Xfl 2.0

The thing thaw really killed the XFL last time was that the football just sucked. After all the gimmicks and everything it was still basically minor league footbal with horrendous QB play. That will be hard for the XFL to change.

So Johnny Football wouldn't be a part of this league?

If they changed the criminal aspect part and allowed him to play that may buy viewers for a game or two

I'd assume felonies would be the focus as far as that goes. I can't imagine them turning away someone like Manziel.

The thing thaw really killed the XFL last time was that the football just sucked. After all the gimmicks and everything it was still basically minor league footbal with horrendous QB play. That will be hard for the XFL to change.

It was bad football. I don't remember last time how much advanced the teams stsrted practicing but it is like watching expansion team......,,..for the whole leavue

I think the schedule, January through spring is a better time frame. Still in football mode,P eolple still stuck indoors in the winter

I don't see how there could possibly be a market for more football, much less low quality football. Seems over saturated as is.

Their best bet is to pay whatever it takes to sign Tebow, Manziel, and Kaepernick.

Yep, the talent pool is already thinned out by the large number of NFL teams. This isn't the 60's with excess talent and large markets available that an AFL could exploit.

If they get the rules right and keep the shenanigans out, it has a chance. I don't think anyone expects the quality of football to be amazing but there's no reason it can't be at least as entertaining as college football.

No one in the northern US is going to go sit outside to watch second rate football in January-February. The teams will all have to be in warm weather cities to be successful and no NFL team is going to let the XFL share a stadium with them. So that leaves cities like Orlando, San Diego, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Memphis etc, most of which have had USFL/CFL/USL teams that have all failed. I just don't think there's going to be an appetite for MORE football after the NFL and NCAA season is ending or in the playoffs. Nobody's going to keep watching ugly football simply because the players are forced to stand for the anthem, ffs, and it's hilarious that that's one of the league's major selling points already :laugh: In the end it's going to be a lot of bad football in mostly empty stadiums just like the old XFL and every other challenger the NFL has ever had. If you want that just wait until the CFL starts in June. Props to McMahon for trying though

The only cold weather cities they had last time around were Chicago and New York. I expect they'll start out with something like San Francisco, LA, Portland, Dallas/San Antonio, Orlando, Atlanta, Chicago, and New York.

I don't see why NFL teams would turn down a potential tenant for otherwise empty stadiums. Plus, with MLS stadiums around this time, I'd expect the league to use those in LA (StubHub Center), Portland (Providence Park), Dallas (Toyota Stadium), Orlando (Orlando City Stadium), Chicago (Toyota Park), and New York/New Jersey (Red Bull Arena).

Last edited:
Playing in small MLS stadiums will be a must because no one's going to want to watch Brandon Weeden throw to a bunch of other washed up NFL guys. There's just not going to be that much interest in bad football in the Spring. The first 3-5 games may be a success until the novelty wears off but I'll be surprised if it lasts three seasons. Would probably be better if they started in the Fall and just went head to head with the NFL imo.

At least with me, I'm fairly burned out on football after the SB is over. February-March is for basketball, then it's baseball up until August/September when football starts. I tend to think most other people are the same way

I don't watch the NFL much anyway TBH. The same excitement just isn't there compared to college.

Still I don't see how more opportunities for decent players that never got a shot in the NFL could be a bad thing. Plenty of undrafted college prospects could land in the XFL.

I think the expectations will be much less this time. It won't make much of a splash, but heck, look at all the crap on TV now. The audiences are so fragmented, you'll have enough gamblers/ fantasy geeks to keep the interest level at a certain number. They'll need to somehow convince a TV network (ESPN/ FOX or someone like that) to throw some money their way.

You have to give McMahon credit, he's jumping in with both feet with his own money. Incredible to me that pro wrestling generates that kind of scratch, but as I mentioned before, nothing shocks me anymore with what people watch.
One thing McMahon will probably have to concede is employing players with criminal backgrounds. I'm not sure he's going to find enough "good enough" football players to make this league enticing to the viewer.
The other thing is since he's the sole funding mechanism of the league, what are players going to be paid? If he can't even approach what Arena league players make, then the quality of play will be, again, at a low enough level that few will watch.

Playing in small MLS stadiums will be a must because no one's going to want to watch Brandon Weeden throw to a bunch of other washed up NFL guys. There's just not going to be that much interest in bad football in the Spring. The first 3-5 games may be a success until the novelty wears off but I'll be surprised if it lasts three seasons. Would probably be better if they started in the Fall and just went head to head with the NFL imo.

At least with me, I'm fairly burned out on football after the SB is over. February-March is for basketball, then it's baseball up until August/September when football starts. I tend to think most other people are the same way

Football season is so short I don't think all that many are burnt out on it at the end of the season. And by the time the XFL starts up, most fans' teams will have been done for at least a month.

For me, all that's left to watch from February to April is hockey. I really don't care that much about basketball. This would give me something else to watch at least.

I think they would do well to avoid using too many old NFL players and focus more on guys that are only a few years removed from college. Like I said before, there's no reason the level of football can't at least be as good as college football.

Last edited: