Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Elder Panthers (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   2018 Football (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307441)

Descartes 10-29-17 12:52 PM

2018 Football

Let's get it started... This team will be good if they stay healthy

QB- Bitter
RB- Massminster
FB- Wainscott
WR- Trischler, Perry, Royer
TE- Keys

LT- James
LG-Ginn
C-Finley
RG-Mullaney
RT-Kandra

DE- Bono
NG- Tolbert
DE- Klingebeck/Smith

OLB- Austing, Barret
ILB- Perdue, ?

CB- Beck, Seeger
Rover- O'Brien
FS- Pastoriza

scotty99 10-30-17 07:01 PM

2018 breakdown
QB- Bittner will be the full time starter. Luebbe is likely the backup
RB- Massminster will take the bulk of the carries. He could play linebacker but the younger guys (Catania, Johnson, Deters) would have to step up if that were to happen.
FB- Wainscott. Not sure who backs him up
TE- Royer should start. Similar to Broxterman and should be a good receiver. Barret, Keyes, and Larkins could be in the mix here
Wrs- Trishler in the slot. Perry and O'Conner on the outside. Not sure about the jv receivers but I know the frosh Pohlman and Wandstrat are pretty good.
OL- James is a lock a LT. Finley and Mullaney will compete for center. Kandra is likely the RT. Not quite sure about the guards. others include Ginn, Smith, Tolbert, Gramke, Feldman, Oliver (fr), and Beckenhaupt (fr).

DL- Bono and Klingenbeck will both start. Barret could play some DE/LB. Tolbert could replace Slocum as a 300 lb NG. Carter Smith could play some if he doesn't start on the oline. Larkins could possibly play if they move him to DE. others include Voelkerding, #98 on jv (name?). I could see the 2 frosh DE's (#81 and #59) dressing varsity.
LB- Hofmeyer and Freddy Mazza will probably start on the inside. Tucker (Fr) will probably back them up. OLBs will be Austing and Pastoriza. Bischoff, Conners, and possibly even Barret or Keyes could get looks here.
DB- Beck and Obrien will be at safety. Thaman will be in the mix at SS. Dailey and Seger are likely the cornerbacks. Taylor (sr) and Deters are also in the mix. Sabato the frosh is very fast but too small for varsity next year. could maybe get in on special teams.
K-Ammon/Harmeyer.

Fair&Balanced 10-31-17 05:59 PM

Paul Moore and Brady Buller from JV will have a chance at ends....big bodies that are varsity ready. Those freshmen don't have the bulk and the strength needed.

Descartes 10-31-17 06:18 PM

Is Smith being looked at as a DT or DE?

Fair&Balanced 10-31-17 09:09 PM

He has never played on the defensive line...not sure he is being considered for anything but guard....not sure....he will get bigger over the next two years.....245 now.

Descartes 10-31-17 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced (Post 6894207)
Paul Moore and Brady Buller from JV will have a chance at ends....big bodies that are varsity ready. Those freshmen don't have the bulk and the strength needed.

I still think Larkins would be a great DE. He's already has the size and hand eye coordination, just needs to add weight. He's a great WR/TE, but he can have a much larger impact at a DE. Elder has an endless supply of solid WRs. Even on the Frosh team, Nieman was basically the same type of player. If you can get him to 230-240 lbs at 6-4, he could be a real difference maker.

Descartes 11-05-17 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty99 (Post 6892834)
2018 breakdown
QB- Bittner will be the full time starter. Luebbe is likely the backup
RB- Massminster will take the bulk of the carries. He could play linebacker but the younger guys (Catania, Johnson, Deters) would have to step up if that were to happen.
FB- Wainscott. Not sure who backs him up
TE- Royer should start. Similar to Broxterman and should be a good receiver. Barret, Keyes, and Larkins could be in the mix here
Wrs- Trishler in the slot. Perry and O'Conner on the outside. Not sure about the jv receivers but I know the frosh Pohlman and Wandstrat are pretty good.
OL- James is a lock a LT. Finley and Mullaney will compete for center. Kandra is likely the RT. Not quite sure about the guards. others include Ginn, Smith, Tolbert, Gramke, Feldman, Oliver (fr), and Beckenhaupt (fr).

