WW coaching search!

There is a lot that Cargile did behind the scenes for funding for Taft. And truthfully that was part of the conflict with him and Taft, no support. He paid for uniforms out of his own pocket one year and even secured a grant on his own last year to get the kids new uniforms. His past experiences are what allowed him to connect with Taft players and parents were happy to send their kids to be coached under him. He has a lot of connections all around the city so I don't see funding being an issue regardless. He is truly a humble person and his resume is impressive. It also worth noting that he has held other coaching positions prior to CPS and his record was not an issue.
He still has a few connections in Columbus too, as he played for the Buckeyes.

From the outside looking in this job looks wide open. Considering some of the candidates mention I dont think there is a clear favorite.

Murphy- Fired from last HC job. Yes he was good for the kids but no winning seasons in 6 years there. Mahon came in and made them better instantly.

Calvin Johnson- Fired from Princeton. Mediocre at Deer Park. Where has he won a lot of games?

Cargile- Fired from Taft but did have a ton of success there. Best Candidate in my opinion hands down!

From the outside looking in this job looks wide open. Considering some of the candidates mention I dont think there is a clear favorite.

Murphy- Fired from last HC job. Yes he was good for the kids but no winning seasons in 6 years there. Mahon came in and made them better instantly.

Calvin Johnson- Fired from Princeton. Mediocre at Deer Park. Where has he won a lot of games?

Cargile- Fired from Taft but did have a ton of success there. Best Candidate in my opinion hands down!

I'll address bolded comments in order...

1. At the end of the day that actually matters more to me than his W-L record at Hamilton. Should Murph have taken that job??? Hindsight being 20-20 probably not, as has been mentioned numerous times Hamilton has destroyed many a coaching career record % over time. He was also at NW where he took a bottom feeder from 2-8 to 8-2 and the playoffs.

2. Mahon has gone 5-6 and 6-4, he inherited arguably the most talented class in the past 10-15 years at Hamilton (9-1 as freshman). I have nothing against Coach Mahon but lets give it a year or two and we'll reexamine your statement.

3. Come on man. You can't be serious. Give me the cat from Hughes before him, way too much baggage. WW just moved into a new league, you want to go rouge and hire Coach Cargile??? This will really be GREATLY received.

Last edited:

First off Murphy was at Northwest! It’s extremely difficult to win there. They did go to the playoffs! He is highly favored at WW.

Calvin won games at Aiken, when they hadn’t won since the ‘80’s. Had a young West Hi team going in the right direction. Deer Park they have one more games under him than they have won in many years. Even made the playoffs a couple of times. Which the never did before. They are now competitive.
Johnson is a Forest Park/WW guy that’s highly regarded in the community!

Cargile got fired for taking a stand with CPS Administration. He thought they should have been playing instead of sitting out for as long as they did. That is why he got fired. Had nothing to do with coaching football. The WW Superintendent and Principal called him to interview

First off Murphy was at Northwest! It’s extremely difficult to win there. They did go to the playoffs! He is highly favored at WW.

Calvin won games at Aiken, when they hadn’t won since the ‘80’s. Had a young West Hi team going in the right direction. Deer Park they have one more games under him than they have won in many years. Even made the playoffs a couple of times. Which the never did before. They are now competitive.
Johnson is a Forest Park/WW guy that’s highly regarded in the community!

Cargile got fired for taking a stand with CPS Administration. He thought they should have been playing instead of sitting out for as long as they did. That is why he got fired. Had nothing to do with coaching football. The WW Superintendent and Principal called him to interview

I'm well aware why he was fired and not holding that against him in anyway. That is why I said he is the best candidate in my opinion. He did great things at Taft.

What did he win at Aiken? 3-6, 0-10,6-4 losing record. He didnt take them to the playoffs like Pflug did. What happened at Princeton? More losing, then the next guy comes in and goes 6-4 right away.

1. At the end of the day that actually matters more to me than his W-L record at Hamilton. Should Murph have taken that job??? Hindsight being 20-20 probably not, as has been mentioned numerous times Hamilton has destroyed many a coaching career record % over time. He was also at NW where he took a bottom feeder from 2-8 to 8-2 and the playoffs.

2. Mahon has gone 5-6 and 6-4, he inherited arguably the most talented class in the past 10-15 years at Hamilton (9-1 as freshman). I have nothing against Coach Mahon but lets give it a year or two and we'll reexamine your statement.

3. Come on man. You can't be serious. Give me the cat from Hughes before him, way too much baggage. WW just moved into a new league, you want to go rouge and hire Coach Cargile??? This will really be GREATLY received.

