Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Yappsters and their religious practice (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300844)

CatAlum 03-14-17 12:16 PM

Yappsters and their religious practice

Describe your current religious practice. Yappsters answers won't be revealed.

Definitions..."regular church go-er"...once a month at least.
"Infrequent"...High holy days only (e.g., Christmas/Easter) or a handful of times per year or I don't go at all.

You can check more than one if more than one applies to you.

eastside_purple 03-14-17 12:20 PM

Devout

Arrogate 03-14-17 12:20 PM

Raised Catholic

Haven't been to church in years. Only get Mondays off

Descartes 03-14-17 12:33 PM

Scientology. Hail Galactic overlord Xenou.

Sig Hansen 03-14-17 12:36 PM

Kifflom!

Crusaders 03-14-17 01:01 PM

Allahu Akbar!

Raider6309 03-14-17 01:09 PM

I was born into a secular household. My girlfriend and her family are catholic. I tend to go to church with her regular

Neopolitan 03-14-17 01:21 PM

Not superstitious

TroyTrojan05 03-14-17 01:33 PM

Agnostic

EastYoungstown 03-14-17 01:40 PM

How bout none?

I haven't 'practiced' any kind of religion in over 25 years.

zeeman 03-14-17 02:18 PM

Christian. Was raised a Catholic but am non denominational now. I still very much believe in God, just no so much in churches.

ronnie mund 03-14-17 02:22 PM

Agnostic.

CatAlum 03-14-17 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastYoungstown (Post 6726499)
How bout none?

I haven't 'practiced' any kind of religion in over 25 years.

You could check "other".

Michael Bluth 03-14-17 04:07 PM

Checked three different boxes:

Protestant background (mom's side and where we went to church as kids), Catholic background (dad's side and high school), Agnostic (my current views).

Probably should have selected 'other religion' as well since I align with certain aspects of Buddhism

Possessed 03-14-17 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bluth (Post 6726616)
Checked three different boxes:

Protestant background (mom's side and where we went to church as kids), Catholic background (dad's side and high school), Agnostic (my current views).

Probably should have selected 'other religion' as well since I align with certain aspects of Buddhism

Phew. Man are you mixed up. :laugh:

Possessed 03-14-17 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeeman (Post 6726533)
Christian. Was raised a Catholic but am non denominational now. I still very much believe in God, just no so much in churches.

Ditto.

lotr10 03-14-17 04:59 PM

Currently Agnostic but am open minded on the topic. Fence sitting is an appropriate strategy here IMO.

Raised & confirmed as a Catholic. Very infrequent church goer (weddings, funerals, baptisms & once in while Christmas - when forced)

To strengthen my fence sitting opportunities I'm a "godfather" in the Catholic faith a dozen times. I've also been "Godfather" (or God PARENT) for Lutherans and a couple of other Protestant sects.

BlackHawk 03-14-17 05:27 PM

Atheist/Agnostic.

I don't believe a god exists, but I don't know for sure.

I was raised and confirmed Catholic, with twelve years of Catholic school. I will still attend Catholic/Christian/religious weddings, funerals, etc., of course.

Purplemojo 03-14-17 06:29 PM

I guess I am kinda spoiled. Born and raised Roman Catholic, I love my faith, I love my parish, I love the building in which I usually worship and I love my pastor. I attend many events at other faith communities, due to my very diverse family and friends. I have close relatives who are protestant and Jewish and have worshiped with all of them. I am also often involved in ecumenical activities and non-denominational services with military chaplains. Praise the Lord!

CatAlum 03-14-17 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purplemojo (Post 6726724)
I guess I am kinda spoiled. Born and raised Roman Catholic, I love my faith, I love my parish, I love the building in which I usually worship and I love my pastor. I attend many events at other faith communities, due to my very diverse family and friends. I have close relatives who are protestant and Jewish and have worshiped with all of them. I am also often involved in ecumenical activities and non-denominational services with military chaplains. Praise the Lord!

Similar. We're active in a very economically diverse, gorgeous old church in a tough part of town. My sense is that it's politically diverse as well (though politics are never discussed from the pulpit, not even hinted at). I find that we have a lot in common with observant Jews, and actively practicing people of other Christian religions. Our pastor is excellent...formerly worked in the missions in Central America AND a military chaplain for many years. That covers a lot of ground!

vamp2syd 03-14-17 07:01 PM

Sacred Geometry

Uncle Ted 03-14-17 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHawk (Post 6726683)
Atheist/Agnostic.

I was raised and confirmed Catholic, with twelve years of Catholic school. I will still attend Catholic/Christian/religious weddings, funerals, etc., of course.

Do you debate the attendees religious beliefs while attending?

BlueJayFan 03-14-17 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHawk (Post 6726683)
Atheist/Agnostic.

Ditto

PantherVOR 03-14-17 07:38 PM

I practiced religion for over 30 years without getting any better, I've decided to start practicing golf instead........ :D

clarkgriswold 03-14-17 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PantherVOR (Post 6726768)
I practiced religion for over 30 years without getting any better, I've decided to start practicing golf instead........ :D

I often use the Lord's name while golfing.

Michael Bluth 03-14-17 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possessed (Post 6726648)
Phew. Man are you mixed up. :laugh:

More like I pick and choose aspects of different religions which I like. At the end of the day, I'm not religious at all, but I don't judge anyone for their own beliefs. Whatever gets you through the day

OhioBobcatFan06 03-14-17 08:44 PM

I'm a member of the breakaway sect that believes Elder should leave the archdiocese.

Call me whatever you please.

ronnie mund 03-14-17 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vamp2syd (Post 6726746)
Sacred Geometry

Are you familiar with Randall Carlson?

ronnie mund 03-14-17 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bluth (Post 6726835)
More like I pick and choose aspects of different religions which I like. At the end of the day, I'm not religious at all, but I don't judge anyone for their own beliefs. Whatever gets you through the day

Same here. Sticking with one religion is limiting yourself, IMO.

TroyTrojan05 03-14-17 09:14 PM

My wife and I are raising our children to be good people first and foremost. Like others have said, we don't look down on anyone for their religious beliefs and we accept anyone who is a good person regardless of faith. Once our children are old enough, they can decide for themselves what they want to be. For now, they are non religious. There are so many great aspects of all different religions both culturally and religiously. We just don't believe in anything. Or in other words are unsure, hence being agnostic.