Your Favorite Movies

PantherProud

I'm sure we've done this before, but it would have been a long time ago.

You're stuck on a deserted island with a TV, DVD player and your 10 favorite movies.

What are they?

I'm going to cheat a bit.

1). Cool Hand Luke
2). Last of the Mohicans
3). The Departed
4). No Country for Old Men
5). Close Encounters
6). Hoosiers
7). True Grit (both)
8). Star Wars (IV, V, VI)
9). Indiana Jones Series
10). Back to the Future Series

Comedy
1). Caddyshack
2). MacGruber
3). Step Brothers
4). Animal House
5). Blue Brothers
6). Stripes
7). Kingpin
8). There's Something About Mary
9). Me Myself and Irene
10). Beerfest

I would like to help you out, but, I have seen thousands of films, dating from the 1902 to the present and while I could list hundreds of movies I like, I could never put together a list of my "favorites", crossing all genres.

I would like to help you out, but, I have seen thousands of films, dating from the 1902 to the present and while I could list hundreds of movies I like, I could never put together a list of my "favorites", crossing all genres.

So have I. Give it a shot lol.

I’m sure I haven’t seen nearly as many movies as most folks, so most of my choices are pretty obvious mainstream ones. I’d go with:

1. The Big Lebowski — easy #1 for me
2. Swingers — I find this to be a good pick-me-up movie if I’m feeling down, and it’s a quick watch at around 90 minutes or so
3. The Bourne Identity
4. The Bourne Ultimatum
5. The Dark Knight
6. Wolf of Wall Street
7. Caddyshack
8. Good Will Hunting
9. Rounders
10. The Departed

If I could cheat and have a DVD that’s not a movie, the Pearl Jam - Live from New York City (MSG - 7/8/03) DVD has gotten a ton of play over the years.

Honorable mention: Boondock Saints, GoodFellas, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Ocean’s Eleven, Old School, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Joker, The Bourne Supremacy

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Goodfellas
Terminator 2
Back to the Future Trilogy
Skyfall (not a fan of any other James Bond film)
Predator
Rocky series
Mission Impossible part 4 and part 6
No Country for Old Men

No specific order:

Back To The Future
Jurassic Park
Star Wars
Stripes
Ferris Buehler's Day Off
Trading Places
Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Avengers: Endgame
The Dark Knight

I could last on a deserted island a pretty long time with that lineup.

Solar TV

Mars Attacks
How to Survive on a Deserted Island.
The Boat Builder
How to Train Your Dragon (you never know)
Beautiful People
The Gods Must be Crazy
Seven Samurai
Wild Women of Wongo
Slap Shot
Bed Time for Bongo

Last edited:
No specific order:

Back To The Future
Jurassic Park
Star Wars
Stripes
Ferris Buehler's Day Off
Trading Places
Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Avengers: Endgame
The Dark Knight

I could last on a deserted island a pretty long time with that lineup.
I like all of the Indiana Jones movies but The Last Crusade is my favorite by far.

Last edited:
No specific order:

2001 A Space Odyssey
The Special Editions of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy - it's really a 12 hour movie
Dr Strangelove
The Special Edition of The Last of the Mahicans
The Ten Commandments
Ben Hur
The Searchers
Gone with the Wind
The Special Edition of Aliens (sequel to Alien)
Patton

I could probably create a dozen more lists of my 10 favorite movies. There's a lot of good stuff out there.

No specific order:

2001 A Space Odyssey
The Special Editions of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy - it's really a 12 hour movie
Well if I'd know we could cheat,... I'm liking that extra long James Bond movie and that Star Wars movie.

Seriously, What's the special part? Might be worth tracking down instead of the original three?

Well if I'd know we could cheat,... I'm liking that extra long James Bond movie and that Star Wars movie.

Seriously, What's the special part? Might be worth tracking down instead of the original three?
The special editions of the LOTR trilogy are the best special editions ever put out there. First off they add an extra 45 - 60 minutes to EACH movie. They also completely reworked the opening scenes of Hobbit Town in the Fellowship with a much better intro to the Shire, Bilbo, Frodo and Gandalf. It's actually quite audacious.

The Special Editions are much deeper movies that provide crucial context left out of the theatrical versions. There is so much new and compelling stuff that it's almost as if they're different films. For example you get to see the death Sauraman and the confrontation with the Mouth of Sauron at the Black Gate.