DL- Bono and Klingenbeck will both start. Barret could play some DE/LB. Tolbert could replace Slocum as a 300 lb NG. Carter Smith could play some if he doesn't start on the oline. Larkins could possibly play if they move him to DE. others include Voelkerding, #98 on jv (name?). I could see the 2 frosh DE's (#81 and #59) dressing varsity.
LB- Hofmeyer and Freddy Mazza will probably start on the inside. Tucker (Fr) will probably back them up. OLBs will be Austing and Pastoriza. Bischoff, Conners, and possibly even Barret or Keyes could get looks here.
DB- Beck and Obrien will be at safety. Thaman will be in the mix at SS. Dailey and Seger are likely the cornerbacks. Taylor (sr) and Deters are also in the mix. Sabato the frosh is very fast but too small for varsity next year. could maybe get in on special teams.
K-Ammon/Harmeyer.

Mazza will need to bulk up considerably to start at ILB. Not impossible, but I think either Austing slides inside or you give a Soph like Tucker a look.

scotty99 11-05-17 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descartes (Post 6902100)
Mazza will need to bulk up considerably to start at ILB. Not impossible, but I think either Austing slides inside or you give a Soph like Tucker a look.

They could move Massminster there. He played some LB early on in the scrimmages. But like I said before, the younger backs would really have to step up if that happened.

Spille 11-05-17 08:37 PM

How many starters return?

Descartes 11-05-17 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty99 (Post 6902364)
They could move Massminster there. He played some LB early on in the scrimmages. But like I said before, the younger backs would really have to step up if that happened.

I think he's too valuable at RB. He had a solid season before Mazza came back.

Descartes 11-05-17 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spille (Post 6902431)
How many starters return?

By my count, 12

Offense: Bittner, Massminster, Trischler, Perry, Wainscott, James, Finley (7)

Defense: Bono, Klingebeck, Hoffmeyer, Beck, O'Brien (5)

trey2k 11-06-17 08:06 AM

They have a chance to make some noise next year and legitimately contend for the GCL title, and a deep playoff run.

EagleFan 12-01-17 02:24 PM

The schedule?

CHS~Irish 12-05-17 07:48 AM

I look forward to seeing the Cincinnati Elder Panthers on August 31 2018 against my Indianapolis Cathedral Fighting Irish! The game next year will be played in Indianapolis (I am not sure at what stadium yet but I am hoping it is at Arsenal Tech). I hope the series continues the following year so I can visit The PIT again, and I hope the series continues for many more years. Look forward to chatting with Panther fans next year closer to the game!

adselder09 12-05-17 08:20 AM

If that's true, then it indeed looks like the Showdown is done. Can't imagine Elder would skip out on that if it was available.

Descartes 12-05-17 09:12 AM

Happy to get Cathedral on the schedule, not happy about the Showdown being done.

Fair&Balanced 12-05-17 05:02 PM

I told you it was done back in August. Too many demands from teams and the NCAA thing was the last straw for Tom Gamble.....All things come to an end.

Descartes 12-05-17 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced (Post 6936492)
I told you it was done back in August. Too many demands from teams and the NCAA thing was the last straw for Tom Gamble.....All things come to an end.

There were rumors, but nothing official. I'm hardly sentimental, but I'll miss the Showdown.

typeman 12-05-17 07:32 PM

I heard a rumor that Oak Hills is OFF the schedule this year. Anyone else hear this?

Descartes 12-05-17 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by typeman (Post 6936597)
I heard a rumor that Oak Hills is OFF the schedule this year. Anyone else hear this?

Someone else asked me about that today, there must be something behind the rumor. Probably for the best of E can find a marginally decent team as a replacement, OH is going to be even worse next year.

Vincent and Regina 12-05-17 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adselder09 (Post 6935967)
If that's true, then it indeed looks like the Showdown is done. Can't imagine Elder would skip out on that if it was available.

