Your schools greatest team...

Green Bulldogs 2001
10-4 record. Started 3-3 but won 7 consecutive games to make the state final four.
OR could go with the 2002 team that went 10-2. League title and #1 seed but lost to eventual state runner-up Nordonia in the 2nd round.

My Alma mater, Fremont Ross, could be open to some debate.

As far as Norwalk is concerned, Norwalk 1974 and St. Paul 2009 are clear cut.

Simple choice there. That team had 3 future Ohio state captains on it and 2 of them Mike Doss and Kenny Peterson were captains on the Ohio State National Championship team. That may be one of the best public high school teams this state has ever seen.
1990 St Henry was very dominant too. Bobby Hoying at QB (Ohio State), Jeff Harting at center (Penn State), Scott Brunswick at WR (Toledo), Kevin Niekamp at TE (Ohio State). Unbelievable small school team.

1990 St Henry was very dominant too. Bobby Hoying at QB (Ohio State), Jeff Harting at center (Penn State), Scott Brunswick at WR (Toledo), Kevin Niekamp at TE (Ohio State). Unbelievable small school team.
I'd caution using "dominant" considering they were down 17-0 entering 4th Quarter against Sandusky SMCC in Title Game. Classic meltdown on Panthers behalf.

I'd caution using "dominant" considering they were down 17-0 entering 4th Quarter against Sandusky SMCC in Title Game. Classic meltdown on Panthers behalf.
Fair Point. Also that previous poster mentioned the McKinley team as possibly the greatest public HS team ever in Ohio they barely made it out of the state semis 20-19.

Last edited:
Fair Point. Also that previous poster mentioned the McKinley team as possibly the greatest public HS team ever in Ohio they barely made it out of the state semis 20-19.
The game you speak of was against St.Ignatius who McKinley was playing for a second time that year. McKinley finished the year as the USA Today National Champion which means nothing because it’s a poll title, but is still an amazing accomplishment. They then beat a very good Moeller team for the state title. I think your point actually speaks more about the over rated Tommy McChicken as the HC, even with that loaded roster he almost blew it. He later had a similarly talented team that failed to win a title at Warren G Harding. Most over rated ahead Coach in stark county history

Milton-Union 1979. Gave up 21 points on the year.
went 10-0, but the amazing sportswriters chose St Mary's to go to the playoffs instead.

Uhhh. According to the Harbin archives on the OHSAA site, 1 Milton Union was 10th in their region that year (meaning under NO system do they make the playoffs) and 2 they weren't even IN St. Marys' region.

But let's assume you're correct. Those damn pesky sportswriters and their fancy, biased computer system. ??

Edit: Also, St. Marys didn't even win their region that year. Fostoria did.

Perhaps you mean 78, when SM at least was 1st in their region? I mean, they STILL weren't in MU's region, but at least MU being 3rd and SM being 1st makes sense.

I know I will get corrected by someone from my alma mater, but I would say Canton Central Catholic's 2000 team was the most talented and probably the best. Close second would be the 1988 team that had one of the best defense's I've ever seen, but the talent of the 2000 team was unmatched by any team in Central's history IMO.

Triway, 2014, 11-1

This team was so fun to watch! A statistical monster with a nationally-ranked passing attack. Lots of weapons and a vastly underrated defense. Lost to Kenton 13-6 in the second round of the playoffs. There was no limit to how far this team could have gone had they won that game.

I know I will get corrected by someone from my alma mater, but I would say Canton Central Catholic's 2000 team was the most talented and probably the best. Close second would be the 1988 team that had one of the best defense's I've ever seen, but the talent of the 2000 team was unmatched by any team in Central's history IMO.

That state championship of 2000 between CCC and that underdog Van Wert team was fantastic. Also very cold.

Dont sell them short.....Hoying went to the NFL (Eagles, Raiders, more?), Hartings (Detroit, Steelers SB winner), Brunswick reportedly would have been drafted but a misdiagnosed injury by a Dr (settlement I think) kept him from getting drafted.

Big Red Niekamp had bad knees and that derailed him at OSU.

I want to say there was another kid at RB that went to a smaller college. They had an unreal basketball team as well. I dont know of many, if any, small schools that had the size they put on the court. Some of those smaller gym floors were damned near impossible to navigate with their size.

Think they also had a pretty good state relay team in the spring for track, but that was long ago.

I had the pleasure, or misfortune, of going against those teams. Bobby Hoying won Mr. Football and if you look at the numbers it wasnt eye popping, but put him and those guys in today's wide open offenses man it would have been fun to watch.