YSU Football HC Replacing Pelini

SOURCES: Youngstown State plans to hire Univ. of Cincinnati RB coach Doug Phillips as its new head football coach. Phillips is a native of the area and started his coaching career at YSU under Jim Tressel.

From Zac Jackson on Twitter.

https://gobearcats.com/staff-directory/doug-phillips/363 -- link to his bio at cincy

was a high school administrator for awhile there.. not sure what to make of it

^^^ I remember him telling my father and I he was leaving Salem for Ohio State. We thought he was full of crap. Found out a few weeks later he wasn't. Interesting career from HS coach to administrator and then back into coaching.

I would like to see the guy from UC get the job. I don't think Tyrell would be that bad of a hire. He does have experience at YSU. I would like to see him come in as an assistant if he doesn't get the job. But Tyrell being compared to the guy from UNLV is not fair. Tyrell coaches against Ohio teams not Nevada. The football is just a little tougher here. He also coaches against team like Iggy and Massillon which have a lot of resources and are difficult to beat, so he has to be able to coach. But coaching in the league YSU is in is not easy. Pelini did a lot better as BIG 10 coach than he did in the MVC. A high school coach would be a huge jump.

I don't think the sources were bad. I think there's an AD/Head Coach at Hoban this morning with egg on his face.

Why? He applied for a job, was a finalist and, in the end, did not get the job. He was forthcoming and transparent with his current players and families during the process.

This whole thing is pretty odd. Wednesday a friend of mine, who is a former star player and very, very connected to the program texted and said it was going to be Tyrell he was going to be introduced to the players if not announced that day. Asked him about it now and he said "things happened". So whatever that means.

Politics came into play is what I heard. Terrell knew this in advance and still made it to the final 2. Hope it works out for all and YSU.

This whole thing is pretty odd. Wednesday a friend of mine, who is a former star player and very, very connected to the program texted and said it was going to be Tyrell he was going to be introduced to the players if not announced that day. Asked him about it now and he said "things happened". So whatever that means.
Big Money Bob Sebo happened

Info was good but it was the politics behind the scene that blew this up. Tyrrell was the pick, but negotiations on salary and the funds for staff blew this up. He was to be introduced to the team Wed. Tressel was in Fla staying with a wealthy booster when he found out about salary demands and staff money pool demands. Tressel called Strollo to cancel the player meeting and contact Phillips with an understanding he would take the job for xxx bucks. He agreed. The booster was promoting Phillips who was a former HC at Salem and close friend of the booster. Tressel controls Strollo who couldn’t find his butt in an outhouse. This was ALL about money and the cheapskates. The goal was to hire a cheap coach. The program is in trouble, but has been for years.

Last edited:
Info was good but it was the politics behind the scene that blew this up. Tyrrell was the pick, but negotiations on salary and the funds for staff blew this up. He was to be introduced to the team Wed. Tressel was in Fla staying with a wealthy booster when he found out about salary demands and staff money pool demands. Tressel called Strollo to cancel the player meeting and contact Phillips with an understanding he would take the job for xxx bucks. He agreed. The booster was promoting Phillips who was a former HC at Salem and close friend of the booster. Tressel controls Strollo who couldn’t find his butt in an outhouse. This was ALL about money and the cheapskates. The goal was to hire a cheap coach. The program is in trouble, but has been for years.

Please. You're saying a high school coach who wants to be a college head coach starts making outrageous salary demands and sabotages the only chance he'll get to go from high school staight to college? Riiiiight, I believe you.

Better yet, another source says Phillips was not in the final 3, Tressel was with a wealthy booster in Fla when he pulled the plug on TT. The booster was making a significant gift to YSU and wanted long time friend Phillips. Tressel called Ytown and the rest is history.

Outrageous demands, no. The rumor on another board says staff will be made up of grad assists and young guys from Iowa St and U. Cincy. Translation - cheap staff. We will soon see.

Better yet, another source says Phillips was not in the final 3, Tressel was with a wealthy booster in Fla when he pulled the plug on TT. The booster was making a significant gift to YSU and wanted long time friend Phillips. Tressel called Ytown and the rest is history.

Outrageous demands, no. The rumor on another board says staff will be made up of grad assists and young guys from Iowa St and U. Cincy. Translation - cheap staff. We will soon see.
Well captain obvious, thanks for the incredible insights into where the assistants will come from. Very surprising that the new coach would take guys that he's worked with in the past. WOW. Stop the presses.

Pelin was a low energy coach who thought YSU was so beneath him. This hire is just what the program needs. I hope he does go with a staff of newcomers with something to prove. New energy, good recruiters, who can build an us against the world Y-Town football team and win!

I wonder how knowing that TT is looking to move on will affect future recruits? Kids might opt to "stay home" knowing that the coach might not be there much longer.

I wonder how knowing that TT is looking to move on will affect future recruits? Kids might opt to "stay home" knowing that the coach might not be there much longer.
I don't think he was looking to leave as much as it was just a really unique opportunity considering his long football history in Youngstown, with YSU and with Tressel.