In 6 years he couldn't develop any talent? Then Magically talent is there when hes leaving? Come on now stop with the excuses. They went 1-9 then Mahon takes them to the playoffs the VERY NEXT YEAR. You'd take the Hughes Coach over Cargile???? In a few years maybe but no way right now. Cargile has made the playoffs every single year as a Head Coach. No other candidate mentioned can say that.

I'm well aware why he was fired and not holding that against him in anyway. That is why I said he is the best candidate in my opinion. He did great things at Taft.

What did he win at Aiken? 3-6, 0-10,6-4 losing record. He didnt take them to the playoffs like Pflug did. What happened at Princeton? More losing, then the next guy comes in and goes 6-4 right away.
Aiken wasn’t winning ANY GAMES.
Princeton was in shambles when he got there. He actually was building the program again. Strong attendance in the weight room, discipline, doing things in the community. He did have some young teams. New coach benefitted from what was done before.Look we don’t have to agree. At Aiken they were in a higher division and the playoffs hadn’t expanded. His first year he barely had players to play. He numbers got better each year.

In 6 years he couldn't develop any talent? Then Magically talent is there when hes leaving? Come on now stop with the excuses. They went 1-9 then Mahon takes them to the playoffs the VERY NEXT YEAR. You'd take the Hughes Coach over Cargile???? In a few years maybe but no way right now. Cargile has made the playoffs every single year as a Head Coach. No other candidate mentioned can say that.
I like Cargile and he is a good coach but Taft is like D5 he should have made it every year

I won't discredit Coach Cargile's body of work at Taft. As I stated before he did a nice job. He was also playing some dumpster fire programs for the most part and if I remember correctly Coach Conwell before him was winning games and making it to the playoffs.

You bring up a good point about developing talent in a 6 year span at Hamilton. Actually 6 years at Hamilton is a long time. With that being said anyone in the know at Hamilton whose being honest will tell you that the '21 and '22 classes at Hamilton are beyond normal athletically. Time could prove me wrong but I don't think it will.

As been mentioned before Hamilton has hired multiple HOF Coaches with state titles on their resume (Place, Jacoby) in the past 15-20 years NONE could sustain any long term success there.

Just found out the Hughes Head Coach and the Gamble Head Coach are in the mix also
This would be an upgrade for them coming from a CPS school.They could get Parker money and be happy! If they can also teach in district that would be icing on the cake

I won't discredit Coach Cargile's body of work at Taft. As I stated before he did a nice job. He was also playing some dumpster fire programs for the most part and if I remember correctly Coach Conwell before him was winning games and making it to the playoffs.

You bring up a good point about developing talent in a 6 year span at Hamilton. Actually 6 years at Hamilton is a long time. With that being said anyone in the know at Hamilton whose being honest will tell you that the '21 and '22 classes at Hamilton are beyond normal athletically. Time could prove me wrong but I don't think it will.

As been mentioned before Hamilton has hired multiple HOF Coaches with state titles on their resume (Place, Jacoby) in the past 15-20 years NONE could sustain any long term success there.
But who did he play??? Beating Northwest by 3 is not a big boy W....doesn’t mean he is a bad coach but if you develop kids maybe a Harrison or Milford could be a resume builder

Interviews are over! Their was a total of 11 candidates. Including an assistant coach from Central State. Decision will be made by Friday! GO WARRIORS!
No second round interviews? This seems like a very quick turnaround for an EXTREMELY important decision. The wrong hire will set WW back 10+ years.

No second round interviews? This seems like a very quick turnaround for an EXTREMELY important decision. The wrong hire will set WW back 10+ years.
Can’t confirm but the top 2 candidates will be reviewed by the principal and Superintendent. Trying to get verification

Aiken wasn’t winning ANY GAMES.
Princeton was in shambles when he got there. He actually was building the program again. Strong attendance in the weight room, discipline, doing things in the community. He did have some young teams. New coach benefitted from what was done before.Look we don’t have to agree. At Aiken they were in a higher division and the playoffs hadn’t expanded. His first year he barely had players to play. He numbers got better each year.
There wasn’t strong attendance in weight room he told me that personally, that’s why he was having theme days and a table got broke , he did do things in community, great guy over all , but not a coach that can continue a winning program, he is a fixer or turn the program a round type of guy

There wasn’t strong attendance in weight room he told me that personally, that’s why he was having theme days and a table got broke , he did do things in community, great guy over all , but not a coach that can continue a winning program, he is a fixer or turn the program a round type of guy
I can accept that. At one time he told me the weightlifting was improving but I lost contact for a while