WVSSAC Releases Wrestling Modifications for 2020

It has some good points.

The two weigh ins per week is counterproductive. I'm very critical of that one.

quote from a West Virginia article 4 days ago regarding high school sports, looks like they followed through with this request according to the document you posted

“I would anticipate if we don’t have any delays in the rest of the fall season, there may be a little delay in wrestling and swimming. But I would expect basketball to go on time. I would think the delay in wrestling would be because we are going to limit what you can participate in. The big tournaments are going to go away because we just don’t want to bring all those people together.”

I also don’t like the elimination of regular weigh ins. If we are only doing a few dozen kids it can easily be managed safely and orderly. It puts an unnecessary cloud of doubt on the integrity of the sport. I am sure there will be a lot of disagreement with me here—but why leave any question here—the risk seems to me virtually negligible in the grand scheme of things.

I also don’t like the elimination of regular weigh ins. If we are only doing a few dozen kids it can easily be managed safely and orderly. It puts an unnecessary cloud of doubt on the integrity of the sport. I am sure there will be a lot of disagreement with me here—but why leave any question here—the risk seems to me virtually negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Agree. Conduct the weigh-ins on the gym floor with everyone wearing singlets. Plenty of space to distance and no congregating in the locker room with another school.

Lots of folks have been pushing for mat side weigh-ins for years to curb weight cutting. Maybe this is the year to give it a shot.

It could be done safely and quickly and eliminates any potential doubts about the integrity of the process.

I would like to see the big Ohio Tournaments put together protocols for those tournaments, submit them to OHSAA/Governor and see what they say before just cancelling them like some have already done.

If Ohio does go to Duals, Tri's, and Quads they really need to make a move soon so that the coaches can start doing some shifting around with the schedules to make sure that they are getting the maximum number of matches as possible. jmo

Last edited:
I would like to see the big Ohio Tournaments put together protocols for those tournaments, submit them to OHSAA/Governor and see what they say before just cancelling them some have already done.

If Ohio does go to Duals, Tri's, and Quads they really need to make a move soon so that the coaches can start doing some shifting around with the schedules to make sure that they are getting the maximum number of matches as possible. jmo

Agree 100% that coaches and ADs need to know soon so they can schedule.

But really want the mentality to be that quads are the minimum size match to expect. 5- and 6-team weekend events should be commonplace. Straight duals, and even tris, are a waste of an event. This mindset will lead to a pretty good season, with plenty of matches.

Agree 100% that coaches and ADs need to know soon so they can schedule.

But really want the mentality to be that quads are the minimum size match to expect. 5- and 6-team weekend events should be commonplace. Straight duals, and even tris, are a waste of an event. This mindset will lead to a pretty good season, with plenty of matches.

I hope that we have 5 and 6 team weekend events and even a couple 8 team tournaments, but I don't agree that duals are a waste. I hope my son's team gets their normal dual schedule vs rivals to accompany the weekend events.

I hope that we have 5 and 6 team weekend events and even a couple 8 team tournaments, but I don't agree that duals are a waste. I hope my son's team gets their normal dual schedule vs rivals to accompany the weekend events.
Completely agree

Looks like the big restriction here is no more than 150 people.

So 14x4 = 56. Coaches ~ 8. Table workers/stats ~ 6. 2 officials? That leaves 78 for spectators. That's tough.

Last edited:

We have 12 events. If you use some of those on individual duals, or perhaps several, you're going to have a very thin season. There won't be any 2-day tournaments to give wrestlers 5-10 matches for an event, to build out a season.

And if you get lazy ADs who only schedule their league matches as duals, and a couple of other local teams, you are literally talking about having a 12-match season, maybe 16 matches. That's what I am adamant about avoiding.

As for weekday matches, that is exactly the type of thing that runs contrary to safe protocols re: COVID19. Why bother with all of this safety if we go and undo all of it? That shouldn't even be on the table for discussion.

We have 12 events. If you use some of those on individual duals, or perhaps several, you're going to have a very thin season. There won't be any 2-day tournaments to give wrestlers 5-10 matches for an event, to build out a season.

And if you get lazy ADs who only schedule their league matches as duals, and a couple of other local teams, you are literally talking about having a 12-match season, maybe 16 matches. That's what I am adamant about avoiding.

As for weekday matches, that is exactly the type of thing that runs contrary to safe protocols re: COVID19. Why bother with all of this safety if we go and undo all of it? That shouldn't even be on the table for discussion.

I didn't realize that the OHSAA released a limit of 12 events. It's always been by points in the past, not number of events. Last year we had 15 events, not counting state duals and the state ind. series. I get your point on weekday events though regarding safety protocols - doesn't make sense to do them.

I didn't realize that the OHSAA released a limit of 12 events. It's always been by points in the past, not number of events. Last year we had 15 events, not counting state duals and the state ind. series. I get your point on weekday events though regarding safety protocols - doesn't make sense to do them.

My error. You are right. It's 20 points total. Duals only count as 1/2 point. Tri- as 1 point. Quads/1 day tourneys count as 2 points.

(I've been in a different state for some years, where it was 12 event limit. Duals were an event just as much as a 16 team, 1-day tournament)

20201015_222829.jpg

My error. You are right. It's 20 points total. Duals only count as 1/2 point. Tri- as 1 point. Quads/1 day tourneys count as 2 points.

(I've been in a different state for some years, where it was 12 event limit. Duals were an event just as much as a 16 team, 1-day tournament)

Wow - in that case I'm not sure how it would ever make sense to wrestle duals. I'm not a fan of that setup regardless of pandemic or not.

Wow - in that case I'm not sure how it would ever make sense to wrestle duals. I'm not a fan of that setup regardless of pandemic or not.

Yeah, first year was only two duals (conference mates). Next years were 3 and then 4. Suddenly you realize how much weaker the schedule got.