't it ?

More personal accommodations and planning go into the "maintenance" of Lebron and his entourage than go to all the rest of the team. When guys like Riley and Jackson have won with the likes of Magic and Kareem, Jordan, Kobe and Shaq, and then see a guy that may or may not be the equal of any one of them garner more special attention than did all of the players I mentioned combined, it probably gets under their skin a little.

eastisbest 11-16-16 08:55 AM

They've all kind of earned their place. Interesting this back-biting. Maybe Magic will chime in on what a "racist" Jackson and Riley are?

Labron is way off here, coming off immature. A simple comment that the word can be interpreted in an undesirable way, please don't use it, would have solved the problem a lot quicker than a hissy-fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad (Post 6625657)
Actually, Pat Riley used the term posse back in around 2012 and LeBron took issue then too.


Maybe his issue is just with them, Riley and Jackson? IF so, this would be an extremely cheap ploy that demeans real objections. There are plenty of legitimate ones going around that do not need be derailed by this silliness. Because I've not found any objection raised by him when it was used by publicity articles or colleagues. Maybe that challenge will be raised by someone and he'll have a reasoned response as to why he didn't raise an objection or maybe didn't object?

joesports 11-16-16 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo (Post 6625020)
Spurs

What do you think of the thought of the Warriors getting rid of Klay Thompson ? Seems like they would have to be blowing up their "go small" model to dump such a good perimeter defender.

I would not do it right now, but if they could get a really good big in return (Cousins?) I would think about it.

To me they got better at what they were already really good at and don't have the balance needed. What makes the Cavs so hard to defend is they have both an inside threat with LBJ and Kyrie's drives and an outside threat with all their 3 point shooters. GS inside threats are limited, so if they are having an off night from 3 land, they can struggle.

Jim Lahey 11-16-16 10:16 AM

Boogie would be a bad fit for the Warriors.

joesports 11-16-16 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Lahey (Post 6625835)
Boogie would be a bad fit for the Warriors.

He will be a bad fit on any team until he gets an attitude fix, but just maybe surrounding him with good attitudes like GS has could make him and them unstoppable.

Jim Lahey 11-16-16 10:59 AM

Boogie is a bad fit scheme wise.

14Red 11-16-16 11:53 AM

In the childish "take your ball and go home" mode, the Bucks, Grizzlies and Mavericks are all boycotting staying at any Trump affiliated Hotels on road trips.

Really?? Really?? At what point do you just accept a decision that was made by the American people and just live your life?? SMH.

Jim Lahey 11-16-16 12:07 PM

How is that "take your ball and go home" mode?

bedevil 11-16-16 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14Red (Post 6625977)
In the childish "take your ball and go home" mode, the Bucks, Grizzlies and Mavericks are all boycotting staying at any Trump affiliated Hotels on road trips.

Really?? Really?? At what point do you just accept a decision that was made by the American people and just live your life?? SMH.

But it was OK when Trump called for the boycott of Macy's, Apple, Fox News and Starbucks, right?

eastisbest 11-16-16 10:50 PM

a quick google shows the usual contradictions. Easy to find articles blasting his hiring stats. Not too difficult to find minorities in his employ writing glowing things about the Trump family. Another case of his mouth over-shadowing his actions and causing mis-representation. It's still on him to fix.

I don't blame the players. It's the right consumerist action to take, given their opinion on the matter. if you don't believe in the policies of a business, individual boycott is putting your money where your mouth is.

Michael Bluth 11-17-16 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14Red (Post 6625977)
In the childish "take your ball and go home" mode, the Bucks, Grizzlies and Mavericks are all boycotting staying at any Trump affiliated Hotels on road trips.

Really?? Really?? At what point do you just accept a decision that was made by the American people and just live your life?? SMH.

Not surprising from the Mavs. Cuban hates Trump

Raymo 12-03-16 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bluth (Post 6626827)
Not surprising from the Mavs. Cuban hates Trump

So does half of America...BAM! :thumb:

cabezadecaballo 12-06-16 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bluth (Post 6626827)
Not surprising from the Mavs. Cuban hates Trump

Is Trump supporting a position on "net neutrality" that will affect Cuban's real business adversely, is Cuban "just sucking up to the cool kids" on his team as the jock-sniffer he is, or do you think it's a more broad-based disdain ?

cabezadecaballo 12-06-16 09:57 AM

A few Cavs players are refusing to stay at the Trump Hotel now. It was stated on a radio show here that Trump in no way profits directly from this hotel. He sold it. These guys are protesting against a name only :Ohno:

14Red 12-06-16 01:56 PM

So do they sleep on the team bus?? I mean how childish is this. It's the typical liberal response, pout and throw tantrums. I suppose we may see these players feeling "bullied" into staying a these luxury hotels??


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.