YSU Football HC Replacing Pelini

Tyrrell has strong YSU ties as a penguin alumni and Ursuline grad. Prior to Hoban he was a successful coach at Chaminade In Florida. Tim is a very good recruiter and has built the top 1 or 2 high school program in Ohio. His teams have been consistently crushing the likes of Mooney & Ursuline for the past few seasons. He is young has a solid work ethic, a fierce competitor and was born to sell a program, recruit and close the deal. He is not a retread and offers young energy and could assemble a fine staff. He has accomplished all he can at the high school level (4 consecutive State Titles). He runs a college level program and is ready to take the next step. Tressel had a hand in TT being hired at Hoban. The apprenticeship is over in Akron time to move into Stambaugh and lead the Penguins.

Last edited:
You guys can put as much lipstick on this pig as you want. Hiring a high school coach for a FCS school is embarrassing and a pig. It shows how little people feel about YSU now. It is sad to see how the great program has become a joke and second class program in their own conference let alone the national level.

You guys can put as much lipstick on this pig as you want. Hiring a high school coach for a FCS school is embarrassing and a pig. It shows how little people feel about YSU now. It is sad to see how the great program has become a joke and second class program in their own conference let alone the national level.
Honestly who did you think you would get? This YSU is not the YSU of days gone by. Coaches can see what they have to work with and you will not be able to attract another Tressel here again. The rise of the MAC teams and their visibility on T.V. and the decline in local population means that recruiting here is difficult. The salaries for assistants at bigger D1 schools make it much easier to stay and wait out more desirable head coaching jobs. Hell, even off field "analysts" make big money now. Hiring a HS coach might not be ideal but at least he is hungry and actually wants the job.

Is Reed on the Blutarsky college plan? His YSU bio says he was at Florida from 2014-2016. His eligibility has to be done.

That's a great question. Even considering a redshirt year in 2014 and a medical redshirt in 2018 that leaves 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019 as playing years. Not sure how he has another year to play.

Do not underestimate Coach T. While I posted earlier that I thought Montegomery (sorry if spelling wrong), would be good, I am definitely not counting Tyrrell out. His network across the country is big. You don't have a weight room in the spring of 2015 packed with college coaches looking at players if you don't have a network. Heavy connections with Matt Campbell, Jim Harbaugh, Jim Tressell, Luke Fickell, Dantonio etc. I think he will be fine. Maybe some learning curve but he will do great.

Didn't UNLV hire a HS coach a few years ago?
Yes. And he was just fired after five unsuccessful seasons.

"UNLV’s hiring of Sanchez made national news because he was making the leap from Bishop Gorman, where he went 85-5 and won the Class 4A state championship all six years. His 2014 team won the mythical national championship.

But his lack of on-field success will be another example of those who argue against elevating a coach from high school to oversee a major college program. Three others who made a similar jump — Todd Dodge to North Texas, Gerry Faust to Notre Dame and Bob Commings to Iowa — all struggled to win at the next level."

The comparison is appropriate. Bishop Gorman, with recruited players steamrolled the h.s. Ranks, same as Hoban. Yet Sanchez found college recruitment a challenge and not the same animal. He was often overmatched in games coaching and failed the dream of being a savior to his supporters.YSU currently has a bad roster, produced by years of bad recruiting by Pelini. If anyone thinks Tyrrell will make the transition from recruiting h.s. Studs that steamroll regular h.s. Kids to recruiting competitive college players vs other same or better players, you better take a pill. He is woefully behind the 8 ball in talent and needs a total revamp. Their best player, Reed, just transferred out. It’s clearly a raging dumpster fire. A lot of bad years to come.

The comparison is appropriate. Bishop Gorman, with recruited players steamrolled the h.s. Ranks, same as Hoban. Yet Sanchez found college recruitment a challenge and not the same animal. He was often overmatched in games coaching and failed the dream of being a savior to his supporters.YSU currently has a bad roster, produced by years of bad recruiting by Pelini. If anyone thinks Tyrrell will make the transition from recruiting h.s. Studs that steamroll regular h.s. Kids to recruiting competitive college players vs other same or better players, you better take a pill. He is woefully behind the 8 ball in talent and needs a total revamp. Their best player, Reed, just transferred out. It’s clearly a raging dumpster fire. A lot of bad years to come.

only positive is Crenshaw signing yesterday, he is going to be the ticket at the FCS level. hopefully they can get some athletes around him.

Crenshaw, if he can win the job, will be behind an OL that returns one starter and he was awful, being tossed around like a rag doll. The other starters will come from a collection of much lesser talents, projects with limited OL playing experience. They lack quality WR although Charleston shows promise. RB is woeful. Their best player, Reed , a DE and all league, just transferred out. There are some promising players on the DL but LBs and DBs are subpar and lacking. No depth and almost all of Pelinis recruit classes have been poor . I see years of big losing ahead. No playoffs. No titles. Near or at the basement of the MVFC.

BTW, rumors persist that more transfers out are coming.

Last edited:
Nice article from The Ringer on how high school coaching experience benefits head coaches-

Doug Pederson played in the NFL for a dozen years and Nagy coached HS while he had a middling Arena League career. They weren't career high school football coaches like Tyrrell.

Crenshaw, if he can win the job, will be behind an OL that returns one starter and he was awful, being tossed around like a rag doll. The other starters will come from a collection of much lesser talents, projects with limited OL playing experience. They lack quality WR although Charleston shows promise. RB is woeful. Their best player, Reed , a DE and all league, just transferred out. There are some promising players on the DL but LBs and DBs are subpar and lacking. No depth and almost all of Pelinis recruit classes have been poor . I see years of big losing ahead. No playoffs. No titles. Near or at the basement of the MVFC.

BTW, rumors persist that more transfers out are coming.
Well this is alarming.

If the roster is as bad as I am reading, then does it really matter if kids are transferring. Remember Tressel had losing records in 2 of his first 3 seasons.

so Tyrell goes to YSU, who steps in at Hoban? any coaches in NE Ohio that have had success at catholic schools previously? What is the Hoban pay? $250k? I know a guy

so Tyrell goes to YSU, who steps in at Hoban? any coaches in NE Ohio that have had success at catholic schools previously? What is the Hoban pay? $250k? I know a guy
Almost certainly one of Tyrell’s assistants. They don’t want to mess with the formula too much. Bringing in an outsider and totally revamping the program could mean the end of the dynasty at Hoban.

I’m “surprised” you don’t know who steps in at Hoban.

I still see Tyrell as a major longshot.

The YSU job may not be what it was, but it's not an east job.

There is pressure with Tressell here and people in this area love their football.

Tyrell seems like an insane move.