If you're intimidated by 12 hours of movie watching view the special edition in one hour bits. It will unfold like a 12 episode season.

Ok, I'll try. Here are my top 15, in no particular order:

Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
American Graffiti (1973)
Breaking Away (1979)
Casablanca (1942)
Winchester 73 (1950)
Godfather II (1974)
The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957)
Stalag 17 (1953)
The Great Escape (1963)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Singing In The Rain (1952)
Gone With The Wind (1939)
Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
High Noon (1952)

Damn, I just got done and I am already having second thoughts.

Last edited:
The special editions of the LOTR trilogy are the best special editions ever put out there. First off they add an extra 45 - 60 minutes to EACH movie. They also completely reworked the opening scenes of Hobbit Town in the Fellowship with a much better intro to the Shire, Bilbo, Frodo and Gandalf. It's actually quite audacious.

The Special Editions are much deeper movies that provide crucial context left out of the theatrical versions. There is so much new and compelling stuff that it's almost as if they're different films. For example you get to see the death Sauraman and the confrontation with the Mouth of Sauron at the Black Gate.

If you're intimidated by 12 hours of movie watching view the special edition in one hour bits. It will unfold like a 12 episode season.

hours upon hours of special features too.

I also highly recommend the special edition of the original Star Wars trilogy. Regardless of the tweaks Lucas made to the movies and how you feel about them, the special features are second to none.

See what you've started? Here's five more:

To Sir With Love (1967)
Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
Glory (1989)
Drums Along the Mohawk (1939)
Mad Max (1979)
Ooh, Glory is a great call! It’s been a minute since that film has popped into my mind.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

American Graffiti (1973)
Breaking Away (1979)
Casablanca (1942)
Winchester 73 (1950)
Godfather II (1974)
Stalag 17 (1953)
The Great Escape (1963)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
High Noon (1952)

Breaking Away. Great underrated movie.

American Graffiti (1973)
Breaking Away (1979)
Casablanca (1942)
Winchester 73 (1950)
Godfather II (1974)
Stalag 17 (1953)
The Great Escape (1963)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
High Noon (1952)

Winchester 73 is a fantastic movie. Jimmy Stewart at his best. One of the great westerns.

In no order;

The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Goodfellas
The Wizard of Oz
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
Black Panther
Airplane
Animal House
Blazing Saddles

In no order;

The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Goodfellas
The Wizard of Oz
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
Black Panther
Airplane
Animal House
Blazing Saddles

Interesting going with two Godfather movies when you're limited to 10.

Winchester 73 is a fantastic movie. Jimmy Stewart at his best. One of the great westerns.
It is my favorite western. With three westerns on my list, Shane (1953) just missed out. If I had added another five, it would have been on my list, but, I already blew-up the rules in listing 15 rather than ten and then added another five. My ten favorites are in there somewhere. I just cannot find them. Suffice it to say that you could pick any random ten films from my list before you ship me off to that island and I would be very content.

1667484925310.png

I left out some movies I really like and some that are really good. Yeah I know, 10, but that's impossible. Believe me, I left off movies that I am addicted to and have watched many times, and no Humphrey Bogart!

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Cool Hand Luke
Hombre
In Harm's Way
Jeremiah Johnson
Lawrence of Arabia
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Sand Pebbles
The Searchers
Stagecoach
They Were Expendable

Last edited:

Can it be found on-line? Might be a reason to grab one of these free trials.

Can it be found on-line? Might be a reason to grab one of these free trials.

$29.95

The original trilogy theatrical plus extended editions

Last edited:
Hmm surprisingly, HBO Max has the extended editions on their streamer for free right now. I think Prime Video does as well but can't tell for sure since I own the digital copies and have them linked to my Prime Video subscription. Prime Video definitely has them available, just not certain if they are free as part of your subscription.

Hmm surprisingly, HBO Max has the extended editions on their streamer for free right now. I think Prime Video does as well but can't tell for sure since I own the digital copies and have them linked to my Prime Video subscription. Prime Video definitely has them available, just not certain if they are free as part of your subscription.
Free is a good price. I'll see if I can hop on board this one.

I'm sure we've done this before, but it would have been a long time ago.

You're stuck on a deserted island with a TV, DVD player and your 10 favorite movies.

What are they?
I am getting a chuckle out of this thread. With this bunch of degenerates Debby does Dallas and DeepThroat would be the top of their list and get the most air play. ;) None of them are as sophisticated as I am.
clown GIF by Team Coco