You make the call. PI or not? NY at Fairland

If they're calling it on any of the kids around the defender who intercepted it.... I don't see it.

Watch the reaction of the defender coming in from behind the play. He reacted right away like he knew that he had interfered. Looks like he swiped with his right hand across the receiver.

Based on where the official was that threw the flag, I'm betting that is the defender he called it on. The shame is that it wasn't necessary as his teammate had an easy interception.

In this image, the ball is circled in red. The defender is on the receiver's back. Way too difficult to tell if there is contact from this view but the official that threw the flag had an excellent angle to see the play.

Capture.JPG

Plus it looks like the kid knew it too in the video

looked to me 4 was reacting to the flag, not his own play. He reacted about the same time the announcer mentioned the flag.

I'm not seeing anything in the video that says interference. Freeze at 14 seconds. Then step. The ball was intercepted (15 second mark) before the receiver was even in 4's reach, Within any of the defenders' reaches.

Fairland has the ball with three seconds to go and down 28-27. NY picks off Fairland with no time left but a PI is called. Fairland kicks a game winning field goal to win with no time left.

There is definite contact while the ball is in the air, but it's tough to tell from this angle. The back judge is in perfect position to see this. I guess that's why they put the officials on the field instead of in the press box so they can see the play better.

Nobody can look at this video and say with 100% accuracy that there was no contact or was contact by the defender against the receiver.

This official may have made the call of the year or may have made the call of the year. ;)

Watch the reaction of the defender coming in from behind the play. He reacted right away like he knew that he had interfered. Looks like he swiped with his right hand across the receiver.

Based on where the official was that threw the flag, I'm betting that is the defender he called it on. The shame is that it wasn't necessary as his teammate had an easy interception.
Good call because I see the same thing.
Have to say good call by the ref, who was right there.

Whose, mine? I'm not even from that area. The only bias I would have would be that video. Why, you see something different?
It's just like the replays in college. Press box and announcers should not be allowed to see the replays or show them over and over at slower and slower speed. There's a reason the officials are on the field and not in a cozy room watching on a TV screen. If you don't have input to making the call then you have no reason to be involved.

It's just like the replays in college. Press box and announcers should not be allowed to see the replays or show them over and over at slower and slower speed. There's a reason the officials are on the field and not in a cozy room watching on a TV screen. If you don't have input to making the call then you have no reason to be involved.

have you ever second guessed a coach or player? If so explain the difference if not ....we’ll hard to believe but ok.
sometimes people in all positions have to just take it. When it comes to criticism

There is definite contact while the ball is in the air, but it's tough to tell from this angle. The back judge is in perfect position to see this. I guess that's why they put the officials on the field instead of in the press box so they can see the play better.
then why do they have instant replay in the high levels? This is a fair discussion. At what point in the video are you seeing this contact? The target receiver comes from off screen into the zone between the three defenders. It appears to me that the ball is in the defender's hands before anyone else could be within reaching distance, let alone while the ball is in the air. 14 sec mark.

This is a discussion board. It's what we do. ?

And by definition, those in the college/pro replay booth do have input into making the call. Those on the field know they are only part of the process. I don't necessarily like it either but denying reality isn't going to get me what I want. I suppose in some respects, it does protect the integrity of the game from corruption.

But I think that's a different discussion than whether or not this video supports or conflicts the call on this play.

This is a discussion board. It's what we do. ?

And by definition, those in the college/pro replay booth do have input into making the call. Those on the field know they are only part of the process. I don't necessarily like it either but denying reality isn't going to get me what I want. I suppose in some respects, it does protect the integrity of the game from corruption.

But I think that's a different discussion than whether or not this video supports or conflicts the call on this play.
In the replay booth not in the broadcast booth.

have you ever second guessed a coach or player? If so explain the difference if not ....we’ll hard to believe but ok.
sometimes people in all positions have to just take it. When it comes to criticism
There's a difference in second guessing and in harping on a call that they're dissecting millisecond by millisecond without ever mentioning that the whole play occurred in half a second but they were to see it wasn't the correct call. It doesn't happen so much on national broadcasts, but often have the regional broadcasters, BTN, ACC, SEC, LHN, PAC12 been more interested in hearing themselves talk than paying attention to the game. On occasion not even knowing what just happened. Criticism, I've had my a s s chewed by McGeorge Bundy so don't talk to me about criticism.

then why do they have instant replay in the high levels? This is a fair discussion. At what point in the video are you seeing this contact? The target receiver comes from off screen into the zone between the three defenders. It appears to me that the ball is in the defender's hands before anyone else could be within reaching distance, let alone while the ball is in the air. 14 sec mark.
The higher levels have high definition slow motion videos from multiple cameras very close to the field. All we have here is a grainy low definition from at least 200 feet away.

The only contact is the Fairland player on the NY player

The NY player doesn't hook the Fairland WR arm? Don't need much contact to draw a foul if you are hooking an arm of a receiver as ball floats his way

The NY player doesn't hook the Fairland WR arm? Don't need much contact to draw a foul if you are hooking an arm of a receiver as ball floats his way
Also two plays before this NY intercepts the ball but the ref says it hit the ground. The slow motion looks like an interception. Hopefully Ohsaa bans this Huntington/Fairland crew for the rest of the playoffs. Knowing the person that runs Ohsaa, he will give them a state game because SEO thinks they suck

In the replay booth not in the broadcast booth.

No one in the broadcast booth makes decisions about what happens on the field. Their job is to comment on what's on the field, including opinions. I don't see your gripe but it's yours to have.

The higher levels have high definition slow motion videos from multiple cameras very close to the field. All we have here is a grainy low definition from at least 200 feet away.

that hardly precludes discussing it. And it's not that grainy. It's not grainy at all. Sure, a lot can happen in 1/26th of a second. We're only commenting that nothing in THAT video show even a possibility that offensive player was inhibited in anyway. Ball was already in the hands of the defensive player. Heck, he wasn't even touched after the interception. He went into the "oh no" mode instead of chasing the play.