Yellowstone Shared Universe

Last edited:
I started Yellowstone approximately a month and half ago. I'm through most of season 4. It has definitely slowly gone downhill through the first four seasons. I don't get Paramount but have watched the past seasons through Peacock. I can't say I am disappointed by not being able to jump into season 5.

It seems that with each season Sheridan and the writers feel obligated to outdo the prior season to that the storylines and characters become less and less believable. I used to enjoy the character of Beth Dutton but she's become so persistently outrageous that she's almost a caricature of the original.

I started Yellowstone approximately a month and half ago. I'm through most of season 4. It has definitely slowly gone downhill through the first four seasons. I don't get Paramount but have watched the past seasons through Peacock. I can't say I am disappointed by not being able to jump into season 5.

It seems that with each season Sheridan and the writers feel obligated to outdo the prior season to that the storylines and characters become less and less believable. I used to enjoy the character of Beth Dutton but she's become so persistently outrageous that she's almost a caricature of the original.

Interesting. I thought they toned Season 4 back after the crazy Season 3 ending.

Sling broadcast the first two episodes of season 5 so I was able to watch. They were entertaining but not exceptional. Beth is now joined by a new character, a female working for Market Equities, in the almost cartoon ish character department. I love some of the lines they give Beth but she is so far out there that she's no longer a credible believable character.

I think the show does a good job of not alienating huge chunks of people. Everything coming out of the entertainment industry has a political angle - and this show does too, but those on the right can enjoy the opposition to hippie environmentalism and the ridicule of all the Californians fleeing what they have created to get a respite in Montana. Beth's dressing down of the Northwestern professor was epic! Those on the left have conservation of land, Native American struggles, corporate greed and corruption, etc.

I'm someone that recoils at how dysfunctional each character is. The least disturbed person is perhaps Kayce or Monica, maybe Mo, but each of them have had their dysfunctional moments. There is no character that morally anchors the show. It's more a bunch of people who have a few things and people they care about and a few principles they live by, but they will do anything to anyone outside of that. It's an unrealistic but interesting story. It makes you root for some very flawed people to rise above, do the right thing, and be the hero - but they rarely do, and if they do, they are doing something horrible shortly. But, somehow, it works as entertainment.

The writers need to make sure they don't jump the shark and start to lose viewers. They have come close.

I think the show does a good job of not alienating huge chunks of people. Everything coming out of the entertainment industry has a political angle - and this show does too, but those on the right can enjoy the opposition to hippie environmentalism and the ridicule of all the Californians fleeing what they have created to get a respite in Montana. Beth's dressing down of the Northwestern professor was epic! Those on the left have conservation of land, Native American struggles, corporate greed and corruption, etc.

I'm someone that recoils at how dysfunctional each character is. The least disturbed person is perhaps Kayce or Monica, maybe Mo, but each of them have had their dysfunctional moments. There is no character that morally anchors the show. It's more a bunch of people who have a few things and people they care about and a few principles they live by, but they will do anything to anyone outside of that. It's an unrealistic but interesting story. It makes you root for some very flawed people to rise above, do the right thing, and be the hero - but they rarely do, and if they do, they are doing something horrible shortly. But, somehow, it works as entertainment.

The writers need to make sure they don't jump the shark and start to lose viewers. They have come close.

At least they got the required Beth verbally assaults someone at a bar and Jamie in his office scenes out of the way early.

At least they got the required Beth verbally assaults someone at a bar and Jamie in his office scenes out of the way early.
If they're not planning on some great resurrection story for Jamie, I wish they just let him blow his brains out and get it over with. He's become one of the more irritating characters on the show.

Great opening to the new season. One of the best shows on TV.
I agree, one of the best TV shows around. Up there with Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc. in my opinion. Interesting story lines with drama, beautiful panoramic scenery, great action, characters we care about, and characters we hate.

However, minor pet peeve, they are playing fast and loose with geography. When the Duttons are in Helena (state capital), it is a solid 2.5 hours from Paradise Valley where the ranch is. But Beth seems to come and go frequently, and John talked about a 'quiet hour' in the car on the drive back. At least John did talk about how infrequently he is at the ranch now.

Even worse, when Kayce was catching the horse wranglers at the Canadian border, there is nowhere on the Montana/Canada border with a river as the divider. And he told Monica he would meet her at the hospital in Billings for her to have the baby, well, that is a good 5-6 hour drive.

I realize this is fiction, and I'm a bit of a weirdo for things like this, but let's please keep it real when referencing real places...

This week’s episode felt really short though it ended up being 50 minutes. Granted in 76 minutes runtime, meaning there were still 26 minutes of commercials and credits.

I suppose still short based on normal metrics. Based on normal tv lengths, it should have been about 3 1/2 minutes longer.

Naw, they just got the FIRST one out of the way. That's one cartoonish character. Well, the whole show is pretty much a cartoon for virtue signalling and those that wish they could but that character more than others. It's whole design is to push buttons, regardless there's any realistic process or accountability. Each prequil following the same model. The trainwreck you can't turn away from. People like their pretense and having their buttons pushed. Evidence the DB. They hit on a good forumula.

Last edited:
did watch some of the 1883 show over the weekend.... saw a scene where Tom Hanks as Union soldier sits down with TUg McGraws son after a battle..... was Hanks in other scenes of this show?