One of two rumors are true. Either the Showdown is done or Oak Hills is off the schedule. This year week 2 was played on September 2nd. If you remember That game was suppose to be September 1st, but got moved for "rain". In years past the season has started on August 24th, making week 2 August 31st, as happened in 2012. 2011 started on August 19th, 2008 started on August 23rd, so I am thinking this is a week 2 game meaning the Oak Hills game is done because of the GMC 8 game schedule.

In 2009 the season didn't start till August 29th, so It could be the showdown too.

Cathedral is a good team. They are sort of in the same boat Elder is in, they need to travel to get games. This year they went to Louisville, Detroit, and Columbus before playing a game in Indy. They also came to Cincy twice to play X and Ryle. Indiana usually starts a week before Ohio so this would probably be game 3 for them. My boss's kids went to Cathedral, so I keep an eye on them.

Week 1 is August 24, 2018 http://ohsaa.org/OpenDates#2018

PURPLE REIGN 12-05-17 09:29 PM

OH wants the game to continue b/c of the $$$$ they make from the home game. However, missing the playoff's this year has Elder exploring other options.

The reality is, if OH would win a couple games, Elder would be glad to continue scheduling a home & home with a local opponent. IMO the game is important to the fans and I'd like to see it continue but Elder may have decided to move on.

As for the showdown, it's not going to exist in the format we all came to expect but Gamble has a great relationship with Elder. If Gamble is going to put something together, Elder wants to be part of it unless a local school like Milford/Springboro offer to start a series with Elder for the same week.

Vincent and Regina 12-05-17 09:33 PM

Well the more you read the more you know.
Quote:

Oak Hills High School (Cincinnati) is looking for a week 2 Varsity Football opponent for 2018 and beyond. If interested, please contact Director of Athletics Tony Hemmelgarn at hemmelgarn_t@ohlsd.org or (513) 467-7106.
From the OHSAA website.

St.X fan2 12-05-17 09:40 PM

There was a thread in the main football forum back in September saying that the Showdown event was ending this year after 20 years. There was also talk in the St.X forum that it is over.

Vincent and Regina 12-05-17 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St.X fan2 (Post 6936714)
There was a thread in the main football forum back in September saying that the Showdown event was ending this year after 20 years. There was also talk in the St.X forum that it is over.

If my memory serves me correct similar events were going at Michigan, Wayne State, and Syracuse. The showdown got on it and moved the games right away. The rest of the games were allowed to be played at the college stadiums. So I don't know if Gamble is ending it or keeping it going.

Descartes 12-06-17 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina (Post 6936710)
Well the more you read the more you know.

From the OHSAA website.

Honestly, there's a good chance they go winless again. Prosser is a good coach, loyal to the Program and even he can't get the culture fixed.

voiceoreaso 12-06-17 09:40 AM

Oak Hills was officially dropped the week of Thanksgiving. Cathedral is a great game to pick up

Descartes 12-06-17 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoreaso (Post 6936970)
Oak Hills was officially dropped the week of Thanksgiving. Cathedral is a great game to pick up

If I understand correctly, this is the current schedule:

@Cath
Open
Lincoln
Eds
@Ignatius
X
@Moe
WW
Open
LS

I know it won't be the popular opinion, but if they can get a 5-6 win team for Week 2, I'd leave it at 9 games for this year.

Vincent and Regina 12-06-17 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descartes (Post 6937019)
If I understand correctly, this is the current schedule:

@Cath
Open
Lincoln
Eds
@Ignatius
X
@Moe
WW
Open
LS

I know it won't be the popular opinion, but if they can get a 5-6 win team for Week 2, I'd leave it at 9 games for this year.

They are playing Cathedral Week 2.

Descartes 12-06-17 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina (Post 6937464)
They are playing Cathedral Week 2.

Then the end of the showdown has me worried. The majority of the time that was one Elder's "easier" games. Going to be a real challenge to get a GMC team Week 1.